Gun Turrets, Stone Cabins and Drones, Oh My!
Close

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By
  • 1 Post By Badgerflorida
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By stagewex
  • 1 Post By
  • 1 Post By
  • 2 Post By
  • 1 Post By Trail Woman
  • 1 Post By
  • 3 Post By Fred

Thread: Gun Turrets, Stone Cabins and Drones, Oh My!

Senior Member Till Death Dual Us Sport™'s Avatar

Gun Turrets, Stone Cabins and Drones, Oh My!

Dryden-Tdub, jtstdub and Gerry like this.

Your videos are great. Would you mind doing a quick rundown of the equipment you use? Cheers and thanks for sharing.
    01 SOLD
    96 SOLD
    89 restored SOLD
    89 (restoration in process)
    05 (restoration in process)
    03 SOLD
    04 in great condition

Very nice. Hi-Vis vest is a good addition, not only does it have good safety value but it really makes you stand out in the drone footage.
    I believe your gun turrets are likely for antennae or as an observation post at best. They lack a beefy enough structure necessary for a radome much less for a triple A emplacement. Our WWII coastal Observation Posts and gun emplacements tended to be a bit more robust in hopes of enduring the expected counter battery fire. Here are a few from around the San Francisco defense zones.

Marin-Coast-with-old-gun-emplacement.jpgMarin-Coast-with-old-gun-emplacement.jpg

Attachment 182246Whatever they are they sure make for a good TW destination.
    Well done Sir!
    Last edited by Fred; 07-17-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Great video. I have to be honest and tell you a few times while I watched I wished someone else was riding with you/you had a buddy rider.
    Sorry, the "Inner Dad" just came out. Back to our regular programming... Great video.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Your videos are great. Would you mind doing a quick rundown of the equipment you use? Cheers and thanks for sharing.
    Thank you!
    Action cam - Sony HDR-AS300R
    Action cam mount - ProShot
    Drone - Mavic Air

That's basically it as far as filming goes. Let me know if there's something more specific you're wondering about.
    Badgerflorida likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Very nice. Hi-Vis vest is a good addition, not only does it have good safety value but it really makes you stand out in the drone footage.
    I believe your gun turrets are likely for antennae or as an observation post at best. They lack a beefy enough structure necessary for a radome much less for a triple A emplacement. Our WWII coastal Observation Posts and gun emplacements tended to be a bit more robust in hopes of enduring the expected counter battery fire. Here are a few from around the San Francisco defense zones.

Marin-Coast-with-old-gun-emplacement.jpgMarin-Coast-with-old-gun-emplacement.jpg

Attachment 182246Whatever they are they sure make for a good TW destination.
    Well done Sir!
    Thanks for watching! Not 100% sure what to believe. This is taken directly from offroadtrails.com.

"The highlight of this intriguing expedition is the stop at Beeks Place, which was built in 1942 by Joe Beeks. Besides being at over 3400 feet in elevation, Beeks Place has standing gun turrets that were built back in WW2. The idea was if the worst case scenario happened to America at the time, an invasion from a foreign country, Orange County would be ready to defend the United States".

I guess they could be wrong...
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Great video. I have to be honest and tell you a few times while I watched I wished someone else was riding with you/you had a buddy rider.
    Sorry, the "Inner Dad" just came out. Back to our regular programming... Great video.
    Thank for watching! Believe me, I wish I had a riding buddy! Especially another TW.
    Ken and Badgerflorida like this.

Another great vid.

I've been working on those turns on loose dirt myself recently and having stand up experience with risers, if you're standing and tip the bike under you and give it a blip of throttle, it slides out and stays under you. Tipping the bike standing keeps your weight over the bike and makes for some sweet tight turns. If you do it sitting the leg out can encourage weighting the outer peg giving you a little more traction and a foot to catch yourself, but standing over the bike puts even more weight on that outer peg giving you much more stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Woman View Post
    Another great vid.

I've been working on those turns on loose dirt myself recently and having stand up experience with risers, if you're standing and tip the bike under you and give it a blip of throttle, it slides out and stays under you. Tipping the bike standing keeps your weight over the bike and makes for some sweet tight turns. If you do it sitting the leg out can encourage weighting the outer peg giving you a little more traction and a foot to catch yourself, but standing over the bike puts even more weight on that outer peg giving you much more stability.
    Sweet! Tipping & blipping! I'll give this a go next time I'm out.
    Trail Woman likes this.

"Sweet! Tipping & blipping!" -with such great comments like this Till Death Dual Us Sport is our kind of guy. Think we should show him the Secret TW Handshake?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links