North Ridge Trail 1321 - Cle Elum, WA
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: North Ridge Trail 1321 - Cle Elum, WA

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar

North Ridge Trail 1321 - Cle Elum, WA

Does anybody want to see another video series?

Winter is here, so I don't know what else to do besides relive the glory days of the riding season by watching it. This was filmed on October 8, 2017. I take the TW200 with Sidekick Chad on his XT225 up North Ridge Trail 1321 and over South Cle Elum Ridge Trail 1326 for some single track riding. It was sunny and over 50 degrees down at 2000 ft where we started. Climbing to 6000 ft and sub-freezing temperatures and everything in between was interesting to say the least. Rocks, roots, mud, snow...we set out to find some fall color and ride before we couldn't. This day took about 5 or 6 hours. I liked a lot of the footage, so I'm going to make it into another multi-part series . In this first part we set off in the lowlands on the power line and forest roads to get to the trail head before setting off on the single track. Enjoy!

Last edited by Leisure Time Larry; 01-25-2018 at 06:32 AM.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

It sounds like Chad was having way too much fun. My DT loves those type of trails. It just seems to float over those root obstacles that hang up the TW. An ATV tire also helps on the TW if you do a lot of those loose single tracks.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

I owned property a few miles south of Cle Elum in the eighties and until 92, right next to the L T Murry. It was my southern border. From your video, it seems the trails have been groomed since then. Other than jeep trails it was pretty rough in the eighties. I rode a bored and stroked XL 350 Honda in those days that displaced 500cc.
    A lot of the trails I rode on an XL 650 Yamaha twin 78 model year. Some of the guys I rode with were aghast that I could take that bike in there and get back out.
    I used to ride the trails that went down past lost lake all the way to the American river on the Chinook Pass.
    In 91 I made a little money as a movie extra when they filmed "Northen Exposure" in Rosalind. My spellcorrecter won't let me spell that right.
    Last edited by phelonius; 12-21-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Oh yes, we need more cow bell, err I mean video. I watched the video on youtube before seeing it posted here. For the benefit of the forum members, this is what I posted on youtube.

Wet roots are nasty.Listening to you two giggle makes me giggle. Sidekick Chad's giggle sounds more like a nervous giggle though.

This video reminds me of attempting a trail about 10 years ago or more when I tried riding on a trail for the first time. After just a short distance into the trail, I got hung up in a spiderweb of tree roots, spinning the tire and ultimately tipping over. The engine was hot heating up my trapped leg quite nicely. To top it off, I tipped over with me in a downhill direction with the TW trapping me and gas spilling all over. In short order, I was able to cut the power but it took me several minutes to free myself from under the TW. Once I got upright and got the TW upright, I smartly turned around vowing to never return to this trail.

I didn't listen to myself. A couple years ago I returned after having some trail 'sperience. I conquered it without any falls anywhere on the trail. I did flip off the roots when I rode over them on this trip.

Wa Larry, this is what your video reminded me of. Looking forward to the next video of this ride...we need it all couped up and all!
    Last edited by admiral; 12-21-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I have always enjoyed the “dry” side of Washington state as opposed to the “wet” side. Your video today show a perfect dry, or eastern Washington, ride.

Having Indian heritage I can say with authority that local Indian mythology is that the Cascade Mountains were created so that off road motorcyclists would have this choice in riding conditions.

Tip of the hat to you and all the others who make the time and effort to produce riding videos.
    God made mud. God got lonesome. So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!" "See all I've made," said God, "The hills, the sea, the sky, the stars." And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around. Lucky me, lucky mud. I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Bring the videos on, I have enjoyed many that you have on youtube - often with sweaty palms - you get yourselves in some interesting situations!

Awesome Larry I would love to ride that area thanks so much for the share !
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Oh yes, we need more cow bell, err I mean video. I watched the video on youtube before seeing it posted here. For the benefit of the forum members, this is what I posted on youtube.

Wet roots are nasty.Listening to you two giggle makes me giggle. Sidekick Chad's giggle sounds more like a nervous giggle though.
    Haha, thanks for sharing, in both places. You know, I asked Chad about that laugh. He said that he was laughing so hard because of that difficult section, and he was thinking about how hard he thought it would be for me with my tiny wheels, and he thought I would be so mad. So, basically it is a villainous laugh.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-54 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114folding shifter

Nice trail.
    Stock rear tire really lacks an adequate tread/void ration to get a decent grip on roots compared to something like a Duro PowerGrip ATV tire. Gummy trials tire up front plus maintaining momentum sure helps too when smooth roots prevent any good bite. I feel that the momentum gained in the few yards preceding the root is what tends to carry the bike across more than any thrust generated on face of the root or log. Good job you two!
    Ken, ejfranz and littletommy like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Nice trail.
    Stock rear tire really lacks an adequate tread/void ration to get a decent grip on roots compared to something like a Duro PowerGrip ATV tire. Gummy trials tire up front plus maintaining momentum sure helps too when smooth roots prevent any good bite. I feel that the momentum gained in the few yards preceding the root is what tends to carry the bike across more than any thrust generated on face of the root or log. Good job you two!
    Agreed. The first root failure of mine in this video was indeed due to a lack of momentum. It was the start of the incline on single track, and I was getting the riding rust off still. The second, you can see I gave 'er hell, launching the front skyward. It was just too steep of a step in a web of roots. My gut told me to take a line to the left, but you can hear Chad directing me to the right. I went with what I was told, as there was a big rock mentioned.
    littletommy, ejfranz and Fred like this.
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links