TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01' ttr125 with no front brakes (except rotor), dead battery, torn seat and most importantly, will not start, probably due to low compression.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a neat winter project- keep us posted

·
Registered
663 Posts
PSC, these bad boys are notorious for needing top end rebuilds. The other stuff sounds pretty easy to manage.

Weisco makes a kit (piston and rings) for about $150. You will also need to check the cylinder to see if it is scratched or scored. May need a maintenance overbore, should run you about $50.

Keep in mind that the 125 needs an oil change about every 10 hours. It has a weird centrifugal "oil filter" on the end of the crank under the primary drive gear. It fills up with gunk eventually. It can be replaced, but it is not easy and requires diving into the bottom end.

There are some members here who know way more about the 125s than me, so stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boooooo! He sold it out from under me. Why tell someone that you would hold it if your not going to. I understand selling it to first person with cash in hand, just don't tell me your gonna hold it for me then!

...Rant over

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So here we go. Something better did come along
2005 ttr125let electric and kickstart, renthal bars and good plastics and seat. Also has good compression and very clean carburetor.

Needs new tires and brakes but engine is good running well. It does smoke a little but I will clean the exhaust and see how it is then. Even if it does need a rebuild it will be good for another year til it gets it. Cant wait to ride some trails with my girlfriend beside me instead of screaming in my ear! Lol

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
So here we go. Something better did come along
2005 ttr125l electric and kickstart, renthal bars and good plastics and seat. Also has good compression and very clean carburetor.

Needs new tires and brakes but engine is good running well. It does smoke a little but I will clean the exhaust and see how it is then. Even if it does need a rebuild it will be good for another year til it gets it. Cant wait to ride some trails with my girlfriend beside me instead of screaming in my ear! Lol
Sounds like fun.

Got any picuters?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not any good ones... i'll be more inclined to when I get it all "finished" in the next couple weeks

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ordered new tires and tubes, spark plugs, fork seals and oil, front and rear brake pads and a gasket kit so I can check out the top end and replace valve seals. I also need to open up the electric starter and see why it is not engaging. I hear it spinning but it doesnt catch a gear? Thing should be top notch after I get these things done and installed. Exhaust will be sanded and repainted along with the pegs and kickstand. Cost me more than I expected but it will be worth it if and when I am finished. It is always nice to do things by yourself so you know everything was done right!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Is the black plastic gizmo behing the kick lever part of the airbox?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its the battery box. The air box is about 4 inches back, behind the plastics.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Only holds a 4 amp battery. Bummer.

The search continues. I gotta re-arrange mine for a serious battery.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Needs a new cam chain. I hear it slapping around in the case. Also the electric start doesnt work now but it will when I get it a new starter clutch.

Also it has rust around the pegs and a few other parts of the frame. What is the best way to remove it and repaint. I'm hoping that I can find the yamaha blue paint at a decent price or I may consider just changing up the whole color scheme.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buying a new cam chain and starter clutch for it. It should all be done then, at least mechanically. Everything seems to be coming along well. I did pinch the new tube when putting a new tire on today

One other thing, it is wound for a headlight so i'm probably going to order the headlight kit for it. I am thinking I am going to sand and repaint the frame and engine. Then it should be good as new!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New fork seals, heavier fork oil, tires, tubes, rimstrip and rimlock, front and rear brakes, oil changed, new plug, grips, donuts, bar pad. I used someto naval jelly to remove the rust on the rims. Sanded off the muffler rust and repainted it along with a few other small parts.

Its running good now and starts on the first kick. I have a gasket set with new valve seals that i'm waiting to install. I am going to order a new starter clutch and cam chain this week and will install the valve seals and them at the same time.

This is how its lookin now!

After all is said and done I will be in for right around $1000 for this 05' LET. Not bad for a large tire 125 with electric and kickstart along with front and rear adjustable suspension. The smile on my girlfriends face while riding trails with me... PRICELESS!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's 5'3". The seat height is 31" just like the TW but it is narrower and has adjustable suspension/sag which makes it really easy and ideal for shorter riders. It is also much lighter than the TW

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
She's 5'3". The seat height is 31" just like the TW but it is narrower and has adjustable suspension/sag which makes it really easy and ideal for shorter riders. It is also much lighter than the TW

Cool, thanks. It looks higher, especially when it isn't next to something else for comparison. I was imagining it was jacked up like a CRF450 my buddy rides.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can anyone tell me what this is? It was just dangling and I cant seem to figure out what it should plug in to. It seems to be part of the ignition wire bundle.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That's half of either a broken clutch safety switch or brake light switch. Looks like someone epoxied it in the open position.

It fits into one of the hand lever perches, but the part which holds it in has gone byebye.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts