Tool tubes/cases! What ya got?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Tool tubes/cases! What ya got?

Lightbulb Tool tubes/cases! What ya got?

Hey Dubbers!

I looked around google images but didn't find many custom tool tubes/cases or mounts. I'm curious to see how others tackled this fun little project and show you all the one I came up with.

This one is mine. I'm sure many of you recognize the 3" ABS pipe.

DSCF0257.JPG

I happen to have two brackets left over from a bicycle rack that fit the frame perfectly. I used 1/4" aluminum sheet to make a mounting plate to which I bolted two aluminum square tubes that I cut to the curve of the tube. The I drilled the tube and bracket and bolted the tube on. I would like to replace the bolts in the tube with some type of strap so I can detach or mount other tubular objects that could fit. This will be durable till I come up with a more ideal solution.

DSCF0267.JPG

Finally the ace up my sleeve....The sub cowling I cut and bent out a piece of sintra. This material is easy to shape once it's heated so it's best either kept away from higher temp or used where it can drape naturally if it softens. It's popular with costume makers for stuff like armour.

DSCF0266.JPG

My main goal aesthetically was to balance the muffler. It's very close but I need better weather to get some outdoor pics. I'm really happy with it and would like see what other people are doing.

Maybe I should have posted this in the customizing section...
    Last edited by Trail Woman; 11-25-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Looks solid ,nice job

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Nice job.
    Great aesthetics.
    jtomelliott49, littletommy and Ken like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Michael Bryce Winnick's Avatar
    My buddy Butch used a tractor manual storage tube (made in the USA) and we bracketed it on.
    jtomelliott49, littletommy and Ken like this.

Thanks! It's a very strong bracket. When I tug on it the whole bike moves. I used lock nuts/crush washers to keep the bolts nice and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bryce Winnick View Post
    My buddy Butch used a tractor manual storage tube (made in the USA) and we bracketed it on.
    Cool. I'd love to see it if you can get a pic. It could help those less skilled in fabricating to see various methods.

Butch's fabrication talent makes up for the fact that he cannot turn on a computer. I know that we bought the tube at tractor supply and the bracketry at the local hardware store and it bolted up with stainless fasteners. Got out of the deal for about $15.00.

Edit: As I recall better we bent some steel stock and an L bracket or 2 I had laying around and built the bracketry after liberal application of black paint. To be in the running for best in the world, it must hold JIS screwdrivers and 3 Charleston Chews MBW
    Last edited by Michael Bryce Winnick; 11-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.

If you're able to make something you're happy with the savings are an added bonus. All I had to buy was the cap a coupler and a screw off lid which was roughly 15$ as well. The rest I had kicking around. Even if I had to buy all the parts it would be cheaper then buying a premade tool tube and I get more control design.

The hierarchy is can I repurpose all of the materials for the project including hardware. The next is fabricating what cannot at first blush cannot be repurposed by a mere mortal. Next is to find out what you want and to buy and build what they should have built the way they should have built it. Use the best components with the best fasteners. Build it as many times as you have to until you get it right. After you get it right, get it the way you want it. MBW

Here is how I mounted a pair of tool tubes to my Pelican case.

100_0781.JPG

TrailWoman's fender eliminator looks impressive too. A picture or two with a brief description might be appreciated by those wishing to replicate it. Good work!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links