TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, oh why does it seem like everytime I go to the tool box, the 10mm socket is missing? It's like the odd sock of the tool box -- like socks it will just inexplicably disappear. (I can no longer blame this on the kid, he's been out of the house for a decade now.)

·
Registered
184 Posts
might have something to do with it being the first size to be used to removeseats, plastics,shields.etc. so its the first tool to be laid down .in 37yrs. of working on import cars and jap bikes its the most used size in my tool box so its goten lost or broken or worn out more than any other size .the trick is to buy 3or4 of this size ,so when you loose one and grab another the lost one will show up.lol

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Good to hear that you guys share my issue. I have three sockets and two wrenches and it is hard to find one pretty much every time. I bought an extra socket and put it in my glove box and it has saved my ass a few times. I believe mice use 10 mm bolts to build their homes in the garage walls. When they lose one, they just grab another from the toolbox.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...the trick is to buy 3or4 of this size ,so when you loose one and grab another the lost one will show up.lol
How true is that. I go to the hardware store to buy a toilet plunger because we can't find ours and the very next day -- we find ours. I still don't know how I lost a toilet plunger of all things.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Hi. My name is Qwerty. I'm a 10mm socket loser. 10mm wrenches, too. Mine have my name etched on them. Please send them home if you find one.

Reactions: Dubzha

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you find my 10mm, please let me know if you find 72 1-off socks missing their other matching sock too.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I even went to Sears and bought 6 extra 10mm sockets and put them in my tool boxes..
If I do something like this, not only will I never ever lose another 10mm socket, all the ones I have previously lost will be found.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
Not a socket, but just the other day my father-in-law found one of my 10mm wrenchs in the driveway that I musta left on the TW somewhere. ...and my name wasn't even etched on it and he knew whose wrench it was:p

·
Registered
816 Posts
this is too funny and a common problem. Easy to fix though. Call your local snap on truck and get a set of sockets and a set of wrenches. while your at it make sure you have a good box that has spots for everything. Every time your done working you'll make sure you put it back so you don't have to spend another 30 bucks. sounds ridiculous, but I swear that it works. You wouldnt loose one of these would you?

Set, General Service, Metric, 6-Point (22 tools in plastic box)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If I do something like this, not only will I never ever lose another 10mm socket, all the ones I have previously lost will be found.
For some reason I wouldn't have a problem with that outcome.

this is too funny and a common problem. Easy to fix though. Call your local snap on truck and get a set of sockets and a set of wrenches. while your at it make sure you have a good box that has spots for everything. Every time your done working you'll make sure you put it back so you don't have to spend another 30 bucks. sounds ridiculous, but I swear that it works. You wouldnt loose one of these would you?

Set, General Service, Metric, 6-Point (22 tools in plastic box)
Yes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I used to have a 73-piece Craftsman set, I now have a 72-piece Craftsman + 1 pot metal Chinese 10mm socket set!

I had no idea this was a thing, but I'm glad I'm not alone!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think I have most of the lost 10MM sockets! I love yard and garage sales and can't seem to go past them. When I see tools at them I always search for a few things and this includes sockets in the popular sizes.
My tool box is filled with mix and match sockets in every size and even though I have plenty I still grab a handful of loose sockets every time I hit these sales. I also buy just about any tools labeled Craftsman, Snap On and Mac because they have lifetime replacement if they break. Just this fall I paid a dollar for a real nice Snap on 3/8 drive swivel head 8 inch ratchet that had stripped gears. I saw the Snap on truck at a garage and showed him the ratchet. He installed brand new gears free. If I don't have over 20, 10MM sockets I would be very surprised!

I do have a similar but different problem though. I can't tell you how many times while working on a project I lost the wrench I was just using. I look all over, in, under, around, move stuff and go nuts trying to find it until I am just about POed. Then I check my back pocket:confused:

GaryL

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ Ha! I usually find the tool I just drive myself crazy looking for in my off hand. How dumb is that?

·
Registered
79 Posts
After a day or two, I usually just check my 'special' drawer in the laundry room that my wife has for me. Sure enough my 10mm sockets and wrenches have met some friends like bolts, washers, wire nuts and zip ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I think I have most of the lost 10MM sockets! I love yard and garage sales and can't seem to go past them. When I see tools at them I always search for a few things and this includes sockets in the popular sizes.
My tool box is filled with mix and match sockets in every size and even though I have plenty I still grab a handful of loose sockets every time I hit these sales. I also buy just about any tools labeled Craftsman, Snap On and Mac because they have lifetime replacement if they break. Just this fall I paid a dollar for a real nice Snap on 3/8 drive swivel head 8 inch ratchet that had stripped gears. I saw the Snap on truck at a garage and showed him the ratchet. He installed brand new gears free. If I don't have over 20, 10MM sockets I would be very surprised!

I do have a similar but different problem though. I can't tell you how many times while working on a project I lost the wrench I was just using. I look all over, in, under, around, move stuff and go nuts trying to find it until I am just about POed. Then I check my back pocket:confused:

GaryL
Are we twins? I've made a special effort to organize everything. One toolbox on each side of the lift, both identically loaded with identical tools. Use a tool, put it back. Over the years I've learned to put a tool away, open another drawer, fetch the next tool on the first try, and not even have to look. My son videoed me doing some work and the tech school he went to uses the video to emphasize the importance of NEVER laying a tool down where it doesn't belong. After years of disciplined practice I don't search for tools anymore. And nobody, but nobody, touches my tools for any reason. I will hack your hands off with a dull machete. If you step on or across the yellow line outlining my personal bay, I'll hack of your feet. I have a third toolbox full of yard sale rescues everyone else is welcome to use. We often have guests in the shop, because who else's pop has a tire changer, balancer, 4-wheel laser alignment, and an auto lift in his garage, so the very strict rules are necessary.

·
Registered
250 Posts
C'mon guys, it's not that hard to put stuff up after using it....and this is coming from a 24 year old! Everything gets put up in its place when I'm done working for the day, even if I'm coming out first thing the next day to finish up. Every tool has a specific spot in one of my chests, I can open any drawer and tell you if something's missing right away. Keeps my 10mm wrenches and sockets from walking away and keeps money in my pocket for the fun stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts