Betty Boop’s Memorial Day Ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Betty Boop’s Memorial Day Ride

Betty Boop’s Memorial Day Ride

I took Betty out for the first time since Moab to ascend a few peaks, dip my toes in a lake and generally enjoy a glorious spring day riding in the eastern sierras. It was hot, dusty and summer like when I left home but with the increasing elevation the effective seasons rolled back into Spring with wildflowers then Winter with crusty snow.

Hey, there's gold in them that hills ( fools fold that is).

I did find a good way to cool off Betty. Had to stage this photo after reading the recent “Too Hot?” thread.

And can you say "Ramp of Opportunity"? Lots of logs needed crossing here and there and I try to take every easy way across.

High water, downed trees and deep erosion from heavy run-off this year had rendered many roads impassible to Betty and I so we didn’t make it to a few destinations. Found some other new trails as a result including a few very nice future TW encampments. I found one I really liked in what must have been in Hoke Valley very near where the ’49-ers diverged from the old Donnor party route and headed for the gold fields of the Yuba. With aspens and wildflower filled meadow the site was an old homestead with plenty of fencing to corral in those 13 mighty horses of the TW.

Visited Stampede Reservoir. Last time I was there with Mr & Mrs. Admiral the water was a good 30 to 40 feet lower. We were riding in knee high grass on the lake floor until we had to leave because Lori kept bothering all the water snakes. Besides, harassing wildlife is a citable offense.

Nice camp sites all to myself.

One old mine camp was a little less sheltered but had a great view.

Prospectors were pulling gold put of the metamorphic outcrop along the summit's ridge line.

Later I chickened out crossing this stream to get to some old basque sheep camps; clear water showed knee deep water in the rapid zone.

So it was a very nice 43 mile outing on a day supposed to honor all those who served for their country. I feel lucky and proud to be an American.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-29-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Beautiful scenic landscape bro, you live in a lovely area for trail riding, we must go for a ride together some day . . .
    1990 Yamaha TW200Hidden Content _____________ Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. - Matthew 11:28
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    Beautiful scenic landscape bro, you live in a lovely area for trail riding, we must go for a ride together some day . . .
    I'll second that! 👍

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Awesome spots...jealous! I love exploring abandoned areas; farms, houses, whatever... Someday I hope to be able to be able to visit somewhere like that...old homesteads, etc. Top of the list would be to be able to ride to and look around abandoned mining areas, ghost towns.... Looks like some awesome spots...!!!
    littletommy, Cornelis and SanDue like this.

Turns out I just might have a Buddy Bike available for all you international visitors. So if you have the air-fare I have the bike. Then we can go ride!
    If Motard comes for the Reno Unlimited Air Races this year maybe I’ll send him camping here.

2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

This was also a test ride for Betty’s new slimmer summer look. She was looking a little broad and heavy with too much junk in the trunk when I had the Cyclerack , soft case and RotoPak all mounted up. So I resurrected my original tail bag which ties into a new frame extension and a cleaner tail light and fender eliminator configuration. It works well yesterday with 76 ounces of ice and beverage, a few pounds of tools, CO2 inflator kit, wallet,camera, first aid and a warm layer. Enough for an afternoon’s outing. Being slimmer I can also squeeze the bike into narrower places without scraping the rack.
    Frame extension has mounting points for relieving the destructive cantilevered loading of the Cyclerack , so all my cargo configurations are modular and interchangeable.

The tail bag originally rested partially on a simple subframe extension that worked well for a decade until the subframe itself failed. 2 ft of simple 7/16ths rod bent in a “U” shape is all you need to create both a grab bar for the rear as well as a strong point for towing or supporting a tail bag.

The taillight off a Grimm looks great too and seems very bright compared to more generic LED taillights I experimented with.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-30-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    LuvNot, Tweaker, Toecutter and 7 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buellzebub View Post
    I'll second that! 

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Count me in too!!
    Cornelis and SanDue like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Tommy, why not jump on the big bike, hop on 395 in Spokane and motor south for a couple of states? Navigation is easy, simply take a left turn when you get to Reno. We can pick up some donuts and go for an easy ride, your choice of Mr.Gizmo or Betty Boop.
    Lots of V-strom rated riding here too from Sierra passes to alpine meadows. Shucks, I even passed a Harley bagger in full leather out on a dirt logging road yesterday. I think I sprayed dust all over his shiny chrome.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

This is how the Grand Canyon got started right. That is one heck of a runoff rut for sure.

Looked like a very pretty springtime ride. I like it.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Fred, my beloved brother, I'm afraid my "count me in too" comment was only wishful thinking. The "Spirit" is willing, but the "flesh" is shot!! haha I just have too much pain in my hips and back. Even an hour ride gets me around town. I think at best I could make it 4 hours in the saddle, then it'd take me 3 days to recover before hitting the road again... so it might take me a few days to get there.

I'm even contemplating letting my nicely customized, low mileage V-Strom go, sadly to say. My wish list before I go was to be able to go on a couple more road trips, and when my Sister Sue moved up here, she was more than willing to go as a passenger. But then she got married and I'm not sure I can see it happening now.

I had also hoped to do this when I couldn't manage the bikes weight any more, but cost wise this ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Thank you for your gracious offer though Fred. I'd like to eat donuts with you anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Tommy, why not jump on the big bike, hop on 395 in Spokane and motor south for a couple of states? Navigation is easy, simply take a left turn when you get to Reno. We can pick up some donuts and go for an easy ride, your choice of Mr.Gizmo or Betty Boop.
    Lots of V-strom rated riding here too from Sierra passes to alpine meadows. Shucks, I even passed a Harley bagger in full leather out on a dirt logging road yesterday. I think I sprayed dust all over his shiny chrome.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links