My Superfast '87
Close
    
    
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: My Superfast '87

  1. #1
    Senior Member sub251's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    103

    My Superfast '87

    Picked up an '87 a few months back. It came with the DG exhaust, handguards, and a well-worn rack. Here's my build so far, along with a few pics. Just about ready to hit the trails.

    Updates so far:
    DMO pegs
    Hammerhead YZ250 forged shift lever
    Doubletake folding enduro mirrors
    Pro-Taper SE CR High Bend bars
    New levers and grips
    Wrapped the header
    Quiet Core 1" insert
    Shock Sox 6" Vintage Fork Seal Protectors
    battery tender quick connect


    Future plans:
    skid plate
    new handguards
    update lights and blinkers
    tool tube
    extra keys for the gas cap - (if anyone knows of a good source for blanks, my locksmith can't find any for the gas cap)

    Here are a few pics:

    Image-1 (6).jpgImage-1 (5).jpg

    Phil
    1987 TW200
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250s
    2012 Honda CRF250x
    2019 Beta 200 RR

  2. #2
    Senior Member pred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia and Pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    545
    Heres a super fast RED 87.
    87tw200.jpg

  3. #3
    Senior Member sub251's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    103
    Added a Ricochet skid plate, high fender and a puppy. Next up, that tire.Image-1 (8).jpg
    1987 TW200
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250s
    2012 Honda CRF250x
    2019 Beta 200 RR

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member grewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Armstrong BC
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by sub251 View Post
    Picked up an '87 a few months back. It came with the DG exhaust, handguards, and a well-worn rack. Here's my build so far, along with a few pics. Just about ready to hit the trails.

    Updates so far:
    DMO pegs
    Hammerhead YZ250 forged shift lever
    Doubletake folding enduro mirrors
    Pro-Taper SE CR High Bend bars
    New levers and grips
    Wrapped the header
    Quiet Core 1" insert
    Shock Sox 6" Vintage Fork Seal Protectors
    battery tender quick connect


    Future plans:
    skid plate
    new handguards
    update lights and blinkers
    tool tube
    extra keys for the gas cap - (if anyone knows of a good source for blanks, my locksmith can't find any for the gas cap)

    Here are a few pics:

    Image-1 (6).jpgImage-1 (5).jpg

    Phil
    very nice looking bike! your shifter appears to be sticking way out, like it's begging to be hit and bent
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Greg

    2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

  6. #5
    Senior Member sponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesquite Nevada
    Posts
    636
    After careful consideration I decided that there wasn't enough gas in the tank to worry about locking it. I turned the key to the lock position and cut the locking tang off with a dremel tool. Done and done. Others have taken the cap apart and removed the mechanism. Much better to be able to just drive up to the pump take off the cap and fill the tank. I haven't missed the lock a bit.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

  7. #6
    Senior Member Flathats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge View Post
    After careful consideration I decided that there wasn't enough gas in the tank to worry about locking it. I turned the key to the lock position and cut the locking tang off with a dremel tool. Done and done. Others have taken the cap apart and removed the mechanism. Much better to be able to just drive up to the pump take off the cap and fill the tank. I haven't missed the lock a bit.
    Thinking I will do this also...mine never sits anywhere around people...and I fuel from my own pump or overhead tank....

  8. #7
    Senior Member jtomelliott49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,865
    My key to my ignition fits the gas cap. Someone "fixed" this for you, I'm thinkin'. And I totally agree with Sponge. Make it non locking. My '99 has Clark tank, no lock. The only negative, other than losing 5 dollars worth of fuel, would be running out because you don't know someone stole your fuel. lol,,,,not funny.
    Tom in Wichita

    78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

  9. #8
    Super Moderator JerseyJeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NJ Shore / Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,880
    Or some ass putting sand or something in your tank. That's what happened to my buddy while in a restaurant. Some bikers (gang type), didn't like sport bikes I guess and dosed his tank with sand and road grit. He had blew by them on the highway and I guess they didn't like it. He heard them roll up from inside, went out and they were rolling out. He luckily saw sand around his filler and went to the part store and put two in-line filters on it for the ride home to fix. Disrespecting them could have gotten him worse i'm told. I forget the jackets he said they had but I googled it at the time.

    Maybe he's lucky his tank was not locked, maybe it could have been worse.?

    Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    My key to my ignition fits the gas cap. Someone "fixed" this for you, I'm thinkin'. And I totally agree with Sponge. Make it non locking. My '99 has Clark tank, no lock. The only negative, other than losing 5 dollars worth of fuel, would be running out because you don't know someone stole your fuel. lol,,,,not funny.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.

  10. #9
    Senior Member sub251's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    very nice looking bike! your shifter appears to be sticking way out, like it's begging to be hit and bent
    Thank you! The hammerhead shifter sticks out a bit, but I find the larger size a little easier to shift in boots.
    jtomelliott49 and littletommy like this.
    1987 TW200
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250s
    2012 Honda CRF250x
    2019 Beta 200 RR

  11. #10
    Senior Member sub251's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by jtomelliott49 View Post
    My key to my ignition fits the gas cap. Someone "fixed" this for you, I'm thinkin'. And I totally agree with Sponge. Make it non locking. My '99 has Clark tank, no lock. The only negative, other than losing 5 dollars worth of fuel, would be running out because you don't know someone stole your fuel. lol,,,,not funny.
    Just tried the ignition key and it does work. My bad. The funky looking extra key that came with the bike must just be a strange looking copy. I usually ride dirt so may still convert it to non-locking, or better yet, add a larger tank someday. Thanks!
    1987 TW200
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250s
    2012 Honda CRF250x
    2019 Beta 200 RR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •