TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So where I live, the only way to buy enthenal free gas is to buy premium, so my question is, does it matter if I run 10 percent enthenal in my TW? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
269 Posts
The TW will run with 10% ethanol. It runs better without it. I would pay extra for alcohol free gas but I can't get it here.

I try to remove as much alcohol from the gas I put in my TW by field expedient means. I mix pump gas with water, let it sit for a day then drain off the water/alcohol mix. The remainder goes in the tank (and for chainsaws).

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could just add Stabil to the mix and not worry about it if the ethonal free is too expensive. A bottle of Stabil from the home depot or advanced auto parts treats a lot of gas.

Lance

·
Registered
310 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfZgDkRwAUk

This video shows what happens when you mix water with ethanol gasoline to separate the ethanol out.

It doesn't even take long for the adhesion and sinking.

This is also a good way to test your state's fuel pumps to prove they're putting ethnol in gasoline that they say they aren't.

I live in Iowa, where ethanol gasoline is cheaper than non-ethanol gasoline. ie: 87 octane costs more than 89 octane here due to "no ethanol" in 87 octane.

Air cooled engines run hotter with alcohol in the gasoline. Aluminum carburetors and the rubber air boots for the carbs die a slow (or not so slow) death due to ethanol in gasoline. I hate the stuff. But I live in a state where I can be murdered for treason if I talk bad about corn.

If you live in Minnesota or one of the other states that mandates ethanol in all gasoline, maybe try this Startron additive. Supposedly it's really good about keeping the ethanol suspended with the gasoline (probably keeps water suspended in it as well.) People in the boating industry have more trouble with ethanol separating from gasoline due to water getting into their gas. But it sounds like a benefit of running Startron additive is that the ethanol stays in the gasoline and is less corrosive to aluminum and rubber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BTO8EjKW6U

And... It sounds easier to add Startron to your gasoline right when you fill up than it does to have a big bottom valved jug that you separate the alcohol out of your gas back at home camp.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oooooh ethanol. Lets see. Gov't susidised. Why not, that's a long sorry list. Fouls your fuel system. Gives you the opportunity to enjoy poor mileage. Made 3 of my Tahoes ping to a scary degree when towing. Hmmmm. And I am a "Tall Corn State" native who made some rather good moola building these plants at one time. I won't run it in anything related to toys. Period. If you decide to run it or have no choice I would recommend a regular dose of Seafoam. At least it seems to help to keep some of the moisture from collecting in the bottom of the carb/fuel system. At 50 to 70 MPG or better with the TW I'd pencil it out. Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
.... maybe try this Startron additive. Supposedly it's really good about keeping the ethanol suspended with the gasoline (probably keeps water suspended in it as well.)

I have used Startron by Starbrite for two years now whenever I can't get pure gas (mostly on trips). It seems to work well, although it doesn't help with the power loss. For winter storage, I always use real gas and if I could not get it I would drain the tank and carb.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In NJ we have no choice but to use ethanol (at least for pump gas). It's horrible stuff, if I had pure gas available at any price, it would be a no brainer for toys like the TW and my pit bikes.

As for those videos, it makes sense that water mixed with gas seperates the ethanol. But, how do you get the gas out of that beaker without water? I would like to try this for my pit bikes, since a gallon of gas might last all year...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Attn Hillbillies and shiners

The video clearly shows you can "break" the gasoline ethanol solution

So buy your E10 gas

Make separator funnel or liquid centrifuge and spin out the clear water alcohol layer

You now have 60 to 70 proof shine though stinky

Pass through activated charcoal remove most of the stink

Add some apple flavored kool aid

·
Registered
2,410 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I've been thinking about going to the marina down the road and trying marine fuel. I've heard it has no alcohol.
It depends on the marina.

I just filled a 5 gallon can today at the marina near my cabin.

It was non ethanol, but was $4.25 per gallon, even though they don't have to pay highway taxes on it.

Jb

·
Registered
278 Posts
There's a pretty easy method of separating the alcohol using a plastic gas can, a ball valve and a piece of clear tubing on this goldwing forum. It's about 1/3 of the way down the page.
I just checked out the GoldWing site. If in fact the ethenal binds with the water the (MrFunnel) funnel might just do the trick. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
It depends on the marina.

It was non ethanol, but was $4.25 per gallon, even though they don't have to pay highway taxes on it.

Hey, you're only fueling a TW! For the whole year it probably costs you an extra $20! (less the 10% better mileage, call it $18). Worth it ten times over, especially when you store it for the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Untreated ethanol in gas usually has a 30-45 day shelf life in a vented can or tank. If it is in a modern car, the gas system is sealed to prevent HC releases and also greatly reduces the amount of ambient air in the system, i.e. humidity. I ride intermittently, and having to drain the tank, and run the carb dry is a nuisance. Most older carbs are either aluminum or zinc (pot metal), not coated and will erode, depositing crud on any brass parts in contact with the with the ethanol tainted gas.

Another source of alcohol free gasoline is airports. Av gas does not contain ethanol, from what I have been told ethanol is forbidden in any av gas. Most of the marinas around here sell E10.

I needed some gas that was ethanol free for long term storage for my generator, treated Av gas in a sealed steel container will last for ages without the lighter aromatics evaporating off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with Rocky, I have been adding a few drops of STARTON to every tank and have not had any problems.

Moose

1 - 20 of 26 Posts