Hell Week, or should I say Hell Days
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hell Week, or should I say Hell Days

Hell Week, or should I say Hell Days

Well, the BLM and USFS decided Hell Week would be cut short. The smoke was too thick and the wind too strong....According to them anyway. To me, the wind seemed the same as usual, and the smoke only looked thick from the bottom of the mountain. Pretty clear where I was at. So I did as they asked and left. (Good luck getting all the hunters to comply.)
    Private did great. I'm so proud of him. He went up and down every road, and trail with the greatest of ease. Someone told me before I left, the more weight I put on back, the Squirlier my bike would be. They couldn't have been more wrong. Through pavement, dirt, loose gravel, rock, sand, and moon dust, maintained perfect stability. He climbed like a llama. Going to put him through a couple more days of rides out at the Rez and a couple other places before he gets cleaned up for graduation.
    Up a cow trail off Overland Pass, Hastings Cutoff, Pony Express Route.
    Resized_20180820_153443.jpegResized_20180820_153512.jpeg
    Eastern Side of the Ruby Mtns. Ruby Lake (Marshes)
    Resized_20180820_161411.jpegResized_20180820_161453.jpegResized_20180820_165710.jpeg
    Dbl track off Harrison Pass.
    Resized_20180820_173733.jpegResized_20180820_192352.jpegResized_20180820_192500.jpeg
    And the only smoke was the steam from my coffee.

Too bad the public land administrators felt they had to ask folks to leave. Seems somewhat extreme for the conditions seen in pictures although if winds were severe I could see a campfire ban.

Last weekend I did some research and selected our group camp site about a mile beyond a common border between two national forests, one permitting, the other banning fires. We had a nice campfire. Same environment and same fire risk, just different policies on what public can be trusted with.
    Around here I have recently heard broadcasted advice to stay put and call for help whenever anything bad happens in the woods, and to not go to places without cell phone coverage. I was surprised and disappointed to hear that. Sounds like advice for inexperienced visitors. What ever happened to Scouting and self reliance? sheep.jpg
    Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I'll have to ask... what are you going to do with those sheep?
    NVcowboy likes this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Mel
    Maybe camp entertainment?

I read what you wrote but why did the FS and BLM ask (tell) you to leave? There ain't even any active fires in the area according to GeoMAC Wildfire Viewer. We once camped where the fire was on the other side of ridge and we could see the smoke billows and weren't asked to leave. The valley was very thick with smoke. I've never been asked to leave because of smoke from other states fires or fires in-state many miles away. The smoke in our area has been so thick we can't see our mountains which are as close if not closer than this photo. FS and BLM are bucket full of crazy cautious.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed what riding/camping you did get to do. Good stuff.

Neat campsite. I love camping in the quakies and Junipers.

bad luck and Darth like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I don't know why they were asking folks to leave. I think maybe just a bunch of nervous nellies. It was probably more suggestive than an order. It was pretty dry, and bow season started Monday so the hills were crawling with hunters like Mormon crickets.
    The marshes were at great water level, tried casting a few times but the wind was wicked through Ruby Valley. It seemed like just about every road and trail I went up I saw a camp, or hiking hunters, so I did the courteous thing and went to find another unoccupied spot. The one I settled on was great. Quakies and junies everywhere. Just as I sat down for supper, a RZR rolled past with some youngsters and never came back down. It sprinkled a bit overnight but was dry by the time I got up.
    I was on the border of BLM and FS, so naturally it was the BLM that pulled up. FS put up their no fire signs so that was probably good enough for them.
    admiral likes this.

You sure found a beautiful place to camp.
    Since I see you pack a grill maybe I should come pay a visit and bring the steaks.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

More than welcome to join. But we'd have to wait for the fire ban to be lifted. I don't think the heating bags in MRE's will do it.

I'ld have to lighten my load out, no furry stowaways like this afternoon's volonteer.
    Here is th blurry dog evicts the blurry cat off the blurry seat. She thinks this makes room for her dog food.

I'm a VersaPack Rat was just stacking up some of the various options and conbinations.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fred; 08-24-2018 at 12:39 AM.
    Darth likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Hi there, I'm a new member, I do not even have the bike yet. Right out of the showroom floor the bike has no storage whatsoever. Your bike has a rack where you managed to load quite a bit of stuff on. Is it commercially available or is it a custom build. Thank you for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links