TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_2555.JPG

Hello all,

I just got a 2009 Tw200 this past weekend as my very first motorcycle. I am 19 and have been wanting a bike for some time now, and I'll say it now, I had absolutely no intentions of settling on a TW. But, my uncle had one that he was selling so I jumped on it and I have become the proud owner of a 2009 TW200, that is in immaculate shape. (275 miles on the bike)

Now, I will not be able to ride until next week but I did ride the bike home (a 40 mile trip) and I fell in love with this little beast on that ride. I don't know if it was the ease of riding, the forgiveness, or what. But I am excited to start my journey into the rabbit hole. I have been Lurking the Forum for about a week now and have some good ideas formed on what this bike is all about, so with that said:

What Tips/Tricks have you got for me?

What mods would you recommend? (I Love Mods).... (But I also Love the Stock, Clean Look)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome!!

Same bike/year as mine!! :cool:

I'd say just ride the bike for a while to get experience & feel with the bike. It'll start coming to you what you might need to do with mods, etc.

Reactions: Peterb

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Congrats on the bike..!

View attachment 181864

Hello all,

I just got a 2009 Tw200 this past weekend as my very first motorcycle. I am 19 and have been wanting a bike for some time now, and I'll say it now, I had absolutely no intentions of settling on a TW. But, my uncle had one that he was selling so I jumped on it and I have become the proud owner of a 2009 TW200, that is in immaculate shape. (275 miles on the bike)

Now, I will not be able to ride until next week but I did ride the bike home (a 40 mile trip) and I fell in love with this little beast on that ride. I don't know if it was the ease of riding, the forgiveness, or what. But I am excited to start my journey into the rabbit hole. I have been Lurking the Forum for about a week now and have some good ideas formed on what this bike is all about, so with that said:

What Tips/Tricks have you got for me?

What mods would you recommend? (I Love Mods).... (But I also Love the Stock, Clean Look)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome from Bel Air MD. First Tip... update your profile so we know where you are from. You might have a member in your area that you can ride with

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
112 Posts
First mod, ditch the front tire for a Shinko 241 or 244. I like the 241. Front stock one is a known faceplanter. Only got squirrely on me a couple times, mostly gravel/sand/loose grass, but all the evidence i needed.

Then skid, if you plan to bash some. Hand guards. Risers or bar. Rear rack. Etc... But i'd start with tire before all else. Rear is fine. Think my Shinko was like $52

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I agree on the front tire. But I will add, my intentions of how I'd ride changed. This makes it worth a wait to decide on mods. I thought I'd be dual sport and riding on the road, then I turned out to be only off road on long rides, now shorter more challenging enduro riding on tight technical trails. I have panniers and racks and survival camping gear and now it's all collecting dust since I stripped it down and added hand guards, bar risers, and high front fender mod. No regrets as I might find a use for those older parts in the future but my point is, priorities change as you get to know your bike, riding terrains, and riding style. But that's part of the adventure...happy trails.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats on the TW now go ride it.
Like Trail Woman says priorities change so get a lot of riding in before making changes.
Ride, ride, and ride some more. Practice panic stops, tighter turns, counter steering and constant balance.
Find a safe area and ride in circles, u-turns, brake slides and master the basics before wheelies, stoppies or backflips.
Then find some dirt and learn all over again, it’s completely different and much more fun.

and I gotta ask you said “no intentions ...TW”. so what did you reallllly want?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ballsup - My first bit of advice: You'll want to ride ballsdown, and definitely not ballstothewalls (for a while, anyway). Seriously: This is an exciting time for you. Just take it easy and ride alone for a good while until you get the hang of everything. Riding with others is only distracting. The TW is the PERFECT bike to learn on, and for many of us; the perfect bike to keep riding. For mods: I'd start with replacing the front tire if you plan to do off-road riding. If your riding will be street only, the stock tire is just fine. Be sure to read about the proper break-in procedure and scheduled oil changes for your bike - It's basically still brand new! I'm stoked for you!
Keep checking-in here. There's so much good stuff to learn.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Congrats. You are so lucky to have a motorcycle like that at 19. My first bikes were just shy of Wall of Death machines.
Take it slow and easy and smile a lot unless there are a lot of bugs around.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Add a few items to your bike but most important buy good protective gear. Boots, armor, helmet, gloves etc. Wear Hi-Viz when riding on the streets. Don’t be young and dumb enjoy your new sport and be safe. Both of my sons have had accidents, one hit a deer and he sold his bike and decided to never ride again. My youngest son hit a car that pulled in front of him last weekend. He is ok but his bike was totaled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I come from a family that has lived and breathed Harley Davidson. So when I wanted a bike, the Sportster 883 was my first idea, then I soon realized that I didn't want to be confined to the limits of a cruiser, nor did I need to go fast. So this was my compromise.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If you ever decide to explore your roots there are lots of modded bobbers, cruisers and choppers that starter as TWs. Just pop custom TW in a google image search. Webike has some cool parts just for the TW for these kind of mods.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
Welcome!
That sure is a handsome bike.
It is a good bike to learn on, plus there is room on the back to take your girlfriend out for a spin.

Reactions: Zoeller

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's much easier to ride when you know where your feet are planted and can get them where they belong quickly as well as safely and easily.... To that end, IMO, larger foot pegs for the rider are my # 1 reccomendation.( Excellent ones are available here on the forum thru Placerload or thru Ebay for cheaper models which also get the job done )....

I have done several mods to my 2010 including DMO foot pegs, and Aluminum "Ricochet " skid plate ( both from Placerload ) , a Shinko 241 front tire, Pro-taper ' High ATV " bars and grips, a rear rack from "Cycle Rack ", Hand guards and Rigid lockable cargo box mounted on the rear rack......( you can find that storage brage box for the rear rack at Home Depot for very cheap. ) ;) under $30.00.:cool:

The modification that gave me the best results when talking safety, reliability and a feeling of confidence in the off road riding of my TW was the improved foot pegs.. # 1 mod IMO.

From there, it seems for some the skys the limit !

Have fun, keep your head screwed on, and be safe.... you have a great bike so no concers there.;)

Gene aka: excalibur

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome from British Columbia. You're really going to enjoy your new ride :) I kept my '13 stock for awhile and then started upgrading one item at a time every 6 months or so: hand guards, front tire, rear rack... list below. Same with safety gear. It's all part of the fun!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Oh boy, this reminds me a lot of myself...11 years ago! I bought my first "motorcycle" (a 50CC Honda Ruckus) when I was 20, and very shortly thereafter, my first legitimate motorcycle -- also a TW (a brand new 2007!). I can't fucking believe it's been eleven years; my god, life really passes you by!!!

The rabbit hole is a dangerous place. Be careful out there! Watch out for cars on the road -- really watch out for them; they are what is most likely to kill you. If you don't have a big, expensive pile of protective equipment, buy it soon and always remember ATGATT (ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME!): boots, gloves, full face helmet, jacket with built-in elbow/forearm armor, chest/spine protector (the kind that can be worn inside a jacket), some kind of kneck brace, rib protector, knee braces, and some Kevlar-reinforced jeans if you can afford them, etc. -- all of it CE approved where applicable! Lord knows how many serious injuries all my gear saved me from over the years: certainly many! Find some experienced riders who are happy to show you the ropes and give you some riding-skills tips. I learned by myself but do not recommend that approach, LOL. I had absolutely no clue what the hell I was doing and was learning in a fairly advanced-skills off road environment. It wasn't very safe, but somehow I survived.

Also understand that the TW is not a "normal" motorcycle, and that you may have to essentially re-learn basic skills on and off road if/when you transfer to a "real dirt bike". On the street, you can pretty much ride it like a crotch rocket and it'll work fairly well in spirited riding, except that the relatively easily-upset chassis/suspension can cause low sides if you're not careful. Other than that, it works great. And off road, slow and steady like a Jeep works great (not like "real dirt bikes", on which you want to hall ass and use their power and suspension to blast up/over terrain).

If/when you start venturing off road, be conscious of the necessities: some snacks, a lot of water (I would go through 7 or 8 regular-sized water bottles in a single hard day-ride), extra gas if/where necessary (a Rotopax and some cam-buckle straps works well for this), some basic hand tools, some kind of GPS system in case you get lost (I used an old hiking piece; it helped get me and my brother out of a potentially serious developing situation a couple of years ago! -- as did the extra gas I was carrying: split a gallon between his XR and my XT, and saved us a walk to the gas station -- about an hour one way from where we would have run out).

As for mods, the first is a good skid plate (Ricochet), then other armor (upgraded ProTaper handlebars with some good handguards -- maybe Cyrca, and maybe a CycleRack for the back end), gearing change if you don't mind screaming at 55 mph on the highway -- or leave it stock-geared for slightly better street manners.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in the jungle out there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts