Crashed my TW - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Crashed my TW

nihil
    Thanks for the update...very glad to hear everything checks out OK!
    Please do continue to watch for anything unusual going on, like I described in my post.
    It took months for some of my symptoms to show up.
    Dave
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Wishing a speedy recovery. Hopefully will be strafing that corner in fine style once you can exchange the Bledsoe for a normal riding boot 61kLM+7Wv8L._SY355_.jpg
    admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Ninil, I hope you heal up quickly. Thanks for posting your story. i actually enjoy reading about other people's crashes. It helps me and others learn what to do or not do to avoid future crashes of our own. So, please excuse my question but I gotta ask.

You said "when I'm approaching the corner you can see a bit of a wobble where I lock up the rear. Entirely normal, I do it almost every time right there in the same spot, but this time it rode out a bit longer and I remember thinking "I don't normally skid that far, I must be going faster than usual"."

Am I understanding you correctly? Do you actually lock up your rear wheel routinely when corning on the street?
    Last edited by sibyrnes; 12-16-2018 at 11:26 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nihil - hope you recover quickly. That was definitely rear tire traction loss. If you ride mostly on road a TW203 and 204 would possibly help situations like that, but only on perfect road conditions. Main thing is I hope you get riding again soon.
    01 street 203/204
    96 hybrid Shinko 241/428
    89 restored SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by sibyrnes View Post
    Ninil, I hope you heal up quickly. Thanks for posting your story. i actually enjoy reading about other people's crashes. It helps me and others learn what to do or not do to avoid future crashes of our own. So, please excuse my question but I gotta ask.

You said "when I'm approaching the corner you can see a bit of a wobble where I lock up the rear. Entirely normal, I do it almost every time right there in the same spot, but this time it rode out a bit longer and I remember thinking "I don't normally skid that far, I must be going faster than usual"."

Am I understanding you correctly? Do you actually lock up your rear wheel routinely when corning on the street?
    Not quite. I don't lock up the rear intentionally "when cornering on the street". I do lock it up with some regularity in some situations though. For that particular corner, being as tight as it is, the approach involves laying on the brakes and a downshift, which will frequently lock it up in a very benign and predictable manner before turning in. I also find that locking it up to swing the ass around the corner in my driveway that goes around the small garage to be great fun when returning from a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerflorida View Post
    Nihil - hope you recover quickly. That was definitely rear tire traction loss. If you ride mostly on road a TW203 and 204 would possibly help situations like that, but only on perfect road conditions. Main thing is I hope you get riding again soon.
    Thanks. The thing about going to a more streetable on-road tire for me is that I also like to get it deep in the off-road muck when I get where I'm going. There is no grail tire for my particular habits unfortunately.
    Fred and Darth like this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Gnarly hope u are recovering well and thanks for sharing it makes me want to ride like a grandpa haha. At least will be more careful 😉 Crashing does tend to do that but as the injuries fade so can the memory of it and before long we start pushing a little more again haha

Truly sorry to see the accident, and glad you are recovering.

But, on the bright side, your camera work gets a solid 10 from me. The way you flash between yourself, the bike, and the road, over and over, and then at the end, you send the camera under the bike for that dramatic shot.... It doesn’t even appear to be CGI. I’ll never understand how you did that!

Steven Spielberg has competition.
    nihil likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Disclaimer: These are my own opinions & not an official statement of Acme Corporation or any Acme employees. Actual mileage may vary. Price does not include tax, title, or license. Some assembly required, each sold separately, batteries not included. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. If conditions persist, contact a physician. Do not pee into Wind. Call doctor for erections lasting more than 48 hrs; & Guiness Records. If you already pee'd into the wind, change clothes immediately.

Watching this linked video until the end (even if you watched it before) is well wort it (for everyone) as a refresher. I had watched your video, excellent work by the way. I didn't want to comment as to what the cause of your crash may have been though. I relate to myself in those situations, it's generally "I f'd up one way or another" and it could have either been completely avoided, or at a minimum, recovered before some damage presented itself. Good riding technique not only comes from experience and practice but from training (self or otherwise), especially where it's related to breaking bad habits or remembering and reacting quickly enough the techniques to avoid or recover before you're hurt. When I haven't ridden in a while (few weeks) I have a mental checklist of techniques I run through. It helps. Hope your recovering well

Try to watch before commenting, it may change perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Not quite. I don't lock up the rear intentionally "when cornering on the street". I do lock it up with some regularity in some situations though. For that particular corner, being as tight as it is, the approach involves laying on the brakes and a downshift, which will frequently lock it up in a very benign and predictable manner before turning in. I also find that locking it up to swing the ass around the corner in my driveway that goes around the small garage to be great fun when returning from a ride.

Thanks. The thing about going to a more streetable on-road tire for me is that I also like to get it deep in the off-road muck when I get where I'm going. There is no grail tire for my particular habits unfortunately.
    TopPredator likes this.
    Husqvarna TE300i Fuel Injected 2-Stroke 2019
    Yamaha XT225 - 1999 Serow
    Yamaha TW200Z - 2010
    Yamaha BW200 Electric Start! - 1986
    Yamaha TTR225R - 2003
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro - 2017
    Kawasaki Prairie 650 - 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post
    Gnarly hope u are recovering well and thanks for sharing it makes me want to ride like a grandpa haha. At least will be more careful 😉 Crashing does tend to do that but as the injuries fade so can the memory of it and before long we start pushing a little more again haha
    Thanks, I'm hobbling around a bit more quickly and a good portion of the overall body soreness has worn off. Sometimes it's nice to have reminders to not do stupid things that aren't a direct result of you doing stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
    Truly sorry to see the accident, and glad you are recovering.

But, on the bright side, your camera work gets a solid 10 from me. The way you flash between yourself, the bike, and the road, over and over, and then at the end, you send the camera under the bike for that dramatic shot.... It doesn’t even appear to be CGI. I’ll never understand how you did that!

Steven Spielberg has competition.
    Went the extra mile to get the shot, and somehow the camera managed to come out of it completely unscathed! Fortunately it was separated from the helmet when it did the tumbling, else I'd probably still be a bit more sore than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
    Watching this linked video until the end (even if you watched it before) is well wort it (for everyone) as a refresher. I had watched your video, excellent work by the way. I didn't want to comment as to what the cause of your crash may have been though. I relate to myself in those situations, it's generally "I f'd up one way or another" and it could have either been completely avoided, or at a minimum, recovered before some damage presented itself. Good riding technique not only comes from experience and practice but from training (self or otherwise), especially where it's related to breaking bad habits or remembering and reacting quickly enough the techniques to avoid or recover before you're hurt. When I haven't ridden in a while (few weeks) I have a mental checklist of techniques I run through. It helps. Hope your recovering well

Try to watch before commenting, it may change perspective.
    I can tell you exactly what caused it. 100% rider error

That's a fun video I hadn't seen before though, thanks for linking it. The bad 80's acting is great while still being informative. Somewhat of a Stapler Farher Klaus for two-wheelers with a bit less work for the makeup department.
    JerseyJeeper likes this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Someone really ought to put up a sign or something...

`09 TW200

Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponosred Links