TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and greetings,
I have an '01 with no spark. I had intermittent spark with the plug that was in there so I bought a new plug and nothing.
It has 3800 miles on the clock. Could it be the CDI or the coil? (Is the coil the part hanging under the top bar where the tank goes?
What are testing proceedures.
Thank you in advance.

-R

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Switch the petcock to reserve just to be 100% sure it is getting gas.

The spark can be hard to see on a TW. Verify it is the spark: Put a couple of tablespoons of gas in the spark plug hole and try to start it. If it runs for about a second or so, it is not the spark.

·
Registered
850 Posts
First verify that it is in fact a lack of spark. While the cheapest and most likely culprits are the coil or the plug, your other possibilities are the CDI, and one other possibility to check would be the wires that come from the stator. When I changed my front sprocket I really biffed it when I was reinstalling the cover and pinched or damaged the wires and was getting no spark because of that. Thats the least likely cause of your problem though. Coils are like $11 on ebay, cheap insurance to replace it even if its not your current problem. Like another person mentioned, you can verify if youre actually getting spark by either putting fuel in thru the spark plug hole or spraying starting fluid in there. If it fires, you know that you have spark, and are dealing instead with a fuel delivery problem

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Rusty Hanmmer. Like to hear how you are doing. Have you gotten your TW up and running reliably? A few folks over on the XT225 forum have had similar experiences that have been traced to a thermal short on the stator. When hot, stator output is very limited or non-existent and engine dies and will not start until cool. Gerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts