• 4 Post By m0t0-rydr
  • 3 Post By TW-Brian
  • 2 Post By elime
  • 2 Post By m0t0-rydr
  • 1 Post By elime
  • 4 Post By Fred

Thread: Rare Bay Area White Stuff > 2-5-19

Rare Bay Area White Stuff > 2-5-19

While letting the dog do his morning duty I saw the "white stuff" on the foothills behind me so decided to go up and see how deep.

I went up Stevens Canyon to Redwood Gulch. The snow started showing on the ground near the top where Redwood Gulch connects with Hwy 9.

There were several cars off the road on Hwy 9 above Redwood Gulch. One going up the hill into the guard rail and another into a rock off the road coming downhill. The people were out of the cars and OK so I continued on up the hill.

Nice accumulation at 4 corners.

IMG_6063 sm.jpg

IMG_6069 sm.jpg

I headed North (towards Alices) on Skyline even though there was an electric sign saying the road was closed in 3 miles. It soon started snowing while cars were coming at me from the other direction with about 4 inches of snow on their roofs.
    I stopped in a couple miles to get this shot before turning around.

IMG_6065 sm crp.jpg

The snow was sticking to my visor which was also fogging up.
    Riding with visor open I realized it was a combo of snow and sleet. Not fun on the face.

Back to 4 corners where I saw a guy on a GSX-R coming up from the Santa Cruz side of Hwy 9. He stopped at the top for a picture and continued down 9 towards the valley. I let him know there were a couple cars off the road on the valley side. He let me know there was a flipped car a couple miles down 9 (Santa Cruz side). OK then, let's go see.

IMG_6073 sm.jpg

Be careful in the snow if you haven't driven in it. I chatted with the Responders at the crash scene for awhile before heading back.

One more stop for an artsy graffiti shot.

IMG_6068 sm.jpg

It's been awhile since I've seen snow up there and although it was a bit chilly it was worth it to be riding in those elements again.
    And... The TW was the perfect ride to do this slippery deed.
    I only slipped around when I played with the throttle in some locations. Rest the time I was slow and easy
    TW-Brian, YamTW87, admiral and 3 others like this.
    '06 TW Moose skid, Protaper ATV Mid, Acerbis handguards, IRC pegs, folding shifter, Hella +30% bulb. USB/voltmeter, cig lighter socket, tachometer. Oil cooler, .70Kg springs & emulators, 19Kg (red) shock spring, Happy Trails Racks, Roto-pak fuel mount, tool tubes, Shinko 5" front, High front fender.
    ...and more. It's, it's like an addiction!

Other moto's- 88 R100GS, 06 450EXC plated, 06 950 Adventure S, 96 XR600R plated, 03 Zuma 50, 76 ST90, 74 Z1, 53 Harley Hummer.

Impressive moto-, or maybe now I should I say Sno-ryder.
    Nice that you were permitted, and were also capable of riding to Skyline. Good snow riding skills!
    In the past often it would take just a dusting of snow or cocaine to close off access roads to the Santa Cruz Mountains from the Peninsula.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Thanks Fred.

I grew up riding in the snow in winter time in the Pacific Northwest.
    Always did get a kick out of riding in the snow.

Here's one on my SL100 back in the 70's.
    My little Bro liked riding with me too.

SL100 snow adj.jpg

It is much easier on the TW!
    (compared to the KTM 950ADV-S)
    Miaugi, Fred, TW-Brian and 1 others like this.
    '06 TW Moose skid, Protaper ATV Mid, Acerbis handguards, IRC pegs, folding shifter, Hella +30% bulb. USB/voltmeter, cig lighter socket, tachometer. Oil cooler, .70Kg springs & emulators, 19Kg (red) shock spring, Happy Trails Racks, Roto-pak fuel mount, tool tubes, Shinko 5" front, High front fender.

Other moto's- 88 R100GS, 06 450EXC plated, 06 950 Adventure S, 96 XR600R plated, 03 Zuma 50, 76 ST90, 74 Z1, 53 Harley Hummer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks m0t0-rydr!

This time of year, I go to work when it is dark and then come home when it is dark, so I hadn't had a chance to view the surrounding hills until I went out for a bike ride during lunch today. Here is a view from the peninsula side of the bay, looking over the western end of the San Mateo bridge towards the south bay.

IMG_1391[1].JPG

Not as impressive as Fred's back yard, but kind of neat to see snow here in the bay area.
    Mel, elime and grewen like this.

Same area 6 or 7 or 8 years ago. East Bay hills looked like they got a lot of snow. Down to 2500' or so.
    PICT2035a.jpg
    TW-Brian and admiral like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

somewhere i have a picture of me as a 5 yr old making a snowman in san jose. only time in my life i recall snow actually sticking and accumulating on the valley floor. circa 1976
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Here's a couple of photo's of a post snow ride on my '04 DL1000 (Vstrom) on 1/28/2008.
    Same area(s).
    Not as much snow as yesterday.

IMG_6144 sm.jpg

IMG_6230 sm.jpg
    admiral and elime like this.

Another view of the same area.
    PICT2037.JPG

And for Joeband -- snowmen (or should I say snow people?)
    PICT2034.JPG
    joeband likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Some of your drought fighting white stuff spilled over my way. You can have it back.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_791.jpg

Brings out the curious. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7df.jpg
    grewen, Mel, elime and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links