TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corn Creek Springs, Alamo Road on Desert Wild Life Refuge, Cold Creek Road and Lee Canyon ride:

The TW is now one month old, 496 miles on the clock (114 today) and behaves fully broken-in, but I will continue to not hold WOT for another 200-300 more miles.

Today’s observations:

1. Up a 6% grade, even at ~5,000 feet, it will pull 50-55 (trying to not yet sustain WOT) MPH in 5th gear.

2. Up an 8% grade, at over 5,000 feet, it will only pull 45 MPH in 5th gear at ~90% throttle.

3. On the level, or even up a mild grade, at 3,000 to 4,000 feet, it will pull 65 MPH with some throttle left.

4. With a slight down grade, I saw 77 MPH on the speedo a few times, sitting up straight. If speedo is optimistic by 6%, that would be 73 MPH, true. Did not hold WOT more than a few seconds, each time. On Highway 95, returning to Las Vegas, a steady cruise at 65 MPH was comfortable (excluding seat).

5. A 70+, no issue with tire handling (21 PSI front & 24 PSI rear) on asphalt.

6. Do not plan at cruising over 65 MPH. Mirror clearness starts to diminish at 57 MPH.

7. Working it, I cannot count on more than 62 MPG. Even with adding 32 ounces of TruFuel, it went to reserve at 95 miles on the trip odometer. Fill-up at 107 miles was 1.5 gallon, plus 0.25 gallon TruFuel = 1.75 gallon. Without the spare can (1 of 2), fill-up would have been with only 0.05 gallon left in the tank.

8. Oil change was 200 miles ago, but oil level is the same, even after the high speed bursts. Oil color is only slightly darkened from today’s ride.

9. Planning on going back to Red Rock, next Tuesday and expect probably 75 MPG+ on that ride.

Got home and found a package from China: Handlebar clock and thermometer arrived. $18.13 for both, with free shipping. If they hold up for a year, I’ll be satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KM47O84/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would have liked to had the thermometer today. Guessing 35-40 F at 5,000+ feet on Cold Creek Road. Got flip phone photos of bike in the snow, but quality is poor and amount of snow is only a few inches.

One photo is full turn to show tank clearance. The other is what I see sitting on the seat.

clock & thermometer full turn.JPG clock and thermometer, sitting on seat.JPG

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Sounds like you are having some great fun.
Forget about the mirrors, 70 on mine would shake my teeth out. Of course at my age that may happen soon anyway.

·
Super Moderator
18,166 Posts
Gas mileage should get better as it gets broken in. Mine took about 2500 miles for optimum mileage.

Reactions: Tweaker and mudbug

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got almost 80 MPG, the first full tank, on a run around Red Rock Canyon, but I was riding slower for the break-in.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Very nice experiences and observations after just one month. I really like the matching clock and thermometer.
A cell phone's GPS based speed app, or stand alone GPS, might give a more accurate speed indication. This can then be used to calibrate your speedometer.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you are having some great fun.
Forget about the mirrors, 70 on mine would shake my teeth out. Of course at my age that may happen soon anyway.
70 in a couple of weeks, but only one cavity (age 40), so I would not want them to fall out!
Tires: It was relatively smooth on the highway.
Mirrors: Very clear up to 57 then usable 60-65...not so usable higher than that.
However, on Alamo Road, north of Corn Creek Springs, the washboard was making my eyes bounce!

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice experiences and observations after just one month. I really like the matching clock and thermometer.
A cell phone's GPS based speed app, or stand alone GPS, might give a more accurate speed indication. This can then be used to calibrate your speedometer.
I could use my Tom-Tom, on battery, if the suction cup sticks to the tank. Did it once on the Bonneville, with suction on the fuel cap.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any pics from the ride? I love TW pics.
Taken with my ancient flip phone (intended to put a .357 hole in it when I fully retire, but it was useful today).
I did not include in the first post, since the photos are such poor quality.

28 Jan 2017 Alamo Road north of Corn Creek Springs.jpg 28 Jan 2017 Cold Creek Road at Mud Springs turn off.jpg 28 Jan 2017 Mud Spring forest road.jpg 28 Jan 2017 snow.jpg 28 Jan 2017 Spring Mountains.jpg

·
Registered
968 Posts
65 degrees (on thermo)... I'll take it! Good info = thanks. Just go back from Quartzsite - it was pretty cold there - below freezing at night and highs in the 50s - good riding weather tho. Some incredibly windy nights.
I like the gauges and can't beat the price.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
65 degrees (on thermo)... I'll take it! Good info = thanks. Just go back from Quartzsite - it was pretty cold there - below freezing at night and highs in the 50s - good riding weather tho. Some incredibly windy nights...
Yep, many folks think of the desert as hot, rather than a region of extremes.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Today’s observations: etc.
To me, operating at 5,000 most of the time except for winter trips to DV or AZ, your numbers sound right on the money. At 65 WOT near Phoenix I was a bit surprised to go to reserve at 60 miles because in DV I had gotten to 90 miles. BIG difference between cruising at 65 vs 40! I probably also had the tires at 14/16 because I was riding to the dirt. Best I've ever seen to reserve was 105 miles using 15 to 40 mph.

It will improve some on out to 3,000 miles. I generally plan about 70 mpg and carry one or two MSR fuel bottles in the tail bag if the ride will be more than 110 miles. Two will get me to 160 miles dry tank.....not that I would ever plan to ride to dry! :eek:

If I were you, I would check and clean the oil filter now, there is probably some debris in there again.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out of curiosity I took extra fuel along and ran my tank completely dry. I wanted to determine what I could reasonably squeeze out of a tank of fuel, all in (er, out) in a pinch. With 15-47 gearing, stock tires pumped hard, riding solo with only a 1 imperial gal fuel jug as baggage, and at highway speed 55 - 65 mph my reserve ran dry at 168 miles. I used 87 octane gas and had filled to the tank's brim at start and finish. Riding style on all pavement was normal, the day was very hot, and I didn't deliberately try to extend mileage by babying acceleration etc.

To calculate mileage, since I had to add a bit of fuel to get to a gas station after I ran out, I assume 7 litres including fumes consumed, and converted back to imperial gallons at 4.55 l per imperial gallon.

Therefore 168 mi / 1.53798 = 109 mpg. Metric conversion is 2.59 l / 100 km. Seems high but corresponds reasonably with my other test calculations. Am I doing something wrong, or do other riders get similar results?

Paddy

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I've come close to that at 105 miles to reserve once. I figure that would have equaled 140-150 miles to dry. However, I have 13/50 gearing and that ride was mostly done at 35 to 40 mph up and down 3,000 foot passes. My guess is that your numbers are correct, reflecting your gearing and tire pressures, as well as the likely lack of wind and hills.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've come close to that at 105 miles to reserve once. I figure that would have equaled 140-150 miles to dry. However, I have 13/50 gearing and that ride was mostly done at 35 to 40 mph up and down 3,000 foot passes. My guess is that your numbers are correct, reflecting your gearing and tire pressures, as well as the likely lack of wind and hills.
Some (minimal) wind, a few hills. With my gearing I don't mind the inevitable downshifting and you can go like stink on the non windy flat, not to mention down hill too.

Paddy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts