My 5'19 Ouachita National Forrest ride
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jstuewe

Thread: My 5'19 Ouachita National Forrest ride

My 5'19 Ouachita National Forrest ride

A few weeks ago I took my 2002 TW on a ride through the Ouachita National Forrest. My friend Juan and I drove out from Round Rock, TX for a 4 day weekend and had a blast!!
    The roads were all very well maintained... a little too well for our taste but the scenery was great and we found enough true off road routes to keep it interesting.
    The second day we rode Wolf Pen Gap trails which were plenty technical. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5212722.pdf These trails were the only place we saw any traffic at all.

I've adjusted my chain 2-3 times in the last couple of years and had it adjusted all the way out. It was still in spec at <2" at the start of the ride but it didn't stay that way :-(
    It threw the chain a few times until it got wrapped around one the rear sprocket bolts and that was the end my ride. It took a chunk out of one of my links and sheared one of the rear sprocket bolt tails completely off!
    If it had done this an hour earlier I have no idea how I would have gotten my bike of the forest, but I lucked out and we were on a road we could get the trailer on so I only had to wait 2 hours while Juan rode back to the AirBNB and brought the trailer back.
    When I got home the chain had a full inch of play in it with only 2800 miles on it so the comments in these forums about the stock chain stretching are on point. If I'd read those posts earlier I would have already replaced my chain.
    Oh well, Now I'm sporting a new X-ring chain :-)

...John
    Round Rock, TX
    2002 TW200

Hope you enjoy the map and videos!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ob...ZE&usp=sharing

IMG_0995.jpgIMG_0985.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1305.jpgIMG_1306.jpg

Darth, Sthrnromr and CrashAdams like this.

The stock chain is kind of crappy. Mine went from middle adjustment to all the way in one ride. Unfortunately it got wrapped up around the countersprocket. Glad you didn't have far to pick it up.

Sponosred Links