So, jumping a TW...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: So, jumping a TW...

So, jumping a TW...

...how much is too much? I know it's not a motocross bike, but surely it can handle just a little bit of air time, no?

Just a small jump (been 20+ years since I last had both wheels off the ground), and it didn't bottom out with stock suspension and my ~240lb ass on it. Did maybe 4-5 jumps before I took the camera off the helmet and got a semi-decent side shot. I'd like to go a bit bigger, but don't want to ruin the TW in the process.

i felt much more confident after i changed out my original pre-2001 stock shock. that skinny weld design had me worried on any little bump, let alone jumping.

now i've hit jumps like in your pic without a second thought. short of playing evel knievel you should be good.
    Ken, Miaugi, ejfranz and 2 others like this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

When you chin smashes on the bars and you can feel the entire bike is twisting....time to back it off a notch or two. However what you show in the video is fine and although the bike does not have a lot of suspension it also depends on the load, if you weigh 250+ will make a big difference compared to a rider is 100 lbs soaking wet. Just have fun and stay safe!!
    ejfranz, Ken, TopPredator and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content Sold...Oct 2018......'01 F650GS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Many of us have bottomed out the suspension doing jumps or drops. Just don't do them with a loaded rear rack, the subframe will bend or break.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Stock, it has about the same suspension as my early seventies enduros.
    They survived jumps of close to 6 feet.
    Just be sure that you are fully up on the pegs, so you don't get bucked off...and pull up on the handlebars, so the front tire does not touch down first.

In the mid-seventies, a friend and I were riding on Cuddeback Dry Lake. He was on a Yamaha 250 twin with scrambler type pipes.
    He was doing 50+ MPH across the dry lake, sitting down, looked back, missing seeing and then hit the berm (12-15" high) of a road crossing the dry lake.
    It bucked him off.
    It was cold, so he was well padded and was only sore from the mishap, but emphasizes the need to get off the seat.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/R...35.3685739!3e0

I went back for his truck, a ~40 mile round trip.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Quote Originally Posted by Miaugi View Post
    if you weigh 250+ will make a big difference compared to a rider is 100 lbs soaking wet.
    Very good point!
    When I finished Uncle Sam's paid vacation in southeast Asia, I was only 160#.
    That was also in my favor playing tag.
    2014 Honda CB1100
    2018 Yamaha XT250
    2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
    2017 Yamaha TW200
    2012 Triumph Bonneville
    2002 H-D Sportster 1200 Sport
    2003 H-D Sportster 883
    1976 Honda CB750F
    1975 Honda CB360
    1970 Yamaha CT1
    1972 Yamaha CT2
    1972 Yamaha AT2/CT2
    1970 Honda SL350
    1970 Honda CL350
    1967 Honda CL160
    1967 Honda CB160
    1962 Honda CA110

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    i felt much more confident after i changed out my original pre-2001 stock shock. that skinny weld design had me worried on any little bump, let alone jumping.

now i've hit jumps like in your pic without a second thought. short of playing evel knievel you should be good.
    Mine is an `09, are the shocks a bit more beefy on the later ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Miaugi View Post
    When you chin smashes on the bars and you can feel the entire bike is twisting....time to back it off a notch or two. However what you show in the video is fine and although the bike does not have a lot of suspension it also depends on the load, if you weigh 250+ will make a big difference compared to a rider is 100 lbs soaking wet. Just have fun and stay safe!!
    That first sentence instantly brought back a memory of smashing my face on bike handlebars as a kid when I got a bit more air than I had planned on my BMX. Can still feel it like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Many of us have bottomed out the suspension doing jumps or drops. Just don't do them with a loaded rear rack, the subframe will bend or break.
    Mine doesn't get too loaded down, I tend to only take short day trips. It's either dinner on the rear rack, or some crowd control on the front.

(estate sale find, got some great looks on the way home)

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Stock, it has about the same suspension as my early seventies enduros.
    They survived jumps of close to 6 feet.
    Just be sure that you are fully up on the pegs, so you don't get bucked off...and pull up on the handlebars, so the front tire does not touch down first.

In the mid-seventies, a friend and I were riding on Cuddeback Dry Lake. He was on a Yamaha 250 twin with scrambler type pipes.
    He was doing 50+ MPH across the dry lake, sitting down, looked back, missing seeing and then hit the berm (12-15" high) of a road crossing the dry lake.
    It bucked him off.
    It was cold, so he was well padded and was only sore from the mishap, but emphasizes the need to get off the seat.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/R...35.3685739!3e0

I went back for his truck, a ~40 mile round trip.
    If it's good for 6ft, I have a pretty good margin to work with. I don't see getting it more than a foot or two off the deck. Too old for extreme sports, though with my day job, I could probably win gold in the Red Bull Extreme Sitting Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Very good point!
    When I finished Uncle Sam's paid vacation in southeast Asia, I was only 160#.
    That was also in my favor playing tag.
    I'd kill to get back to 180-200.

It's really a trail bike. If you want to jump get something with more travel. But small drops and jumps are fun.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Mine is an `09, are the shocks a bit more beefy on the later ones?

That first sentence instantly brought back a memory of smashing my face on bike handlebars as a kid when I got a bit more air than I had planned on my BMX. Can still feel it like it was yesterday.

Mine doesn't get too loaded down, I tend to only take short day trips. It's either dinner on the rear rack, or some crowd control on the front.

(estate sale find, got some great looks on the way home)

If it's good for 6ft, I have a pretty good margin to work with. I don't see getting it more than a foot or two off the deck. Too old for extreme sports, though with my day job, I could probably win gold in the Red Bull Extreme Sitting Championship.

I'd kill to get back to 180-200.
    Crowd control, that looks like the perfect TW trail cutter. Maybe a few different variations, the single or the dual TW trail blazer attachment.
    Fred likes this.

On some of the older bikes, the weld of the bottom mount on the rear shock was about 3/8" diameter - much too thin for anything more than street riding. Mine broke when I went off trail to hug a tree on my first off-road ride. Luckily, the guys were able to get the broken end settled into the bracket and it held long enough for me to limp back to camp (thanks TopPredator & co!).

Newer stock-shocks have a much wider weld that is closer to 1" to 1-1/2". If you want to do any rough riding, definitely take a look at the bottom mount for the weld size. If it looks like a tiny connection, investing in a newer shock is a great idea.

New Shock 2.jpg
    Image of my original shock where it broke along the bottom mount. The weld was incredibly tiny!
    Fred, admiral, Trail Woman and 3 others like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links