Swing Arm City Off Road Park
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Swing Arm City Off Road Park

Swing Arm City Off Road Park

On my way to Moab2017 I camped back in SwingArm City a couple of nights. Made a great base camp for exploring the nearby Capitol Reef’s Cathedral Valley. Needless to say the free riding at Swing Arm City is wide open with a few thousand acres of untold hill climbs and trails to explore up a series of heavily eroded valleys in the Benton Shale formation. Much of it was a bit too power sucking for Betty’s modest 13 hp so my put-put video looks tame compared to other youtube videos. Tremendous fun none the less even if I wasn’t flying 70 ft through the air.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-03-2017 at 11:30 PM.
    Ken, admiral, bananachunks and 4 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Fun Fred!! Sidekick Chad and I drove by there post Moab 2017, but we did not stop. We did the Hartnet road - Caineville wash road Cathedral Valley loop. Then went back up to the San Rafael Swell for a day and a half before heading back to the PNW. What a great trip. I've been putting in so many hours at work after returning that I haven't had any time to edit video or blog. Thanks for sharing!
    Fred, Ken, Tweaker and 1 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Now just where did I leave my vehicle?

By remote camping up one of the valleys I seemed to have the place all to myself. However I did stumble upon another biker camped a mile or so away the first night while trying to relocate the dramatic outcrop that marked my valley and camp. Problem was there were a lot of similar towering monoliths . Really nice and serene until wind and rain picked up. Think I experienced the strongest winds ever while camped there, gusts blew Betty Boop over repeatedly until I strapped bike to van which was periodically shaking like a leaf. Was mercilessly pelted by wind blown pea sized gravel each time I had to venture out to pick Betty Boop up again.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-03-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Purple, Tweaker, Ken and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow, thats impressive! Sorta has some of that same " blazing your own trail can be dangerous to your health" kinda feel to it. Very cool, thanks for sharing.
    Ken likes this.

Is the riding surface soft or hard? I gotta know in case I fall.

Looks like a blast and if we were younger we might take more daredevil chances. But at our age I'm with you, playing it safe.
    Purple and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

The surfaces seemed fairly firm until the slopes got steep, then my rear tire would dig in a bit. Caution is needed when summiting any of the hill climbs as cliffs often lie on the far side. Following tracks made by big 450cc motocross bikes is no guarantee as they often will clear the summits at speed and fly past any cliffs to land much farther way. For example where I stopped at the 2 minute mark some 60 feet up atop a false summit the tracks of other bikes cleared the cerest, flew over where I was parked only to land another 20 feet beyond. Poor TWs are seriously out of power and I was seriously out of skill to attempt much of that.
    I played things safe and rode gently since a spinal misalignment/pinched nerve had me in daily pain throughout the trip.
    There was a hill climb to the crest of the escarpment just to the left of my van, you would not want to fly off the top. There were many of these firmer more erosion ally resistant outcrops rising out of the plains like sailing ships. Each valley was lined with steep escarpments just begging to be hi-marked or their scary ridges lines explored.

Last edited by Fred; 05-04-2017 at 10:07 AM.
    Ken, Tweaker, admiral and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

I hear ya, if god wanted me to fly like that, he woulda given me wings instead of wheels!
    admiral and Ken like this.

There was some nice hiking beyond the boundaries but some bikers had not honored the signs and somewhat ripped up the scenic landforms I wanted to explore. Too bad, as there was tremendous room for legal motorized play in the designated many square miles.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Tweaker, admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Anyways SwingArm City is somewhere I would visit again as it provides a rather unique riding experience different from sand dune riding. The steepness and knife-like ridge trails are impressive. The solitude of remote primitive camping there makes one feel like they are on the moon; beats any campground experience in my book. Nice base camp for further explorations into Capitol Reef since the park has rather limited camping opportunities.
    Tweaker and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

We went by too and found a great camp spot west of Capital Reef and Fruita at Torrry. It gave us great access to the area. BTW that does look like a fun spot to camp and ride.

Here is a pic. Message me if you want the location as I won't post it here.

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG
    Last edited by Tweaker; 05-04-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    Rockit likes this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links