• 1 Post By Olaf
  • 2 Post By Peterb
  • 5 Post By SanDue
  • 2 Post By Borneo
  • 1 Post By Borneo
  • 2 Post By Olaf

Thread: Happy Trail Cargo Rack

Happy Trail Cargo Rack

Here are a few pics of my new Happy Trail cargo rack. Pain in the butt to install, but very happy with the finished product.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SanDue likes this.

Don't know why those two pics came out sideways...they were straight on my computer.

Nice rack1 No prob I just flipped the monitor around.
    Purple and Olaf like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I looked at a lot of racks before deciding on this one. Some were so small they seemed useless, and a few were ridiculously large. I also didn't like the Cyclerack one with the bars running down the side of the bike. Also, a lot of racks had a slot to just mount it between the blinker and frame, using the factory nut to hold in place, which didn't seem very secure. This one is bolted to the frame in four places, and just seemed like the right size with a 12"x19" platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Thanks. I looked at a lot of racks before deciding on this one. Some were so small they seemed useless, and a few were ridiculously large. I also didn't like the Cyclerack one with the bars running down the side of the bike. Also, a lot of racks had a slot to just mount it between the blinker and frame, using the factory nut to hold in place, which didn't seem very secure. This one is bolted to the frame in four places, and just seemed like the right size with a 12"x19" platform.
    We received the Happy Trails Rack as gifts, not our first choice. There is a warning not to load more then seven pounds on the back of these bikes. I didn't want to believe them so why should you? Both our frames broke with little weight on them. We welded a support from the rear foot peg to the rack for support. It's bullet proof now. You may want to consider this option before your frame breaks, because it is going to break. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

Edit--- click on photo and it will right it's self, don't know why.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SanDue; 09-06-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Nice bracing SanDue. I do not believe the top rack is designed to be a stand alone item, but you solved that. When incorporated with the pannier mounts like I have it's totally bomber...you could haul an elephant on it if you could get him to load up.
    jeepster09 and SanDue like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Nice bracing SanDue. I do not believe the top rack is designed to be a stand alone item, but you solved that. When incorporated with the pannier mounts like I have it's totally bomber...you could haul an elephant on it if you could get him to load up.
    Show us your pannier mounts if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure something out for our panniers (canvas bags) Dirts a Flyen SanDue

My bike is still loaded, I just got back. The panniers are large and block the view of the mounts. Click on the link I'm putting below and open the various images. You can see how it's designed as an integrated system. The pannier racks can function without the top rack, but as I said, I do not believe the top rack was designed to be stand alone. This pannier rack and top rack system is in my opinion the very best out there for heavy load carrying over long distance and on rough terrain. You will have zero issues with it.

Additional Images - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers
    SanDue likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Now that's what I call a "nice rack". Thanks. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

Quote Originally Posted by SanDue View Post
    We received the Happy Trails Rack as gifts, not our first choice. There is a warning not to load more then seven pounds on the back of these bikes. I didn't want to believe them so why should you? Both our frames broke with little weight on them. We welded a support from the rear foot peg to the rack for support. It's bullet proof now. You may want to consider this option before your frame breaks, because it is going to break. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

Edit--- click on photo and it will right it's self, don't know why.
    Just got around to reading these...I assumed that the 7 lb. weight limit applied to the black plastic stock "carrier", which is basically the top of the rear fender. I figured this rack would hold quite a bit more weight since it's bolted to the frame. Just seems crazy that the frame itself would break unless you have a crazy load on back. Well either way I plan on adding the side rack as well, which connects to the foot peg bar for extra support (the exact setup that Borneo posted). Guess I'll take it easy til then. Thanks for the heads up.
    SanDue and littletommy like this.

Sponosred Links