Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I feel like I am being profiled.

·
Registered
816 Posts
105000 a year in mortgage. hope you dont wanna eat or have a car. For that matter work on that house. I like how it doesnt ever say the total price on the page, just the monthly reaming. I cant unterstand why folks pay that much to live where there are too many other people and congestion everywhere. I was in palo alto a couple years ago for a wedding and I hope to never go back. At this wedding I talked to the fella sitting next to me whom was local. He had some crazy high zoot job working crazy hours so he could barely afford his housing and transportation. I told him about what I do at what our cost of living is here not to mention I take off 8 weeks a year and it was like he had no idea you didnt have to live that way. Im not saying yakima is all that, but atleast find some middle ground.

If you are looking for a place to rent stay out of Palo Alto, Calif.

55'X110' lot size at the most. About a mile or a mile and a half from Stanford University.

Elegant Home in Desirable North Palo Alto... - Midtown Realty - Palo Alto Real Estate

·
Registered
637 Posts
How much is a social security retirement check per month?

The Colorado Springs median rent gets you into about a 1 bedroom apt, maybe in a non-terrifying neighborhood; you will still have to pay utilities. Vehicle registration in Colorado is insane because our lovely Democrap gov Ritter from a few years ago tacked on this bridge fee to EVERY vehicle you register. We just got a 2016 Honda Odyssey and if I didn't have disabled vet plates (all fees waived for registration), it would have cost us around $525 dollars. Colorado Springs proper tax rates are about 8.25% -- also lucked out since we live outside city limits, so it knocked it down to 5.3% tax on the vehicle.

Anything in Denver metro area (Denver, Littleton, etc.), automatically tack on another $1k per month of rent, more taxes, less quality of life, etc.

A $1200 mortgage per the article puts you in Fountain, Security, or someplace like that; if the Springs, the house will be in a crappy neighborhood. The house will be small with maybe a 1 car garage from the 1960's (small), regardless of neighborhood.

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$1300 is the average SS check and it's not enough to make it in most of these areas unfortunately.

How much is a social security retirement check per month?

The Colorado Springs median rent gets you into about a 1 bedroom apt, maybe in a non-terrifying neighborhood; you will still have to pay utilities. Vehicle registration in Colorado is insane because our lovely Democrap gov Ritter from a few years ago tacked on this bridge fee to EVERY vehicle you register. We just got a 2016 Honda Odyssey and if I didn't have disabled vet plates (all fees waived for registration), it would have cost us around $525 dollars. Colorado Springs proper tax rates are about 8.25% -- also lucked out since we live outside city limits, so it knocked it down to 5.3% tax on the vehicle.

Anything in Denver metro area (Denver, Littleton, etc.), automatically tack on another $1k per month of rent, more taxes, less quality of life, etc.

A $1200 mortgage per the article puts you in Fountain, Security, or someplace like that; if the Springs, the house will be in a crappy neighborhood. The house will be small with maybe a 1 car garage from the 1960's (small), regardless of neighborhood.

·
Registered
637 Posts
$1300 is the average SS check and it's not enough to make it in most of these areas unfortunately.
That's because SS is a Ponzi scheme scam :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Pittsburgh Huh?
Trouble is,
Bad public transportation and UPMC is actually not a friendly place and the hills are hard on the elderly,
BUT Yes you can get into a house for pretty cheap, Pay $2000+ in taxes in the cheaper areas and I guess you could etch out a life in the area,
I live in Philadelphia and in Pittsburgh and I will tell you daily living costs are pretty much the same,

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's because SS is a Ponzi scheme scam :)
Is it possible to opt out? I'm responsible enough to save that money on my own and retire a few years earlier with it. I don't want my money going toward $100 hammers (the admiral might see things otherwise though, I know he has a thing for them)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is it possible to opt out? I'm responsible enough to save that money on my own and retire a few years earlier with it. I don't want my money going toward $100 hammers (the admiral might see things otherwise though, I know he has a thing for them)
Opt out? LOL. No way. They've got us by the short hairs on that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just looked it up and you can claim a certain religious status to be exempt from paying social security. Of course you wouldn't get anything back and that is fine with me. I prefer positive returns on investment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts