·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would a moderator please fix this for me? It should say the same thing in the title as in the body of the post. Thank you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
(snip)
secondly, and on a much more serious note, one of the items that "should" have been in the top 10...is "lack of rider experience or education"

this far too often overlooked. It is so easy to blame the other drivers, or the road conditions, or everything else in life. And in a lot of cases....it is the fault of the other driver, or the road condition, etc. But there is no substitute for experience and education. There is a reason why i am still alive, and continue to ride, with all my years and miles of riding. I have run across every gamut of bad drivers out there, but experience and having a fully functioning brain certainly helps avoid a lot of the items listed in that top 10 list.
^^^this^^^

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LT, a couple comments here. First, the funny one.........in Item # 9....I wonder if the drive-up window at that Burger King is open for business ? (ha ha ha ha ha)

Secondly, and on a much more serious note, one of the items that "should" have been in the Top 10...is "Lack of Rider Experience or Education"

This far too often overlooked. It is so easy to blame the other drivers, or the road conditions, or everything else in life. And in a lot of cases....it is the fault of the other driver, or the road condition, etc. But there is NO substitute for EXPERIENCE and EDUCATION. There is a reason why I am still alive, and continue to ride, with all my years and miles of riding. I have run across every gamut of bad drivers out there, but Experience and having a fully functioning Brain certainly helps avoid a lot of the items listed in that Top 10 list.
Totally agree Mike, of course I didn't write the article, so can't be held accountable for missing content..:D
I like bringing to mind and posting anything I think might help riders out there. So if a post like this, prevents even one rider from getting hurt, it was worth my effort to post it. With 50+ years of riding myself, I learned a long time ago that my head has to be totally in the game to stay alive. Riding doesn't seem like it was years ago, there are so many dangers out there, especially with the distracted drivers with the cell phones, etc. Thanks for posting that Mike!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a serious note, #2 is my most often cause for concern, most of the other things are manageable with foresight.
That is the one that most concerns me too. You just can never tell what someone might do.

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yep I agree with all the above comments. There will always be vehicles that run lights, change lanes without signaling, follow to close, etc etc. Its my responsibility to avoid the bad drivers in vehicles and on motorcycles. It amazes me how some people ride motorcycles and stay alive.
Ride safe guys.

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
While many of the hazards come from others not paying attention, like in the article above, a great percentage of accidents and injuries come from the rider himself. Lack of education and proper training, not having an adequate "situational awareness", being overconfident, not wearing any protective gear (including ALL of it - helmets, armored jacket, gloves, boots, maybe pants), drinking, drowsiness, distraction (radio, music, talking on a cellphone), etc. You must take an active role in keeping yourself safe - nobody else on the road gives a crap about you so do it yourself. It's way less painful than a trip to the ER, or the morgue.
Like they say, you have to ride like you are invisible, and you are the one ultimately responsible for your own safety.

·
Super Moderator
17,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's better to sweat, than to bleed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts