Practice Retirement Ride to the Post Office
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Practice Retirement Ride to the Post Office

Practice Retirement Ride to the Post Office

I'm not retired quite yet but I'm practicing to get ready for it.

Last edited by admiral; 12-09-2018 at 08:15 AM.
    Mel, Amatduber, jtstdub and 11 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Wow; each year now you will have a festival for a world class whitewater kayak competition. It was started; and is run by my step-niece's husband.
    Ken and admiral like this.

When I retired three years ago at the age of 60, my first thought was “what do I do now” ?

The answer was easy enough – buy another motorcycle and enjoy it. Id given up riding 20 years previously, taking the view that “shit happens, drive a tank”. That view certainly counts in London, and in the surrounding country side – things had changed a lot since I was 17 – more traffic, with most of the drivers now trained in Calcutta. I’m the last person you’d call “racist”, but honestly, on driving performance alone, you’d opt for the “tank” too

Having moved to the Isle of Anglesey upon retirement, I figured that the TW was a safe bet (well, considerably safer than riding anything in my old territory anyway), with the risk “manageable” once again. At that point, whether you choose to ride a crotch rocket, a vintage bike, or anything in-between is a matter of choice – but I wanted to get back my “roots”. Small bore thumpers, trail orientated, shame about the brakes. There’s no need for anything else here, you need a bike that can handle any road surface, because sooner or later you’ll find yourself “challenged” by it all, and that’s where the TW excels

The Island attracts the “bike enthusiasts” due to the nature of its roads, but being “off Islanders”, they don’t understand the dangers. Quite apart from the roads here, we have our fair share of “dozy cage drivers”, and there are a number of deaths every year. It’s tempting to go screaming around a blind bend, but all you need is for a car to do the same thing (in the opposite direction), and you’re stuffed. We get people driving the wrong way along a dual carriageway into on-coming traffic, insane overtakes, and only a few weeks ago, an Audi driver who managed to stuff it under a truck

Yet these are driver/rider faults, and you find yourself on the TW riding in-between all of this chaos, the awareness of riding a simple TW separating you from most of this stuff. There are a fair few “swerves” as you get out of the way of a cage driver who’s seen you, but decided to cut the white line anyway, but ‘twas always thus. The ignorance and arrogance becomes “manageable” in a strange way. I guess it’s because of being on a TW, that it in some way dispels the “ignorance or arrogance”, and allows you to take a more “defensive” approach

Sorry, I digress in my thoughts, but back to the OP ……

Riding something – anything – keeps us alive. There are many other bikes to choose from, but few more fun than the TW. The memories of coming off in a stream are far more enjoyable than the memories of coming off on the road at speed. Maybe it’s the thought that you did it to yourself, maybe it’s the thought that you’d survive – remember when you’d chuck the bike and fall laughing ?

That’s what riding a TW is all about – good memories ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hey, that is home of Paul Revere Dick, founder of the rock band Paul Revere and the Raiders!
    Don't suppose he is retired there too and available to perform at Mr. & Mrs. Admiral's Housewarming/ Group Ride/ Retirement Party?
    Maybe they'll play some classics and let Mrs. Admiral dance on a pool table.
    admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I am not familiar with the isle of angsley. What is that? I have spent about two months a year in ol Blighty the last few years. I am still not comfortable riding on two wheels over there. Maybe if I followed someone on bike? But a TW would be a good choice for me. My GF lives in East Worthing so a ride through the South Downs would be pretty awesome. London, not so much!

This thread is off to a great start, great posts!

Purple, your discussion of why the TW200 is the perfect bike for you at this time of life and where you live & ride is perfect.
    I understand completely!

You may have noticed this in my forum signature line:
    The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Ben Bostrom is former pro U.S. racer. He has raced in everything from American flat track to Supermoto to MotoGP and much in between.
    Multi-championships in various series, divisions & classes. Even a MotoGP win along the way.
    He is also a moto-journalist. A very knowledgeable fellow!

I read & saved that quote long before I had a TW but instantly understood and totally agreed with it.

My first bike at age 14 was a Puch 50cc moped, then a Harley 165 2-stroke single, then a Mustang 375 4-stroke single.
    Later bikes inlcuded a 125 Yamaha trailie, a 360 Yamaha enduro, a 175cc Penton/KTM hare scrambles racer (YEE_HAA!), 200cc Triumph Cub, 250cc Rickman MX bike, an AJS 250 MX bike, a 360cc Bultaco Astro factory flat track racer (Holy shit!), 1943 BSA 500cc WWII Army bike, a delicious 1949 Norton ES2 500cc single road bike, a 660cc single "Black Panther Super Motard, Ducati 900 Supersport and on & on through many other bikes, all bigger & faster. Nortons, Triumphs, BSAs, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Hondas, BMWs, 36 in all, at last count. Plus some Bonneville racers that were not mine.

My point being, lessons learned from that little 50cc moped & other "little bikes" have saved my ass many, many times. Other lessons learned from progressively larger, faster and very different motorcycles have built on and amplified those lessons. The 61 riding years, multi-thousands of miles, laps around & down the tracks, several trips to the ERs, one near-death crash with 5-week hospital stay. All have contributed to the knowledge, skills & judgement required to enjoy, survive & do well at our wonderful sport & hobby!

And it all started with that little 2.5HP, 45MPH moped. I was 14 didn't know a thing. But the world was brand new, it was all mine...and it had motorcycles in it!
    FishByte, Ken, Amatduber and 2 others like this.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hey, that is home of Paul Revere Dick, founder of the rock band Paul Revere and the Raiders!
    Don't suppose he is retired there too and available to perform at Mr. & Mrs. Admiral's Housewarming/ Group Ride/ Retirement Party?
    Maybe they'll play some classics and let Mrs. Admiral dance on a pool table.
    I met Paul Revere once or twice. I used to work for his band mate Darren Medley, son of Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers. They would get drunk and try to play and sing at the Christmas parties and picnics. Great guys.
    Ken likes this.

My step mom was in high school with him here in Caldwell. He passed away four years ago. Went to watch the last show he did at Cactus Petes in Jackpot, Nev. His son may be touring with the group now. Paul (at least in the last years) was mostly a front man / comedy and stuff that they were known for. They put on a good show; and had lots of good or great songs.

You're missing the point. When you retire you really don't need to worry about the mail either. The ride is away from town not toward it. I rode 10 miles yesterday to a gravel pit, picked up about 5 pounds of opalized wood to polish in my shop and never saw another human being. Oh, and the wife got the mail because it was her birthday and she was looking for the cards.
    I had never owned a motorcycle until after I retired. For a long time the TW was the most powerful bike, I had (among 5 or so road (pedal) bikes, but then I went into the power mode and bought a 500 cc Vulcan. I'm maxed out now for power and don't ride the Vulcan enough to justify it, but the TW is ridden enough to count on for a few more years.
    Amatduber and Darth like this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

"...You're missing the point...:
    Who is?
    What point?

Sounds like a good ride to the gravel pit...I used to polish stones, too...
    Amatduber likes this.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links