• 1 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 1 Post By joeband
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 3 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By elime

Thread: Mr.Gizmo's Day Out video

Mr.Gizmo's Day Out video

Here are a series of clips from today's ride on my second bike, labeled Mr.Gizmo by it's builder Gerry. For months this bike has sat in garage awaiting my attention which I finally gave yesterday. Today was my reward. A very different ,more nimble feeling machine from my other bike which has extended swing arm, Duro PowerGrip ATV tire and 13/55 sprockets.
    Today there were times those jeep-like qualities were missed as the Trailwing with 14/47 sprockets made MrGizmo's first gear like Betty Boop's second gear. Great on smoother trails, inadequate once things get technical.
    Anyways I wandered through a variety of terrains and conditions exploring relative strengths and weaknesses ,so the video bounces around a bit as I visit different areas today.
    ejfranz, admiral, Rider21 and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

You know Fred I never heard that gear combo laboring in your video. With your riding experience I totally trust your opinion and figure you must have just edited those tough spots out?

Tom
    admiral likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

my lack of experience in the white stuff made me cringe in some of those parts you hit it without slowing down.
    great ride
    admiral likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So, how was riding through the snow with the stock rear tire? I always have very poor traction. I know what you mean about the jeep like qualities when riding with your Duro. I feel the same traction confidence when I'm riding with my Ceros and am hoping for good traction in the snow as well with it. I'm curious as to how well the 241 will do in the snow. I haven't been satisfied with any of the front tires I've used so far in snow. Hopefully, the 241 will help in that regard.

I'm with Dryden-Tdub. If you hadn't told us what gearing you were using I wouldn't have been able to tell as you seem to be riding pretty smoothly in the video...and having fun!
    joeband likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I think what Fred was trying to say is that he had to hit some of those rocky sections a bit faster than he would have done with his other bike.
    Rocks and speed are not always a good combination. I know I like to crawl through them as opposed to being tossed around in them.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Nice ride,
    I am wondering what the red,white,blue and yellow handlebar switches are for?

"Switches? I don need no stinking switches"...oh yeah, yes I do They all need re-labeling as I had just put them on Friday cleaning up a collection of mismatched toggle switches Gerry had on separate switch panels. I like these handlebar mounted rockers.
    Red- pair of stalk mounted CREE auxilliary lights
    White- voltage source for Voyager trip computer, either device's internal CR2032 battery or bike's 12v storage battery
    Blue- cooling fan
    Yellow- Low beam headlight cut-off switch for stealth mode, reduced draw during starting and during sustained fan operation ( Gerry built bike to handle slow speed trail riding in the rough on hot summer days)

Gearing yielded a somewhat fast minimum forward speed in first gear As efranz says this makes traversing bouldery stuff happen faster than I would like. Fortunately the superior suspension action afforded by the transplanted Tri-Z three wheeler forks soaked up all of this surprisingly well giving me a fairly comfortable, ride almost as if I had a Seat Concepts on a smoother trail. Really a nice suspension mod. Not perfect , but nothing is, not even me. Gerry did a nice job converting forks to disc brakes.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-06-2016 at 10:11 AM.
    joeband and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Now the snow was fresh, melting and sloppy so was not the same challenge as older icy stuff. Trail Wing does OK until slopes get steep then the fishtailing fun begins. Pure virginal snow clips were actually steep downhills so forward traction wasn't an issue, ability to brake and prevent skiing down the slopes was. I was locked up on some of it.

Not sure if I have a clip of labored gearing as it happened on a rather steep rocky section where I likely didn't have the balls to take hand off handlebar to turn helmet mounted camera on and off. I may be foolish but not stupid, two hands on the bars is really helpful at times. I often do not capture video the rough stuff since I get into it before activating camera and rarely go back to turn on camera and re-ride a section taking video.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-06-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    joeband, ejfranz and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

You sure have a nice playground.
    admiral and goldenhtr like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links