TW200 Ride in the Desert
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: TW200 Ride in the Desert

TW200 Ride in the Desert

A longer video than I normally post but it's hard to convey the ride by chopping it up in 5-10 second clips of the most interesting parts. Though I've cut out most of my "contemplation moments", you will see my thought process, kind of. When I stop on the trail and look forward then rearward, I know I'm screwed from returning so I just keep pushing on.

I did show about 20-30 seconds of a couple parts of this video in one earlier this year but this shows what it's really like.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Hey Kris! You're a brave man. Did you have some idea where you were supposed to wind up? Don't think I would have wanted to backtrack.. Also, did you have phone reception or a Spot or Delorme?
    littletommy, admiral and SanDue like this.
    Beauty is as beauty does.
    If it works good, it's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider21 View Post
    Hey Kris! You're a brave man. Did you have some idea where you were supposed to wind up? Don't think I would have wanted to backtrack.. Also, did you have phone reception or a Spot or Delorme?
    I knew where I was at when I started, does that count. They have a good detailed map of the whole Owyhee Front. I left it at the truck. I had a good idea where I was heading...west but yeah I eventually came out on a 2-track I'd been on with Mrs. Admiral couple years before.

I may have had cell reception on top of the ridges but I didn't check. I did have a Spot plus I told Lori's parents where I was riding. Her dad would remember so I was safe that way too.

I wish I would have had the camera working when I went down this creek/wash. It was a lot more scenic and dangerous, er I mean fun!

and it opened up to a big sand wash. There are other trails off of the sand wash area I'd like to explore.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I sure wish I had some place like that to go riding. Some place close. And it looks like you are a very competent TW rider unlike the earlier videos with you and Georgie flying through the air -- OK, I exaggerated a little. I have done so little riding lately -- no one to blame but myself. Oh well.
    admiral, littletommy and Mel like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

nice pics and video. i was impressed with the way you climbed the hill at the 8.3-9 minute mark. you made it look so smooth, must be one of the advantage to having a truck tire mounted on the rear
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Wow nice single track solo adventure. Thanks for sharing. Soon you’ll be known for YOUR “easy” rides.
    admiral and littletommy like this.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I sure wish I had some place like that to go riding. Some place close. And it looks like you are a very competent TW rider unlike the earlier videos with you and Georgie flying through the air -- OK, I exaggerated a little. I have done so little riding lately -- no one to blame but myself. Oh well.

Competent eh? I did do one of my flying TW routines on Hell's Revenge last Moab minus Georgie and I did get an "aw shit" demerit point for that one.

The only problem with this area to ride in is it's like Arizona, you can't ride (or don't want too) in the summer as it's so darn hot. You can ride up in the mountains but even then it's pretty warm.

Hopefully, you can get out riding more this year. At the very least get your goggle camera out and ride more of the OHV trail system you've ridden in the past and post up some video to keep us hibernates entertained.
    elime likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    nice pics and video. i was impressed with the way you climbed the hill at the 8.3-9 minute mark. you made it look so smooth, must be one of the advantage to having a truck tire mounted on the rear
    I'm not sure the "truck tire" he he, helped much in this section but it sure did in some of the loose rocky climbs. I'm not sure I would have made it up some of those areas without the Ceros.

As I approached this area I was saying to myself, "great, I bet the trail goes right through those rocks". It did. I got off and scouted around the rocks for an alternate route but up and over these rocks, was it. It is also steeper than it looks. I did walk it, which actually did very little for my confidence. I was kind of shocked how easily I rode up it as you mentioned but I was waiting for a fall.
    grewen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Soon you’ll be known for YOUR “easy” rides.
    Only if I take a fellow TW'er with me and I believe I have to start with TW Brian!

I've only ridden a couple of the singletrack but I've ridden a lot of the 2-track which is a challenge in and of itself. One doesn't need to ride the singletrack to kilt themselves out here.

It doesn't look far on the map but I rode trail C100 from about the junction of C612 to C510. Funny thing, I didn't even notice or see the other trails I crossed when I rode through. Maybe those trails were the "cow paths" I saw and didn't think they were motorcycle trails. Couple years ago Mrs. Admiral and I rode the other section of C100 from the F505/C200 junction with C100. There is a massively steep climb right at the end as you come from F505/C200 up to C510. I didn't think I was gonna make it that day but did. Whew!

Here are links to the maps of the area trail systems. On this ride, I was in the South Section.

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...uth_GeoPDF.pdf

https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/fi...rth_GeoPDF.pdf
    Last edited by admiral; 01-03-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    littletommy and Tweaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I sure wish I had some place to go riding. Some place close. I have done so little riding lately -- no one to blame but myself. Oh well.
    You just have to be a little inventive; that's all. Here is one I put together after Admiral posted his Mail Run Ride. The terrain is very different; even though we only live about 12 or 13 miles apart as the crow flies. Well; at least a sober one!

That 65 tooth rear sprocket is indeed necessary. Well; if you've seen me ride - you'd know it is - even on the pavement. Keeps me under that 35 mph threshold!!!
    Last edited by old w/??; 01-03-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links