Crashed my TW
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Crashed my TW

Crashed my TW

I've gone into this corner much hotter a hundred times over, but they started doing construction on the corner (the spot I glance over to on the right) and that traffic in and out seems to have left behind debris/silt/oil/something that made things pretty slick.

Total damage is a fractured ankle, mild concussion, the usual scrapes and bruises, and a slightly impacted ego. I haven't found a set of riding boots I like that are available in 12-13, so I've been using work boots. Pretty sure if I had some proper riding boots my ankle would have been fine. So definitely "all the gear all the time", instead of "most of the gear all the time"...
    Dryden-Tdub, TopPredator and Darth like this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Ouch, so sorry to see and hear this!

What front tire do you have on?

sorry to hear this.

my first day out on my BC to BC ride i hit some diesel spilled on the road and went down equally fast. luckily i only had a case of road rash on my left side, and could continue on my ride.
    it can happen so fast.

i hope you heal fast and can continue to ride pain free.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So sorry to hear this man. Hope you heal fast.

Was it the spot visible at :17 at normal speed and :26 in the slow motion? Just looks like the front tire lost its grip in that area.

Ouch. Sucks when the stuff you video/record involves harm, especially to yourself. In your other "handlebar posting" I assumed it was off-road?
    Street = double-ouch at any speed.

Try these, I love them for both off-road and street. Very comfortable right-out-of-the-box and easy to forget you have them on if you have to do some walking.
    Mine have been underwater, under mud, dirt, sand, etc so many times it's amazing how much better they look after drying everytime I hose them down and wash with simple car soap.

No, not going to be as protective as a full-bore MX boot but if you are not actually riding MX... then you won't look like an Imperial StormTrooper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are waterproof BTW until you are in water over-the-top:

IMG_8878.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5566.jpg

Still looking great:
    IMG_5622.jpg
    Last edited by stagewex; 12-14-2018 at 06:48 AM.
    Dryden-Tdub and Ken like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Proper riding boots don't always work, don't ask how I know.
    Miaugi, Darth and Ken like this.

Ouchie. Get well soon. Crashing sucks.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    Ouch, so sorry to see and hear this!

What front tire do you have on?
    Stock deathflipmurderdonut, but it was the ass that broke loose, not the front.

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    sorry to hear this.

my first day out on my BC to BC ride i hit some diesel spilled on the road and went down equally fast. luckily i only had a case of road rash on my left side, and could continue on my ride.
    it can happen so fast.

i hope you heal fast and can continue to ride pain free.
    Thanks. Not my first drop, and I doubt it'll be my last. I do find that the older I get, the more sore I get afterward though.

Quote Originally Posted by MatadorMkV View Post
    So sorry to hear this man. Hope you heal fast.

Was it the spot visible at :17 at normal speed and :26 in the slow motion? Just looks like the front tire lost its grip in that area.
    Yep, I ran it rhrough at normal speed, followed immediately by slow motion at 20% or so of actual speed. Front tire held fine, the ass end let go then found grip, which made everything lurch back over to the other side, everything grabbed fine on that side which made it flop back over to right side down which threw me off. I went tumbling, bike went sliding. Rang my bell pretty good, but glad I had a good helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    Ouch. Sucks when the stuff you video/record involves harm, especially to yourself. In your other "handlebar posting" I assumed it was off-road?
    Street = double-ouch at any speed.

Try these, I love them for both off-road and street. Very comfortable right-out-of-the-box and easy to forget you have them on if you have to do some walking.
    Mine have been underwater, under mud, dirt, sand, etc so many times it's amazing how much better they look after drying everytime I hose them down and wash with simple car soap.

No, not going to be as protective as a full-bore MX boot but if you are not actually riding MX... then you won't look like an Imperial StormTrooper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are waterproof BTW until you are in water over-the-top:

Those aren't horrible looking. I don't do full on MX, just a lot of street in between some trails or mud holes. I'll have to give those a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tuna View Post
    Proper riding boots don't always work, don't ask how I know.
    No gear works 100% of the time, but it sure does help the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Ouchie. Get well soon. Crashing sucks.
    Thanks, it surely does. This was its first drop of any kind since I got it though. Picked it up with 916mi on the odo this past spring, and it's a little over 5,100mi now. The closest it had been to dropped prior to this was when I intentionally and gently laid it on its side to do the front sprocket +1 tooth.

Live and learn. That's usually a really fun corner.
    Last edited by nihil; 12-14-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Mel, Sthrnromr and Miaugi like this.
    `09 TW200

Hidden Content

Ouch! So sorry.
    Nihil almost made a heroic recovery after the rear tire let go. Impressive quick coutersteer, perhaps just a tad too much for the front tire to then save the day. Understandable with the curb milliseconds away. Maybe Wayne Rainey could have rode it out, maybe not.
    Point is Nihil shows how an experienced rider reacts with intuitive responses to situations...no time to think or plan, instinctive self preservation and muscle memory take over sometimes with surprising success.

I have the Forma Adventure boots, perhaps the most comfortable footwear I own. However they do not provide a level of protection much greater than work boots compared to crippling MX plastic clad boots.
    nihil likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

This right here. A good helmet is worth it, no matter what. Glad you are ok and thanks for sharing and the reminder for all of us. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get riding again as soon as possible. Also, yes, every year it hurts more lol.

Attachment 187446
    Fred, jtstdub and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links