Holy Crap! - Tutorial on Water Testing a KTM! - Do NOT try this at home!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Holy Crap! - Tutorial on Water Testing a KTM! - Do NOT try this at home!

Holy Crap! - Tutorial on Water Testing a KTM! - Do NOT try this at home!

2010 TW200 - The Goat
    Triumphs
    ATVs
    Way too many past bikes to list

Yikes!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Mio
    Cheese and rice!!!
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bet that made him blink a few times.
    littletommy likes this.

Whenever I watch these types of videos now, it brings me back to the time, circa 2016, when I very nearly went down the side of a single track on my XT250. Riding along up a steep single track trail in Hungry Valley, CA, at about around 8 or 10 mph, my front wheel hit a rock just the wrong way and bounced up and to the side, bouncing me off of the brakes as it did so. I was able to get back onto the brakes and stop just before careening down, but was already too far to be able to pull my bike back up onto the trail. Even with two people, we couldn't get it back up, so we pushed it 100 feet or so down to the next (lower) part of the single track "snake". Pushing is not the right description: it was more like using motocross boots as skis and the bike's handlebar as a pole LOL. Much of the time (it took a few minutes), both of us and also both the bike's tires with it in gear and the front brake locked up, were all sliding along for a few feet at a time before we could get everything stopped and then start moving again -- as slowly and cautiously as possible. Note that I had the very best/grippiest tires possible for that type of loose-dirt terrain. Oh and, past that lower section of the single-track, which we came out onto, was another piece of extremely steep terrain, but that part did not lead down to another section of single track; rather, it led down into a ravine...probably 200 feet further down.

Another time several years before that, I was sitting at the edge of a ~300 foot cliff-side on my TW200. We were stopped for a moment waiting for others to catch up. I decided to get out a sandwich and was having a quick snack, with the bike in neutral and my foot on the rear brake. I don't remember exactly what happened: I think I just sort of got lazy/lost focus for a second and my foot either stopped pressuring the brake pedal or slipped to the side a little. The bike rolled forward at a relatively slow pace (the hill wasn't steep) for a foot or two. Even so, that was enough to give me quite a scare! I dropped the snack and clamped onto both brakes in about one second LOL!

Be careful out there, guys. Don't get complacent when riding (or sitting!) near steep edges!
    Last edited by kj7687; 09-13-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Sthrnromr and littletommy like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

It's not uncommon for me to drop my bikes from time-to-time mostly in sand (lots of sand) and mud. But those are somewhat controlled falls to a point in a lifelong pursuit of learning (I tell myself).

Last weekend I had a real "crash", not a fall, when my tires caught a patch of mud and the full knobby Scorpians did exactly what they are supposed to do, "GRIP".
    That set me thru a set of trees with the bike going in one direction and me going in the other. I was not wearing my full armored jacket (it was in the 80's) but did have full rib/chest and added shoulder armor too. I had thought the armor on my left shoulder had failed as it spun around and fell mostly off. Later I realized it had taken the full brunt of impact, tore-off and "done it's job", Thankfully.

A few days of pain for me and then seeing this pretty amazing video... THANKS TO GOD for looking over that riders shoulder.
    littletommy, Sthrnromr and kj7687 like this.
    2008 Vespa 150"S" (Elec & Kick Start)
    2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
    2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
    1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
    1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
    1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)
    1969 BMW r60/2, US Model (Kick Start Only)

Is it just me? Or was that dude going WAY TOO FAST!!!
    Fred likes this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by reddave View Post
    Is it just me? Or was that dude going WAY TOO FAST!!!

There's nothing wrong with riding spiritedly on dirt bikes, IMO. That's part of what makes it fun, if you ask me. The same thing can happen at lower speeds easily enough (see my post above -- although in saying that, I WAS able to prevent it from happening to me in that situation; still, it could have).
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Too tall gearing makes for a dangerous minimum speed for any bike either with the cutch engaged, disengaged, slipped or throttle blipped. Perhaps even more so for a 40+ hp competition based machine.
    The wrong bike or inadequate set-up in those situations is just asking for trouble IMHO.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

My way of thinking is "if it's dangerous going slow - then it's treacherous going fast." Lucky man to have not broken a limb or two - even luckier he was conscious when he hit the water and didn't drown. That's a no joke spill. Stay safe out there, friends.
    Darth likes this.
    1987 Yamaha TW200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links