Welcome to Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum Sign in | Join | Faq

TW200 General Discussion

Started by tominboise at 06-03-2007 8:57 PM. Topic has 38 replies.

Print Search
Sort Posts:    
   06-03-2007, 8:57 PM
tominboise is not online. Last active: 4/28/2008 12:30:18 PM tominboise

Not Ranked
Joined on 05-28-2007
Posts 7
Sprocket ratios - best for street and best for trails
Reply Quote
It's probably been gone over 100 times already, but what is the "best" sprocket ratio for commuting, and the best for trail riding.  Also, is it possible to change the rear sprocket only from one to the other relatively rapidly, so as to have the "best" of both worlds?  I commute a few mile to work and back, and run around town a bit, and then I take my 10 yr old son out and trail ride with him on his TTR90.  I also plan to use the bike for hunting expeditions into the idaho wilderness, where appropriate.  The bike is a 2000 model year I picked up recently with 1100 miles on it. It seems like the sprockets on it are geared pretty low, as first gear seems to be screaming at 8 mph.  But they might all be like that.  I haven't counted the teeth yet.

Thanks!

06-04-2007, 8:08 AM
DirtyDawg is not online. Last active: 7/29/2009 12:50:47 AM DirtyDawg

Top 500 Posts
Joined on 05-10-2007
Lansing, Michigan
Posts 68
Re: Sprocket ratios - best for street and best for trails
Reply Quote
Well, I've had a pretty good comparison this past week, as I got to ride two of them with different gearing both on the road and the tight single-track trails.

07 with stock 14/50 sprockets seems too low for street, but from what I'm reading on this site, that motor can rev all day. I run it 60 mph with no worries now that I'm used to the engine buzzing.

94 with 14/42 is too tall for street. Shure, it cruises 60mph nice at lower revs, but can't pull top gear very well up hills. First gear was OK on the trail, but could be lower. Second gear was just a little too tall for sandy uphills.

I'm thinking they both will get 14/45 the next time I replace the chain and sprockets.
   06-04-2007, 8:39 AM
TheMule is not online. Last active: 6/16/2010 10:49:07 PM TheMule

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 09-06-2006
Sunny Southern Utah
Posts 533
Reply Quote
Several hundred miles with 14/45, works well for me. 1st is low enough for trails and 5th gets me 65+ on the highway flats (although STEEP hills I drop to 4th and hold 55).

thanks,
Todd

Utah to Alaska 6100 miles on a TW200

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255995&highlight=alaska+tw200

06-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Goldenhtr is not online. Last active: 7/15/2010 4:09:26 PM Goldenhtr

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 07-24-2006
Stanwood, Wa.
Posts 1,154
Reply Quote

Like I said before I went back to 14/50. I'm not sure what most people call trails, are we talking logging roads or single track? The stock 14/50 is fine for around town driving and some hwy 55-60. TRAILS around here(single track) can be quite steep and the 45 just won't cut it. The best thing to do is test it yourself on what you will be riding on with the stock setup. Then you can always get a smaller sprocket (45). They are pretty cheap at $15.00. I'm still thinking of going to a 14/52. Mr Gizmow can attest to the larger sprocket setup.

Tracy

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/Goldenhtr/Olympic%20Mt%20Ride%2007/

Moderator TW 200 Forum
   06-04-2007, 3:47 PM
Babaganoush is not online. Last active: 12/6/2008 1:27:14 PM Babaganoush

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 03-23-2007
SouthCentral Pennsylvania
Posts 960
Reply Quote

BINGO Tracy,

You just hit my most favorite all-round sprocket combination. 14/52 Will post more later in my 'Ode To The 52'.   : )

Dave

"LOUD VALVES SAVE LIVES" -back side of Royal Enfield T-shirt Big Smile [:D]
   06-04-2007, 8:00 PM
QWERTY is not online. Last active: 1/27/2010 11:44:02 AM QWERTY

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 11-22-2006
Posts 2,360
Reply Quote

My dirt riding is pretty much county roads in the Texas Hill Country. I have no problems with a 15/47 combo. This is also about all the bike will pull on the highway, and that 4-5 jump is sometimes a problem. Redline in 5th is 82mph, scary fast on greasy, grooved, cross-town expressways on knobby tires. Redline in 4th is 62mph, if memory serves. About 90% of the time I can maintain 65-70mph indefinately, but with stronger headwinds and/or steeper hills, I hold 55-60 in 4th and be patient.

I think if I lived in mountains I'd try the stock ratios first. My TW never came across a hill it couldn't climb when the stock sprockets were on. It would chug up anything that wouldn't flip it over backwards. I did some rock-crawling with the stock sprockets and wished there were a few more teeth on the rear sprocket.

http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/558862765XGMCUW

View this slideshow to get an idea of what riding the Texas Hill Country is like. You can also get some idea of the other bikes T-dub had little trouble keeping up with. Their are several pictures of T-dub so you can get some idea of how little work I did to prep her for the trip. Actually, I did nothing other than a routine oil change and put Ride-On in the tires. About slides 89-90 you'll see T-dub and I conquering the biggest, baddest, slipperiest river crossing in the Hill Country. Twice. 119 or so is another crossing, with T-dub blazing expiremental lines through the mud off the main crossing, and the following slides show the reassembly of the KLR that tried to follow. 'Nuff said. Check out the melon-sized rocks in the river beds--I crawled some with the 15-47 sprockets and REALLY wished for something more like 14-52 or 15-55. The county roads posed no problems for the 15-47s.

06-04-2007, 8:37 PM
MR2turbo4evr is not online. Last active: 3/12/2010 11:11:35 PM MR2turbo4evr

Top 500 Posts
Joined on 04-16-2007
Posts 66
Reply Quote
I am using:

front sprocket - stock
rear sprocket - 42 tooth

I really like this combination. It makes the first gear usable and it feels like you have another gear. I use my bike for trails mostly (90%) and its great, but I think a 45 tooth rear sprocket would be a better choice for trails. I can do 60mph easily without having the engine screaming like crazy. The other day I even had it up to 80mph (with some decent tail wind) and it still sounded alright.

If you are mostly using it on trails I would probably to with a 45 tooth rear sprocket (stock front). If you are using it mostly on the street, 42 is the way to go in my opinion.
   06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
fromveedubya2teedubya is not online. Last active: 4/16/2008 11:37:11 PM fromveedubya2teedubya

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 05-16-2007
Posts 544
Reply Quote
 QWERTY wrote:

My dirt riding is pretty much county roads in the Texas Hill Country. I have no problems with a 15/47 combo. This is also about all the bike will pull on the highway, and that 4-5 jump is sometimes a problem. Redline in 5th is 82mph, scary fast on greasy, grooved, cross-town expressways on knobby tires. Redline in 4th is 62mph, if memory serves. About 90% of the time I can maintain 65-70mph indefinately, but with stronger headwinds and/or steeper hills, I hold 55-60 in 4th and be patient.

I think if I lived in mountains I'd try the stock ratios first. My TW never came across a hill it couldn't climb when the stock sprockets were on. It would chug up anything that wouldn't flip it over backwards. I did some rock-crawling with the stock sprockets and wished there were a few more teeth on the rear sprocket.

View this slideshow to get an idea of what riding the Texas Hill Country is like. You can also get some idea of the other bikes T-dub had little trouble keeping up with. Their are several pictures of T-dub so you can get some idea of how little work I did to prep her for the trip. Actually, I did nothing other than a routine oil change and put Ride-On in the tires. About slides 89-90 you'll see T-dub and I conquering the biggest, baddest, slipperiest river crossing in the Hill Country. Twice. 119 or so is another crossing, with T-dub blazing expiremental lines through the mud off the main crossing, and the following slides show the reassembly of the KLR that tried to follow. 'Nuff said. Check out the melon-sized rocks in the river beds--I crawled some with the 15-47 sprockets and REALLY wished for something more like 14-52 or 15-55. The county roads posed no problems for the 15-47s.

QWERTY  that looks like  a great ride... Spring in Texas looks awesome, the  whole area looks like it's wild with snakes, coyotes and scorpions.... My kind of country.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
   06-05-2007, 4:39 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 11-22-2006
Posts 2,360
Reply Quote
 fromveedubya2teedubya wrote:
 QWERTY wrote:

QWERTY  that looks like  a great ride... Spring in Texas looks awesome, the  whole area looks like it's wild with snakes, coyotes and scorpions.... My kind of country.

It seemed like every living thing out there either could bite, sting, or be venomous. Virtually every local resident we ran across had a gun, too.

06-05-2007, 5:02 AM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 09-06-2006
Sunny Southern Utah
Posts 533
Reply Quote
God Bless Texas (as they say).
Todd

06-05-2007, 9:37 AM
Frank Colver is not online. Last active: 2/10/2009 3:31:14 AM Frank Colver

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 01-07-2007
SoCal, OC
Posts 476
Reply Quote
For the difficult slickrock trails in Canyonlands NP, I mounted a 62 tooth sprocket last year, so I could crawl over the nasty stuff. I fully intended to go back to 50 when I got home. However, I continued to use the 62 here in the SoCal desert and now that I'm going back into the Maze I'm glad I left it on there. There were times in the Maze last year when I would have liked an even lower ratio than the 62 tooth! However a big difference between a trike and two wheels is that I have no minimum speed for balance and control. Therefore, 62 teeth might be to slow, starting out, when riding two wheels. I haven't tried it on anything other than the trike.

Trikester
   06-05-2007, 7:35 PM
mrgizmow is not online. Last active: 7/15/2010 12:33:17 AM mrgizmow

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 10-21-2006
Paradise, Calif.
Posts 2,439
Reply Quote
Sprocket size seems to fall into the same category as re-jetting and louder exhaust, preferences based on what kind of ridding you do. My interest is primarily trail ridding. I generally ride pavement to get to the hills but my routes are mostly mountain roads with uphills and tight corners, doing 50 to 55 mph is fine. I put a 55 tooth rear sprocket because I like keeping the rpm's down and just tickle the throttle when climbing steeper, rocky single track. The 14/55 combo works great for mountain pavement and technical dirt (my opinion for my ridding style.) I think the rear sprocket that Tracy mentioned above (52 or 53 ?) would be just fine. I got a 55 because that was the only step up from 50 I could find. I do use my duel rear sprocket set-up and that gives me the benefit of stock gearing should I do any flat ridding in the valley. For me, getting extra speed beyond 60 mph is not a consideration.
PS...... Qwerty, enjoyed your link. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I am sure glad I can lift the TW by myself. A couple of your pictures reminded me of those 'ethnic' jokes. 'How many Texans does it take to lift a XR650' ?
Gerry
Be safe my Friend.
   06-05-2007, 8:31 PM

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 03-23-2007
Posts 960
Reply Quote

I'm glad there are a few of us out here that prefer a larger than stock sprocket. I always feel like I am trying to lure people to the 'Dark Side' when talking about a 54 or 52 tooth sprocket. The 54 was the first one I used for about the first 500 miles. It is great for the cow path or country roads. I also used it for super engine braking for corners while I was getting my riding skills back (girls like guys with skills). I did not want to overshoot a corner coming in too hot and not geared up enough. I then found myself on country and State roads only (need to do a lot more trailblazing to make off-road worthwhile on my property). 35 to 55 mph. Lots of hills, curves, and twisties- bad roads to asphalt ribbons. I went back to the 50 tooth and was immediately underwhelmed. The FUN was gone! Yeah, I had a bit more top speed, but the rest was BLAH. I had the idea to split the difference and try a 52 so I ordered a JT Sprockets JTR1842.52 and put it on. (I had to cut one section of a 126 tooth chain off to get it in adjustment range.) My top is now about 70 (unmodified lean engine at the moment). Can hold 65 easily. Comfortable cruising is 55 to 60. But the biggest advantage is having the right gearing when downshifting for corners (like Goldilocks and The Three Bears). After a ride today I rode it to the top of my steepest hill without problems. IMHO the 52 is perfect for the type of bike this is and the type of roads I am riding when I go out Joyriding. Don't forget, some people don't do windows- I don't do Freeways. For what its worth- Take it or leave it. I love my 52.

Dave

06-08-2007, 8:17 AM
eldavo is not online. Last active: 4/25/2010 9:42:49 PM eldavo

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2007
Perth, Western Australia
Posts 1,169
Reply Quote
 tominboise wrote:
what is the "best" sprocket ratio for commuting, and the best for trail riding.

Our Aus delivered is 14/45 gearing.  I don't think it is the best of either scenario, but it is in the vicinity of the best compromise - the factory chose it, and they're good at compromising!  It puts the highway average top speed rpm around 7900rpm.  Riding freeway here (100kph, 62mph) it would be nigh on the engine's peak power rpm.

http://tw200.wiki-site.com/ our own Wikipedia!
TW Wiki Updates thread
   06-08-2007, 5:29 PM
thumper is not online. Last active: 7/23/2009 8:31:05 PM thumper

Top 200 Posts
Joined on 01-21-2007
Disconnect, WI
Posts 126
Reply Quote
I simply started with the stock and then figured out what I wanted to do - then went here:

http://www.it-ideas.net/bike/calc.htm

As a sidelight, my lady ("The Iron Marshmallow") and I ride with 15/48. Keeps the battery charged in town, 55 mph is a breeze, and no problems in the sand we play in...
It ain't the roads you go down, it's the detours you take. Take'em ALL!
06 TW200 & 90 TW (current and main love)
BMW GS-PD (gone)
Yamah XT600 (gone)
variety of choppers in the 60s (gone)
59 Bonny (gone)
   06-08-2007, 7:38 PM

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 03-23-2007
Posts 960
Reply Quote

Hi thumper,

Thanks for the cool calculator. The speeds seemed kind of low for the results I have been getting with a 50,52, and 54 tooth sprocket. I measured my rear tire circumference with a tailor's measure and came up with 80.25 inches. I did a conversion found on about.com and plugged in the 25.54 tire diameter that the calculator gave me. I input MPH for units and engine RPM at 9500. I came up with the top speeds (at least the speedometer speeds) I was seeing for each of the different sprockets. I will probably be purchasing the Top Gun Tachometer that eldavo posted and then I will get better idea of actual engine RPMs in the future. Check it out!

Dave

06-08-2007, 9:48 PM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2007
Perth, Western Australia
Posts 1,169
Reply Quote
I have compared this calculator thumper posted (created/hosted for TW200 by patrick_za) to the numbers the digital tacho displayed, and factoring the higher reading factory speedometer, it is very accurate spreadsheet.
e.g. I posted in the tacho thread I think that I got to redline in 4th gear at about 105kph indicated iirc and showing 9450rpm on tacho before changing gear.  With my 14/45 gearing the calculator gives actual as 101kph at 9450rpm.

TW Wiki Updates thread
   06-09-2007, 6:32 PM

Top 25 Posts
Joined on 03-23-2007
Posts 960
Reply Quote

Hi eldavo,

I understand that the Yamaspeedo is probably running at least +4MPH above actual speeds. Many vehicles do the same. My Volvo wagon was showing +4 compared to my GPS. The only real way to know is by GPS on the bike but I don't have the cash for one right now. I will be ordering the Top Gun Tach you recommended soon because that is very reasonably priced. I would be interested to watch that thing top 9 grand rpm because it sure does not seem like it is doing anywhere near that when I am leaning on it.

Dave

06-10-2007, 7:15 AM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 09-06-2006
Sunny Southern Utah
Posts 533
Reply Quote
Interestingly enough I changed my rear sprocket to a 45 tooth. The GPS and the speedometer read the same speed.

thanks,
Todd

06-10-2007, 7:30 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 02-21-2007
Perth, Western Australia
Posts 1,169
Reply Quote
Our speedo in the front wheel hub though.  I couldn't explain the speedo reading from odometer (front wheel) and GPS changing with the gearing change... except for inconsistency of GPS and/or speedometer?

TW Wiki Updates thread
   06-10-2007, 7:39 AM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 09-06-2006
Sunny Southern Utah
Posts 533
Reply Quote
Didn't think of that and I never tested the Speedometer with the GPS unit before the switch to the 45 tooth sprocket. Apparently I got one of the only TW's with a properly calibrated speedo.

thanks,
Todd

06-12-2007, 1:14 PM
cityboy is not online. Last active: 10/22/2008 8:47:16 PM cityboy

Top 200 Posts
Joined on 04-12-2007
Big Apple
Posts 101
Reply Quote
After riding some technical and at times steep single track I would say that the STOCK setup is the best. There were times I wish I had a larger rear sprocket especially going through some rock gardens and some downed trees, but I was able to get through. At the end of the day I was still able to ride 55 - 60 mph to get home. This bike totally rocks!!!

2000 TW 200

06-12-2007, 5:27 PM
mrgizmow is not online. Last active: 7/15/2010 12:33:17 AM mrgizmow

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 10-21-2006
Paradise, Calif.
Posts 2,439
Reply Quote
Cityboy:
Stock sprocket setup is pretty good, let us know what other combinations you have tried so we have a point of comparison.
Thanks, Gerry
Be safe my Friend.
   06-14-2007, 6:49 AM
cityboy is not online. Last active: 10/22/2008 8:47:16 PM cityboy

Top 200 Posts
Joined on 04-12-2007
Big Apple
Posts 101
Reply Quote
This is the only sprocket combo I have ever used and my first bike. I was thinking about getting a lower tooth count on the sprocket since I ride mostly on street. I changed my mind after riding offroad.

2000 TW 200

06-16-2007, 9:27 AM

Top 10 Posts
Joined on 11-22-2006
Posts 2,360
Reply Quote
My '03 speedo is spot-on with a half-worn C913, according to the roadside "your speed is ..." radar units. The '05 was 2% optimistic (1mph more than the radar at 50mph) with the stock tire. It seems a little under actual speed with the TW203.
  Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 >
Yamaha TW200 Tr... » TW200 Forums » TW200 General D... » Sprocket ratios - best for street and best for trails