The Applegate Gulch Affair
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Applegate Gulch Affair

The Applegate Gulch Affair

Twice defeated attempting to ride this trail from the bottom I decided to switch strategies and ride it from the top. It was a little tricky locating the trail with all the other logging roads intertwined in the area. The trail was much much steeper than I had imagined so I had to be careful with all the loose soil. I knew I was gonna hit the bonus rim cleaning creek towards the end which had been what defeated me prior. Good times and I made it.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Congrats on making it through. Looks like a nice ride!
    admiral likes this.
    2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by Sthrnromr View Post
    Congrats on making it through. Looks like a nice ride!
    It was a fun somewhat challenging ride for sure. Later in the year I wouldn’t have to worry about getting my feet wet as most creeks out here dry up. The ruts were pretty abrupt and deep so you had to be careful and pick a good line.
    Sthrnromr likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    It was a fun somewhat challenging ride for sure. Later in the year I wouldn’t have to worry about getting my feet wet as most creeks out here dry up. The ruts were pretty abrupt and deep so you had to be careful and pick a good line.
    Looked like fun except the stream section. That XT looks like it could use a way bigger rear sprocket (lower gearing) for such terrain. Just a thought...

Like it ...
    admiral likes this.
    2006 TW200 CA version

Quote Originally Posted by elBuro View Post
    Looked like fun except the stream section. That XT looks like it could use a way bigger rear sprocket (lower gearing) for such terrain. Just a thought...

Like it ...
    I bet the stream would still be rough even without the water. The stock 83 XT200's gearing is 15x47. I've made two gearing changes separately already because I had the sprockets on hand. First with a 50T rear and then went down to a 14T in front. I think the rider has more issues riding through the terrain than the XT does though I've been considering changing the front to a 13T. It's definitely not geared as low as my TW but if I was to get in really gnarly places I'd change the gearing for sure.
    elBuro likes this.

In Real Time...how long time and miles was it?
    admiral likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Man, pretty! Pretty much a wet footed workout at the end.....solid designed wheel cleanser system.
    admiral likes this.

Caution: Objects in right mirror may be rounder than objects in left mirror.
    Lori getting you a matching mirror for Father's Day?
    Looking forward to an Idaho ride with all of you.
    elBuro, Hoot Gibson and admiral like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    In Real Time...how long time and miles was it?
    This trail section about 3.5 miles and took me about 30 minutes which included a short break.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    Man, pretty! Pretty much a wet footed workout at the end.....solid designed wheel cleanser system.
    That creek was a show stopper on my first two attempts. One time because of high water and the second because I sucked at riding upstream (which was also uphill). Going down I knew I'd make it through the stream though I tried not to once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links