Thread: Maple Springs Road.

Senior Member Till Death Dual Us Sport™'s Avatar

Maple Springs Road.

Xaman and admiral like this.
    Till Death Dual Us Sport YouTube Channel
    Hidden Content
    Stickers Available Through Link Below!

Quote Originally Posted by Till Death Dual Us Sport™ View Post
    Took me a while to get used to shifting when I first started wearing protective footwear. I once broke my foot while wearing steal shanked hiking boots when my foot went toes first into a boulder while crossing a creek. Since then I can't count the number of times my feet have been smashed into rocks and the only damage was a bruise on my foot and another battle scare on the boots. I'm on my second pair of Fly Maverik ATV boots. They are shorter than regular motocross boots making it easier to walk and shift even (for me). We usually wear shin and knee guards as well but most of our riding is on logging roads and trails which ain't always smooth.

Neat to see you exploring further out. Does the brush grow back in the burnt area's rather quickly or does it take generations (20-50 years)? Do you take or use a locator beacon device on your trips? If you get good cell reception (at all times) maybe you don't need one but if you get out in the boonies you may. Just a thought. I rode for years without one but I always made sure I told someone where I was going for the "just in case". Still a good idea to tell someone where you're going regardless if you carry a locator beacon device.

Keep the video's coming.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Boot selection for dual sport riding is a tough compromise between off-bike comfortable agility vs. the armored protection afforded by rigid MX style boots.
    With the MX boots I have tripped and fallen hitting my fortunately helmeted head so I figured they made me dangerous off the bike. I gave those boots away.
    Since then I enjoy the comfort of Adventure style riding boots but they do come with potential for greater foot injuries like this bruise: foot.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting this vid. This area is fairly close for us and now on my ride list. Admiral I think he had cell coverage on the whole ride. Corona on one side and Orange County, Mission Viejo on the other side of the Santa Ana mountains. Most of these peaks have cell and communication towers on them. These SoCal coastal peaks get very little rain( 8-15”a year) so they are mostly coastal scrub brush. You’ll see trees in the seasonal creek bottoms with a few year round creeks. The vegetation comes back fairly quick but the hazard is mud slides if we get storms with 3-4 inches of rain before it gets going. Kinda hard for those pine trees to survive with frequent fires on the peaks.
    ”Everything You Know is Wrong”

” How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You Are Nowhere at All?”

Twin 2014 TW200's made side by side on the assembly line, Moose rear racks, Protaper ATV high bars, DG oval pipes, kick starters, rejetted carbs, 130 main jets, 2 -3 -.020 shims on the needles and @ 2 1/2 turns on the pilot screw, #34 pilot jets, Acerbis hand guards, Shinko 241 front tires, modified Krator foot pegs, 14-55t sprockets, Ricochet skid plates and 90 degree fuel filters.

I always rode with street Red Wings but last May sprung for a set of Forma Adventure boots for increased safety. They are comfortable right out of the box and even easy to walk and hike in as well. Didn't have a desire to go with MX boots which along with my Dual Sport helmet would have really made me look like an Imperial Guard. I have trashed these boots so many times and washed/hosed them off just as many. After they dry they look just as good as right-out-of-the-box.

Initially I did have a bunch of missed gear shift changes that were annoying. Granted I was also barreling the TW again and again in very deep mudholes. So I was never sure it is was the "wet" or me/ the boots, perhaps both? I do know that later when things dried out and I also was just riding around wearing sneakers everything seemed to shift perfectly. No adjustment to the clutch or cable necessary.

Hey, hooray, the drone is back. Just wanted you to know you inspired my into buying my first flying camera, a Ryze Tello. It can't and won't be able to be used the way you use your Pro Drone. It's a tiny toy and inexpensive but it does have some options the bigger and more expensive drones have. Has visual positioning though it is not GPS and unfortunately has brush motors. But at $99.00 it's an incredible bargain and ridiculously cheap for what you get. A "toe in the water for me" and because of it's size it is perfect for practicing in your house (except my beagle hates it). Check out the youtube reviews for anyone looking for a real fun little drone. Has DJI & Intel technology but manufactured by Ryze Robotics. It comes under the weight and size that requires you to file with the FAA. Your cell phone is the virtual controller.
    If you buy one for your kid or Grandkid make sure you actually give it to them. Better get a couple extra batteries and separate charger too.
    If I really get into it I'm really impressed by the DJI Spark but that is spendy for me as a novice. This is perfect.
    Last edited by stagewex; 09-25-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Boot selection for dual sport riding is a tough compromise between off-bike comfortable agility vs. the armored protection afforded by rigid MX style boots.
    With the MX boots I have tripped and fallen hitting my fortunately helmeted head so I figured they made me dangerous off the bike. I gave those boots away.
    Since then I enjoy the comfort of Adventure style riding boots but they do come with potential for greater foot injuries like this bruise: foot.jpg
    Which reminds me - we haven't had a "boot thread" for a while - so I'm gonna start one - lol .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Nice thing about drones is you can use them to stage a mock assassination attempt like in Venezuela as an excuse to round up a couple of opposition leaders and have them quietly disappear never to be heard from again.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Took me a while to get used to shifting when I first started wearing protective footwear. I once broke my foot while wearing steal shanked hiking boots when my foot went toes first into a boulder while crossing a creek. Since then I can't count the number of times my feet have been smashed into rocks and the only damage was a bruise on my foot and another battle scare on the boots. I'm on my second pair of Fly Maverik ATV boots. They are shorter than regular motocross boots making it easier to walk and shift even (for me). We usually wear shin and knee guards as well but most of our riding is on logging roads and trails which ain't always smooth.

Neat to see you exploring further out. Does the brush grow back in the burnt area's rather quickly or does it take generations (20-50 years)? Do you take or use a locator beacon device on your trips? If you get good cell reception (at all times) maybe you don't need one but if you get out in the boonies you may. Just a thought. I rode for years without one but I always made sure I told someone where I was going for the "just in case". Still a good idea to tell someone where you're going regardless if you carry a locator beacon device.

Keep the video's coming.
    Shifting is definitely tricky! I went out for round two the other day and they felt a little better but still pretty clunky. The feeling of being protected is very nice, though!

It's going to take quite some time for the brush to grow back. I'll be dead and gone before anything remotely close to the old growth grows back. Pretty sad.

I don't use a locator and rarely tell anyone where I'm headed. Horrible solo riding etiquette, right?! I absolutely need to invest in one of those Spot gadgets.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yikes! You basically have the whole rainbow in there! I was originally going to buy the Gaerne trial style boots but opted for something that offered more protection. I think I still might buy them just to prove that you should always go with your first choice, haha.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
    Thanks for posting this vid. This area is fairly close for us and now on my ride list. Admiral I think he had cell coverage on the whole ride. Corona on one side and Orange County, Mission Viejo on the other side of the Santa Ana mountains. Most of these peaks have cell and communication towers on them. These SoCal coastal peaks get very little rain( 8-15”a year) so they are mostly coastal scrub brush. You’ll see trees in the seasonal creek bottoms with a few year round creeks. The vegetation comes back fairly quick but the hazard is mud slides if we get storms with 3-4 inches of rain before it gets going. Kinda hard for those pine trees to survive with frequent fires on the peaks.
    Thanks for watching! For sure. Go check it out when you get a chance!
    Tweaker likes this.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links