TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I care a whole lot, just kinda fun to see the number. Less than 300 miles on the new bike, speeds less than 40-45, premium gas (because that's what I had in the jerry can for RV towing). Ran 81 miles then filled at the pump (this time with regular) and it held approx .81 gallons. Pilot screw 2 turns out, otherwise all stock jets/settings.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Riding on dirt/mud roads and paved country lanes, 35-40 mph- my last two "fill ups". 0.8 gal for 65 miles & 0.5 gal for 42 miles. Approx 82 mpg, with middle grade fuel. My perception is it runs better with middle grade, compared to regular and premium offers no benefit over middle. Have not tried an alcohol free gas, yet.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
..... Have not tried an alcohol free gas, yet.
That will increase your mileage slightly since it has more BTU's per gallon than E10. Maybe around 5%, but this can be masked by many other factors. The real reason to use Non Ethanol gas is that it eliminates the problem of gummed up carbs and tanks and water corrosion from sitting too long, say over three months. Up at higher altitudes the effect is more obvious, so I use it whenever I can get it for riding between 5,000 and 10,000 feet. BTW, 82 mpg is excellent, not many of us get that high. Hard to go 40 on a 65 mph highway! :)

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
On every TW I have owned I can set the trip meter to zero at every fill up and right around 80 miles I expect to flip to reserve. I think if I was on a very mild run of mostly flat and steady under 40 MPH I could stretch it out some but with the stop and go I do and the hills and mountain trails I hit I am very happy with 100 miles per tank full.

GaryL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Max Speed

When I ride at max speed I am only getting 40 miles per tank on a 2014... What is the regular/average speed of anyone getting 70+ miles per tank?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Bro, I don't know what is wrong with your bike, but I have a hard time believing you only get 40 miles a tankful no matter what speed you are traveling at... Somethings not right in my opinion. I've never heard of such bad mileage on a TW on this forum.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
When I ride at max speed I am only getting 40 miles per tank on a 2014... What is the regular/average speed of anyone getting 70+ miles per tank?
If that is the case then you have a gas leak somewhere!!! Check your oil if you cannot find an external leak. I honestly don't think it is possible to only get 40 miles out of 1.8 gallons on a TW.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
My 87 is jetted to the max and I used to get 50+ miles a gallon with 14/50 sprocket combo. I also am big enough myself that you might as well figure that my bike is getting ridden with an invisible passenger on board. So that was not surprising to me. I recently changed my front sprocket to a 15 tooth and haven't figured out what my mileage is now, but I expect a little better than what I was getting. I did get about 70 mpg when I first got the bike and before any changes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I rode about 180mi on mostly flat interstate. I rode from Independence, MO to Joplin, MO.. I tried to keep it at 60mph. Trying to keep a steady hand, it ended up being 55-60mph.. I ended up getting 70mpg one tank and 72mpg on second tank. Had a Jimbo shield and luggage rack. Found out later the ratio was 14T-47T. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I am getting around 50 mpg. 2010 47t 210# running mostly topend.
My commute is 50 miles round trip on back country roads. Nothing less than 45mph.
The topend takes the fuel mileage WAY down. I took it on a hundred-mile trip...business...I'd planned secondary roads but I didn't plan the lead-foot traffic. Even wide open, 55, wasn't fast enough for those cowboys. But my mileage dropped to near FORTY.

And since this was out in the country and there wasn't abundance of ethanol-free gas (or any gas) I had my moments of grief. Never again, I swore...the workable top cruising speed of a TW is about 45; subject to change with sprocket changes and bore kits.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
When you say you ride at Max Speed are you talking about a steady 65-70 MPH on these rides? If so and you are only 40 miles on a full tank then you better look at your spark plug, it is probably as black as the ace of spades and your bike is running way too rich. I would bet the outlet of your exhaust pipe is dripping black gunk. As mentioned by Dryden you might also want to check your oil for the smell of gas. All of my TWs fell right in to what I consider the average fuel mileage which in my case is right around 100 miles on a full tank. Pushing a TW at 65-70 on a steady run is not a good plan but do as you may. You definitely have something amiss so be prepared.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
100 miles per 1.8 gallons would correspond to a somewhat poor 55.5 mpg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts