Winter Doldrums XVI - Poison Spider - Loop to Trailhead
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Winter Doldrums XVI - Poison Spider - Loop to Trailhead

Winter Doldrums XVI - Poison Spider - Loop to Trailhead

Come on spring, hurry up! Since my wish didn't come true 30 seconds after I typed the previous sentence (wish, hope, dream...) I'll go ahead and post my last Winter Doldrum video.
    Last section riding of the day. After riding the Poison Spider Loop section, we then headed down the main trail to the Poison Spider Trailhead where we ended our trail ride for the day and headed back to camp.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

SO many different lines. I love it. Great vid. Thanks.
    admiral and ejfranz like this.
    Offroad:
    TW200 - The Goat
    KTM 300 - Orange Dragon
    ATVs

Onroad:
    Triumphs

Way too many past bikes and builds to list. I won't bore you. Questions? Just ask.
    =)

Another great video. Interesting to see someone else's perspective of the trail.
    That section was the worst part of the days ride. We should try going up it this time and do the loop in reverse.
    A bit more challenging
    admiral likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep ^^^^ I left the group when they started to do the PS loop because I was just so fatigued and just wanted to get back to camp. Had not ridden or done any exercise for six months prior to the Moab trip. BIG mistake. I fell so many times going down that section, I was just gonna lay there till somebody showed up to pick my bike up. Even after getting back on pavement, I could not make it all the way back to camp without taking a break (or two).
    ejfranz and admiral like this.

Remind me to give that particular trail a miss .....
    Mel, ejfranz and admiral like this.
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    You just need to start working out. As I said before start doing squats.
    When I was there, this last October, a father with his som and daughter was using this trail to teach them how to ride rough terrain.
    The children were on 80cc bikes.
    admiral likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

Admittedly riding Moab's Jeep Trails are tiring, but being in shape sure helps.
    More squats, less sloth for the next month!
    Camp is around 4,500 feet ( 1,370m) and some rides will take us a mile high (1,600m) or more above sea level. Some find elevation changes affect stamina and sleep initially so some conditioning beforehand is wise. Some like a good after-ride snake oil tincture. snake oil.jpg
    And if that doesn't work there is always this local favorite: Lable_EmbalminFluid__91315_grande.jpeg
    Nothing wrong with starting easy to re-build skills and confidence on the bike after winter's hibernation.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-07-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    Another great video. Interesting to see someone else's perspective of the trail.
    That section was the worst part of the days ride. We should try going up it this time and do the loop in reverse.
    A bit more challenging
    I actually thought this final section wasn't that bad. There are probably pro's and cons of going either direction. I went with Bodi's suggestion of going in this direction because of "The Waterfall". Of course, we helped each other down this section and it was easy this way. I actually thought the "silver crack" as I call it well past the real Golden Crack was the most difficult obstacle, especially with no help. It's very disheartening that you ejfranz and knobby made it up this step on your own and the rest of us needed your help! hahaha. No really, we needed your help.

After Gold Bar Rim and Golden Spike trails, I actually got my sea legs and had fun on Poison Spiker. I may rethink that if we do it in reverse!
    ejfranz likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    It took me 3 Moabs before I got the nerve to try it. Most of my riding struggles came on the Gold Bar Rim trail for some reason. I just didn't "feel it" yet. Once we transitioned to the Golden Spike trail I was feeling more comfortable/confident (except for the "silver crack" area).

Like feeding too much on holiday food, I said I would ride these trails again. Been there done that. However, now that time has passed, I'm ready to ride it again.

For the record, I'm glad I waited for year 3 to try these trails. I got to be a better rider each year prior and for the most part, I did ok as an intermediate rider. Expert riders think these trails are cake (easy) but I still will treat them as difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by old w/?? View Post
    Yep ^^^^ I left the group when they started to do the PS loop because I was just so fatigued and just wanted to get back to camp. Had not ridden or done any exercise for six months prior to the Moab trip. BIG mistake. I fell so many times going down that section, I was just gonna lay there till somebody showed up to pick my bike up. Even after getting back on pavement, I could not make it all the way back to camp without taking a break (or two).
    While I had a ton of fun on the trails, I was still very sore, so I get it! Besides getting in pre-ride shape (for anywhere, not just Moab), I have a pretty good after ride regimen I subscribe to help in post-ride recovery. While some may say it's "embalming fluid" as Fred suggests, I assure you it is not but does the trick. Ask ejfranz!
    (not apple juice)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links