Welcome to Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum Sign in | Join | Faq

TW200 Technical help

Started by novaks44 at 09-28-2009 7:53 PM. Topic has 5 replies.

Print Search
Sort Posts:    
   09-28-2009, 7:53 PM
novaks44 is not online. Last active: 7/13/2010 10:22:17 PM novaks44

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 02-04-2009
San Jose, CA
Posts 530
Tongue Tied [:S] Borrego Rack
Reply Quote
Anyone have issues installing a TCI Borrego rack? The arms that mount to the signal stocks seem to far apart, yet they're also too close, because they dig into the plastic body work. I tried to install washers between the rack arms and signal mounts, but they were all too thick. Who has one of these racks, and what did you have to do to install it?
2009 TW :47T Rear Sprocket; Pro-Circuit Exhaust w/silencer; Jimbo C's Cafe Shield; The usual carb mods; LED speedo and indicator lights; Headlight kill switch; DID O-ring Chain; Ricochet Skid Plate; Osram Rallye H4 bulb; Wolo horn w/relay; KLR pegs
   09-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 02-04-2009
San Jose, CA
Posts 530
Re: Borrego Rack
Reply Quote
Well, I sent off an email to TCI, so I'll wait and see what they have to say. Hopefully I just got a bum one, because this little rack is perfect for what I need.
2009 TW :47T Rear Sprocket; Pro-Circuit Exhaust w/silencer; Jimbo C's Cafe Shield; The usual carb mods; LED speedo and indicator lights; Headlight kill switch; DID O-ring Chain; Ricochet Skid Plate; Osram Rallye H4 bulb; Wolo horn w/relay; KLR pegs
   09-29-2009, 6:58 PM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 02-04-2009
San Jose, CA
Posts 530
Reply Quote
I got a very courteous reply(and FAST), but it was just to go over the install. I replied with pics to show how far off this particular one is. The gap seen is equal on both sides. And factor in the fact the rack is already hitting plastic on BOTH sides, and you have an impossible fit.

Pics :

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/novaks47/Borrego%20Rack/
   09-29-2009, 7:13 PM
MSG Hall is not online. Last active: 3/22/2010 6:21:07 PM MSG Hall

Top 75 Posts
Joined on 05-12-2009
Fort Drum, NY
Posts 271
Reply Quote
I don't have the "right" answer.... but it looks like you could put an extra nut in between to use as a spacer. granted, it should fit better than that, but if you want to make it work, then just use a thick nut a few sizes biger than your bolt so the bolt slips through... just an idea

09-29-2009, 7:40 PM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 02-04-2009
San Jose, CA
Posts 530
Reply Quote
I tried a few different washers, but then I can't get the signal stocks back on. I end up with barely half a thread sticking through. Thanks anyways. I paid good money for it, and they're going to make it right. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having to fiddle with things to make them work, but sometimes I get a part like this that's so far off, that it would take some serious modding to make it work. At that point, I'd be better off making something from scratch. I'm irritated, but not terribly upset over it. It's not the first time I've gotten a bum part.
   09-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Top 50 Posts
Joined on 02-04-2009
San Jose, CA
Posts 530
Big Smile [:D] Re: Borrego Rack
Reply Quote
Ok, here's the update. Both Nate at TCI, and Tom at Turbo City, have been VERY helpful. I've never seen such amazing customer service from a custom parts manufacturer. Here's Tom's email to Nate, which was forwarded to me :

"I can't explain what is going on there. We have sold about 35 of these and
have not had a fit problem. I checked the sample part to the jig and to the
parts that we have in stock, they are all identical (bracket spacing/length/
position).

We are going to build a special rack for this customer. We will make the
bends slightly different to fit this application for him. It will take a
couple of days to get it put together."

Amazing. Basically they could've told me tough beans. And why it won't fit my TW is just beyond me. Weird! Just the same, I'll have my rack yet! I replied saying that if Tom wants/needs any more pics, or measurements, I'd supply them ASAP. I also said I'll ship the one I have back to them(which oddly wasn't requested yet). And yes, I thanked them.

So, both these vendors are definitely great people to deal with.
Yamaha TW200 Tr... » TW200 Forums » TW200 Technical... » Borrego Rack