Leisure Time Larry - La Grande, Oregon Video Series - July 2017
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Leisure Time Larry - La Grande, Oregon Video Series - July 2017

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

Leisure Time Larry - La Grande, Oregon Video Series - July 2017

Visiting family brought me to the La Grande, Oregon area back in late July. I spent nearly a week in this beautiful area that offers a multitude of riding opportunities. Please join me as I do my best to capture this adventure via the GoPro, both on and off road.

In video #1, Mt. Emily... A ride with the guys starts out the day with them on quads and me on the TW. It's mostly dusty, but we had fun and rocked a sweet jump.

I continue the day alone and explore the Mount Emily area including some amazing views of the Grande Ronde Valley, and Indian Rock Memorial. I explored the singletrack, doubletrack and roads inside of the Mount Emily Recreation Area (MERA), and I had a lot of fun.

The way back to camp had no alternatives but to ride some miles on I-84. Luckily, nobody ran over me. What a great time!

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 11-21-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Love the single track sections.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Me too! Nice.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My Basecamp

While in the La Grande area, I made basecamp at Hilgard Jct. State Park. This park is at the junction of I-84 and Highway 244, and has a number of of riverfront footage along the Grande Ronde River. Most of the park is "Day Use" with picnic areas and grass and river access. Tucked off to the south end is the camping area. There are 18 sites, which the call "primitive" as there are no hookups. There is a restroom facility, water spigots scattered about, and garbage cans. For $10/night, I thought it was well worth it.

Park website: Hilgard Junction State Park - Oregon State Parks and Recreation

I wrote a review on freecampsites.net page for the park: https://freecampsites.net/#!1448&query=sitedetails
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

Senior Member mountain redbelly's Avatar
    Nice set up. Thanks for sharing enjoyed the vid. Its what these bikes were made for.
    "meet me in the creek"

Nice state campground, I’ll have to remember it. At $10 per night with facilities I can see why it makes for a good base camp. Does not look primitive at all.

Stupid question: I know it would lessen clearance at rear of trailer but have folks been know to install air bags to temporarily raise rear of class B motorhomes improving the angle of departure? This would facilitate traversing rougher roads to access the perfect campsite.
    littletommy and ejfranz like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

For a change of pace, I take the street bike out for a twisty mountain run while I'm in La Grande. My Honda CB500F fills many roles, and is a ton o' fun on roads like these. The views were magnificent.

The route was 195 miles. La Grande to Powder via Hwy 237, then west on the Anthony Lakes Hwy (NF-73) through the mountains, then NW through the green forested slopes on NF-52 with views of the John Day Wilderness to the town of Ukiah. I had read that the section of 395 from Ukiah south to the N. Fork of the John Day River was one of the best sections of motorcycling roads around, so of course I had to head down to the river and back. Now, eastbound along the Grande Ronde river on Hwy 244 back towards La Grande.

It was a great day and a great ride!

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled TW programming.
    littletommy, admiral, WHS and 3 others like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Beautiful day! Sure wasn't like that over here...

ejfranz likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

WHS
    NE Oregon, Idaho and SE Washington are all loaded with great rides. In my quad days I camped and rode all over that area, and I especially like the Winom-Frazier area outside of La Grande. I have also run the big road bike and camped all around that area as well... Just fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    While in the La Grande area, I made basecamp at Hilgard Jct. State Park. This park is at the junction of I-84 and Highway 244, and has a number of of riverfront footage along the Grande Ronde River. Most of the park is "Day Use" with picnic areas and grass and river access. Tucked off to the south end is the camping area. There are 18 sites, which the call "primitive" as there are no hookups. There is a restroom facility, water spigots scattered about, and garbage cans. For $10/night, I thought it was well worth it.

Park website: Hilgard Junction State Park - Oregon State Parks and Recreation

I wrote a review on freecampsites.net page for the park: https://freecampsites.net/#!1448&query=sitedetails
    Delivered many of those BT Cruisers back in the day, when after retirement, I delivered them and other Gulfstream RVs around the country...easy to handle and got good MPG compared to most units...

BTCrusier.jpg
    littletommy likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links