Odd wildlife encounters
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Odd wildlife encounters

Odd wildlife encounters

After having a squirrel jump over my front wheel the other day, it occurred to me that I've had more odd run-ins with wildlife on my TW than I think I have any other bike, and not necessarily just because of time spent off-road. There are some deer near a local park that have been gradually warming up to me, and I can get within 5-10ft of them now. Almost hit a groundhog. Had a small bird of prey (some type of hawk I believe) fly at head level just off to my left for about 30-40 yards. Had a bat barely graze my helmet. And a small dog (not quite wildlife) ran up and started making sweet sweet love to my leg at a stoplight, much to the embarrassment of its owner. Much of it I either didn't get on video, or the footage was of too poor quality to bother, but here's a couple videos I did get.

Pissed off snake:

Random dead bird attack:

Anyone else have odd animal encounters while on their TW (or other bike for that matter)?
    Last edited by nihil; 09-27-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    admiral, Fred, Ken and 1 others like this.

I've had 3 suicide partridge fly into my bike this summer and that was 3 separate occasions. Before this I haven't seen a partridge in a few years.
    Ken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    After having a squirrel jump over my front wheel the other day, it occurred to me that I've had more odd run-ins with wildlife on my TW than I think I have any other bike, and not necessarily just because of time spent off-road. There are some deer near a local park that have been gradually warming up to me, and I can get within 5-10ft of them now. Almost hit a groundhog. Had a small bird of prey (some type of hawk I believe) fly at head level just off to my left for about 30-40 yards. Had a bat barely graze my helmet. And a small dog (not quite wildlife) ran up and started making sweet sweet love to my leg at a stoplight, much to the embarrassment of its owner. Much of it I either didn't get on video, or the footage was of too poor quality to bother, but here's a couple videos I did get.

Pissed off snake:

Random dead bird attack:

Anyone else have odd animal encounters while on their TW (or other bike for that matter)?

Am I a bad person to think the bird falling from the sky was funny? I think that was funny.

Besides cows running across in front of me...a lot,

I've had plenty of snake encounters. Most of them I don't tell my wife behind me there was a snake on the road because she's deathly afraid of snakes. Now that she leads more often, I hear her grumble about the snakes.

A few of my encounters over the years (which I usually stop and take a picture if they don't move too much):

Mr. Rattler. This one was dead before I passed it but I didn't know it at the time. Darn near scared the liquefied bodily fluids into my shorts it did by golly.

More snakes from different rides, different years. Most are Bull Snakes, also know by other names in different parts of the county.

I've also had the Feral North American Killer Chicken try to attack us

And you always have to be on guard for the Jackalope running in front of you. One stab wound by their antler's would ruin you're day.
    Purple, Ken, bad luck and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, got to watch out for them flying dead birds, werechickens and sometimes just brain dead birds who want to follow the TW and mate with it.

That fellow followed me for quite a ways before I turned the camera on him.
    admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yeah, got to watch out for them flying dead birds, werechickens and sometimes just brain dead birds who want to follow the TW and mate with it.

That fellow followed me for quite a ways before I turned the camera on him.
    I forgot about one encounter and you're video reminded me of it. I don't think this encounter was a mating ritual but more of a chicken zombie attack.

Purple and Ken like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Bull snakes and the occasional Stick snake. Of course lots of cattle. A few wild horses. couple of deer. Lots of suicidal dove. rabbit. no jackalope or snipe yet. one marmot, and lots and lots of curious timber tigers.(chipmunk) oh yeah and a young bull moose down by the marina (pond) a mile or so from the house. He was pretty cool, even made the paper. Couple of drunken wandering Shoshone. (do they count as wildlife) and I rode through a small swarm of bees. good thing I was dressed for success or i'd a been a hurtin' cowboy.
    admiral, Purple and Ken like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NVcowboy View Post
    Bull snakes and the occasional Stick snake. Of course lots of cattle. A few wild horses. couple of deer. Lots of suicidal dove. rabbit. no jackalope or snipe yet. one marmot, and lots and lots of curious timber tigers.(chipmunk) oh yeah and a young bull moose down by the marina (pond) a mile or so from the house. He was pretty cool, even made the paper. Couple of drunken wandering Shoshone. (do they count as wildlife) and I rode through a small swarm of bees. good thing I was dressed for success or i'd a been a hurtin' cowboy.

Couple of drunken wandering Shoshone. Well, it certainly is an encounter and wild and life were probably part of the deal.

Forgot another one. You reminded me of the vicious pack of wild horses we ran into once also. Deadly they are. I think old w/too many apples had a picture or video of him feeding a pack of wild horses in this general region as well. Not the same pack as this one but not that far away.

NVcowboy, Purple, Ken and 2 others like this.

Damn horses are a nuisance around here. Harem up the cattle, raid feed lots, steal water rights. We had a plan to round em up and start shipping them to Japan for extra$$, until that damn T. Boone Pickens wife stuck her out of state nose into our business. And she aint even from CA.
    admiral likes this.

Had a bird fly into my ear at 85 MPH on the interstate riding my ST 1300. Barely caught sight of it and turned my head so it didn't hit square in the face. Been 2 weeks and it's still sore. Wearing a 3/4 helmet with open ear slots.
    admiral, Ken and Fred like this.
    2017 XR650l
    2014 NC700X
    2005 ST-1300
    Wanted TW450

I've heard of a feather in one's cap but a feather in one's ear? Ouch!

Did collect a spread eagled bat centered on my BMW's grill one spirited dawn cruise by Washington's Maryhill Stonehenge replica honoring WWI veterans. Being in a cage I was unaware at the time, only later getting gas did I notice the bat modified BMW logo. maryhill.jpg
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links