Spring Break for a Day
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Spring Break for a Day

Spring Break for a Day

The first day of spring so it's time to head out the door. Had to avoid falling in the ice & snow, vicious mountain lion attacks, a bunch of mad cows, badger holes ...and one weird guy who looked suspicious. Took the XT and TW out. I also got a new camera and love it. I'll love it more when I get the external mic.

Changed oil, adjusted carb float level, replaced spark plug, replaced air cleaner, replaced 15T w/14T front sprocket, kicked like a million times to get it started after a long winter. My foot is sore!

grewen, Darth, Purple and 4 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I'm glad you were able to break out of your ice cave and get some riding in. How do you like the new gearing?
    Ken and admiral like this.

Another great video!
    Rear facing camera was making nice submarine-like noises but the forward camera's wind noise needs a cotton ball or sumptin'
    I think those badgers left you almost as many shell craters as at Point du Hoc. point du hoc.jpeg
    admiral and Ken like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

that's quite the contrast between north and south, old and new. felt good to get on the 2 wheels didn't it!
    admiral and Ken like this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

Nice vid, Cecil B. DeAdmiral!

I was sure that long, crooked, ugly front wheel-grabber rut right after the first cow was gonna get you!

You catch that guy in the white truck takin' a leak?

Where do you live?
    admiral and Fred like this.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mountain yawp View Post
    I'm glad you were able to break out of your ice cave and get some riding in. How do you like the new gearing?
    Well, so far the only change I can really tell/feel is in 5th gear. As expected, RPM's are higher when I get around 50+. I could pull in 5th gear at a lower speed than before when I would have to downshift to 4th. If it was to hilly I'd have to stay in 4th gear before like when we were at Winom-Frazier on that blacktop road. I'll have to wait for another month or so for the trails to clear up to see how it feels on the trails. I think if I weighed less the previous gearing would have been fine.
    Darth likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Another great video!
    Rear facing camera was making nice submarine-like noises but the forward camera's wind noise needs a cotton ball or sumptin'
    I think those badgers left you almost as many shell craters as at Point du Hoc. point du hoc.jpeg
    Yes, this is exactly what it looks like out there, bomb craters everywhere. Must keep an eye on the trail and not get caught gawking off for sure or you'll end up as badger bait.

When researching my camera I knew that wind noise could be a problem but I tried to go cheap. The noise reduction doesn't help much for the wind noise as you noticed. An external microphone will be on it's way shortly which I'll mount inside the helmet like everyone who owns this camera has done. Noise problem will be solved. This was my first ride with the new camera so now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by grewen View Post
    that's quite the contrast between north and south, old and new. felt good to get on the 2 wheels didn't it!
    You bet it felt good. Even felt good to just get out on the paved road with the XT, once I got off the icy FSR roads. I did take a slightly less icy way back to my cabin on the return.
    grewen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Nice vid, Cecil B. DeAdmiral!

I was sure that long, crooked, ugly front wheel-grabber rut right after the first cow was gonna get you!

You catch that guy in the white truck takin' a leak?

Where do you live?
    Thankfully, it had warmed up and the rut edges are mostly soft now. It's hitting the hard frozen sides of the rut which cause the most amount of swiggle swaggle.

The guy in the white truck sure did look like he was up to something. You can kind of see he didn't want to really make eye contact with me. I waved but he didn't wave back, I guess mainly because he wasn't looking at me. I'm not sure if he was peeing or trying to hide a dead body. I hope it wasn't the latter!

I "live" up in the mountains about an hour north of Boise. The "no snow" riding is about 45 minutes west of Boise towards the Oregon border were we used to live. Riding season down in the valley comes much earlier. Heck, last year forum member ejfranz and I were riding in late January though it was a bit colder than on this day.
    Darth and Mel like this.

Admiral...
    Idaho is on our "RV Bucket List"...along with Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon & N. Cali.
    We have a 28' bumper-pull trailer with a semi-permanent bumper rack for the T-Dub. EZ on, EZ off.
    This will be a late-summer to late fall trek...maybe we'll bump into some fellow T-Dubbers along the way?
    NE states next spring.

What is the elevation at your hacienda?

Are those practice-bomb craters WWII vintage? Any souvenirs to be had?
    Those kinds of places draw me like a magnet...I'm WWII vintage myself!
    Government land?
    admiral likes this.
    “It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

Humans: simultaneously capable of such genius and such douchebaggery!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links