TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw an article on MSN on the internet that had this topic and wondered why the TDub wasnt in the list? Surely they know The Dub is one of the most indestructible rigs on the planet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm preparing a sailboat. Hopefully big enough to have a Dub or two on it for short island exploration.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Whatever you drive you will probably want to convert it to run alcohol or some other flammable liquid you can make in small batches yourself.

Had a magazine ages ago with an article on converting a VW engine into a closed loop steam engine. With a boiler that would burn just about anything, propane, gas, diesel, alcohol, even wood or cow chips.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
My Dad told me when he was in Germany during WW2 (he was a POW) that he saw cars that ran on wood. Wood was placed in a closed container so oxygen couldn't get to it and then a fire was built under it. The wood broke down into something that could be used as a fuel for car and trucks. I think it is called "The Destructive Distillation of Wood", or maybe it was cellulose, I don't remember. He said it made a lot of smoke and the engines ran rough. It might be easier than trying to distill alcohol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My Dad told me when he was in Germany during WW2 (he was a POW) that he saw cars that ran on wood. Wood was placed in a closed container so oxygen couldn't get to it and then a fire was built under it. The wood broke down into something that could be used as a fuel for car and trucks. I think it is called "The Destructive Distillation of Wood", or maybe it was cellulose, I don't remember. He said it made a lot of smoke and the engines ran rough. It might be easier than trying to distill alcohol.

Been done on a bike too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c51G2kUOGw&feature=related

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I'd say PMTG nailed that one........ Easy to power, push or carry. Likely travel 70 miles on the calories you would spend chopping wood for the car. Small enough to stash if you needed to head into the hills.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
several good pair of leather personal carriers. And tube socks! Then whatever mode of transportation could be scrounged, if necessary. m.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The best vehicle would have to be something you operate with one hand. I believe this to be critical. If you were operating a vehicle that required the use of both hands, how could you be expected to head shoot zombies while driving?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would the T-dub survive an EMP? Probably not...bet my old Honda Trail 70 would, though it wouldn't be happy carrying my fat arse around...

·
Registered
149 Posts
My last gallon of gas is going into the chainsaw.

No machine saves as much work as that thing.

I bought one of those kid-behind-a-bicycle trailers at a yard sale for $20.

Stripped it down to basics, and then made a hitch that U-bolts to my T-Dub's swingarm.

It has dramatically increased my Dub's transport capacity.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My last gallon of gas is going into the chainsaw.

No machine saves as much work as that thing.

I bought one of those kid-behind-a-bicycle trailers at a yard sale for $20.

Stripped it down to basics, and then made a hitch that U-bolts to my T-Dub's swingarm.

It has dramatically increased my Dub's transport capacity.

Pictures please

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pictures please

- Two large angle brackets, one of them bent open to 45 degrees,

- 3 square U-Bolts around the swingarm,

- 1 eyebolt to attach a different trailer.

The hitch remains attached to the swingarm all the time,

and I just remove the two bolts that hook up the trailer arm,

OR,

you can remove the 3 U-Bolts.

It's either a 1 minute, or a 5 minute operation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts