• 3 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By NVcowboy
  • 4 Post By NVcowboy
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By NVcowboy

Thread: Up the Hill - Down the Hill - Pick up Sticks

Up the Hill - Down the Hill - Pick up Sticks

Another after work series ride.

Split Squad. TW200's Scoob and Wilbur are stored up at the retreat. XT200 Squirrel and TW200 Purple Bee are stored down below. Was gonna give Purple Bee some exercise but I was too lazy to drive the couple mile round trip from the Back 40 to the gas station so I took Squirrel who was already fueled up.

Yeah baby, gonna get a little dusty on this one.

Up the hill

Down the hill

Gosh darn people are pigs road hazard Now this is the part which pisses me off. Somebody was so lazy when they came out to the BLM land to illegally dump their yard debris they couldn't even dump it completely off the road.

Grrr, some people!

So, I moved the sticks. You may notice this stick is more than just a stick and could have done some damage to ANY vehicle which hit it.
    Last edited by admiral; 10-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    jtstdub, Mel, Purple and 5 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral, you are a credit to humanity. At this rate you are going to give motorcyclists a good name.

"Make Idaho Great!" - sounds a bit better motto than the old " Don't Be A Guberif" ( "Firebug" spelled backwards ) painted on backroad tarmac.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Last time I saw don't be a guberif was outside Grangeville before heading down Whitebird after we buried my old man up in Colfax, WA in 2010. It's in the same spot, painted on the road, has been ever since I can remember. Everytime we went down that direction as a kid we would see who could spot the guberif first.
    Fred and Mrs. Admiral like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bet the 12 switchbacks on the old highway 95 Whitebird grade would be fun on a TW. white-bird-hill-google-earth-3-600.jpg

The new highway alignment is pretty entertaining too. Lots of memories but darn steep country throughout the region.
    admiral, ejfranz and Miaugi like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Old Whitebird or new, 35 years new I think, my little sister would get car sick and introduce us to her boyfriend, RALPH!
    Indeed that would be a fun ride. No runaway truck ramps to duck out on. Just good ol' exciting switchbacks.
    My Dad used to tell us stories when he was a kid on that road. Gramps had a car with a big bench back seat and a grab bar to hold on to, no seat belts. My dad and uncle would slide back and forth on the switchbacks sandwich crushing my aunt in the middle. Maybe that's why she became the Wicked Witch of the South (Hill)(Spokane).
    Fred and admiral like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Bet the 12 switchbacks on the old highway 95 Whitebird grade would be fun on a TW. white-bird-hill-google-earth-3-600.jpg

The new highway alignment is pretty entertaining too. Lots of memories but darn steep country throughout the region.
    Quote Originally Posted by NVcowboy View Post
    Old Whitebird or new, 35 years new I think, my little sister would get car sick and introduce us to her boyfriend, RALPH!
    Indeed that would be a fun ride. No runaway truck ramps to duck out on. Just good ol' exciting switchbacks.
    My Dad used to tell us stories when he was a kid on that road. Gramps had a car with a big bench back seat and a grab bar to hold on to, no seat belts. My dad and uncle would slide back and forth on the switchbacks sandwich crushing my aunt in the middle. Maybe that's why she became the Wicked Witch of the South (Hill)(Spokane).

1. Old Whitebird Grade is on my TW pavement Bucket List. I have driven it in a pickup a few times. It's gonna be a winner. You should also be aware there is another old highway near the top of Whitebird. I don't know if this is still considered part of Whitebird or not but it will take you down the north side of the ridge and hook back up to Hwy 95 just west of Grangeville.

2. Also on my Pavement list and on the same highway (ish) is the Old Spiral Highway out of Lewiston, ID. It's the old hwy 95 grade. Have driven this one several times as well but I cheated because I lived in Lewiston for 4-5 years.

3. Also, also is the Old Winchester Grade. Again another bypassed Hwy 95 Grade. I have ridden this one on the TW's with Mrs. Admiral. I think this one has much more pucker factor than Old Whitebird or Spiral Hwy grades because of the lack of guard rails and there is virtually no shoulder on much of this grade.

Winchester Grade is in this video from about 1:45 to 2:15, bug splatter on the lens and all.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My grandparents used to let my cousin and I ride down the Lewiston grade on our BMX all the time. "Don't tell your mothers." He'd say. As we lived in Colfax just 45 mi. north on 195, we were in Lewiston/Clarkston, and Asotin all the time. Winchell's donuts for breakfast and Hardees for lunch. But mostly I remember that smell. Ooh that smell. You would hit that cloud of paper pulping mill stinkin up the air about halfway down the grade. My dumbass cousin made the fateful error of trying the runaway truck ramp on his bike. The crash was epic and my laughter still haunts those hills.
    admiral, Fred, Purple and 1 others like this.

That smell is the smell of Money. I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all. In the dead of winter the really bad smell came from the composting facility over in Clarkston. I don't know if it's still there or not.

Middle daughter just graduated from LCSC this past May and our youngest goes to UI. I'll get plenty of chances to get those other grades checked off the bucket list
    NVcowboy likes this.

Lots of times we'd have a wiggle wagon full of cows for auction heading down into town. So we would contribute to the $mell. Your welcome.
    Go Vandals
    admiral likes this.

Sponosred Links