TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new motorcycle carrier for sale: $200. It has a 1000lbs capacity if used with a two-inch Class III hitch. It includes a ramp. I assembled it but never have used it. If you live close to Sacramento, CA and are interested then let me know. I will not ship it but would be willing to drive a bit to deliver it (not more than 75 miles). Selling it because it is more than I need for my TW.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If your SUV is rear wheel drive and you hang a 1,000 pound Harley off the back on that rack I bet your SUV could do wheelies!

I don't like misleading advertisements like this. I think most factory rear trailer hitches are rated for up to a 300 pound tongue weight and I would not go much over that unless you specifically go to a much stronger rear hitch set up like what I had on my F-250 Super Duty Diesel that was rated for 10,000 pound towing capacity. The hitch itself was much beefier all around and had additional mounting to frame points and I want to say it was a class 5 hitch but don't honestly remember the actual number. A TW with a full tank is right around the 300 pound max weight of most standard rear hitches.

GaryL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GaryL, the carrier weighs a lot, the main support that plugs in to the vehicle receiver is heavy steel. It seems like it can take 1000lbs of weight. And there are hitches and vehicles that can handle that much weight. So that's not the misleading part. What's misleading is that the rail and ramp couldn't handle a 1000lbs motorcycle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was concerned about the rail width too, but my TW went up the ramp and settled in to the rail channel without much issue. It seemed pretty secure once I put the ratchet straps on.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
There really is no problem with tire width being greater than rail width if one is careful rolling bike on and off. Once on the carrier securing straps take care of securing, guide rails are for guiding and are not mandatory for holding bike onto haul vehicle. Besides, as Rockit states the tire sort of settles into the rail channel to a certain degree anyways. My Duro dwarfed my hitch carrier but never caused me any grief.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
GaryL, the carrier weighs a lot, the main support that plugs in to the vehicle receiver is heavy steel. It seems like it can take 1000lbs of weight. And there are hitches and vehicles that can handle that much weight. So that's not the misleading part. What's misleading is that the rail and ramp couldn't handle a 1000lbs motorcycle.
I have a number of receivers here that plug into the hitches on my vehicles. A Class 3 receiver has stamped right on it Max Tongue weight 300 pounds. I also have Class 4 and 5 receivers stamped 600 and 2000 pounds respectively. I am not arguing anything other than the misleading 1,000 pound rating by adding up the numbers. If the steel of the receiver is in fact thick and the welds are braced then I have no issues.

My point goes more toward some of the failures I have had or been witness to. The 1 7/8 inch ball attached to a receiver that has just a 1/2 inch bolt is good for a few hundred pounds while going to a larger 2 inch ball with a 3/4 or 7/8 inch bolt is far better. I was right behind a truck pulling a good size boat on the NY Thruway when his ball sheared off and the safety chains failed. Also been behind poorly loaded trailers that were wagging the dog all the way and we have all seen them. Knowing your equipment is right and up to the task while trailering or carrying weight behind you is my only point. 21 foot fiberglass boats explode really cool when they flip doing 70 MPH by themselves and unhooked from the vehicle.

GaryL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you, GaryL. People do need to match the load limits and carrying capacities for the entire towing system (vehicle, receiver, hitch, ball, break away chains, and carrier/trailer). This system is a chain that is only as strong as its weakest link.

A few years ago I helped a family member move. He rented a duel axle covered uhaul trailer. It wagged my whole vehicle at 55mph so I drove 10 mph slower. Made for a long trip but had to be done. I did pull over and look for issues and there was nothing that I could see. Thought it might be the way we loaded the trailer but I was good with putting the center mass of the load just in front of the axles. Turns out one of the tires was flat but u couldn't tell easily with a duel axle. The trick to quickly check is to hit the tires with a billy club and listen for one that clunks instead of pings.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I do like the design with the cargo rack next to the vehicle. The problem with my HF is that I can't open my truck cap once my TW is loaded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts