TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to have a more visible brake light for safety. The ProCycle tail light bulb supposedly only uses 1 volt and is three times as expensive with shipping. Would the above bulb use the same amount of energy? $13including shipping. I looked at the specs but I know nothing about automotive electrical. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I’d like to have a more visible brake light for safety. The ProCycle tail light bulb supposedly only uses 1 volt and is three times as expensive with shipping. Would the above bulb use the same amount of energy? $13including shipping. I looked at the specs but I know nothing about automotive electrical. Thank you for your help.
1 volt or 1 amp or 1 watt for stop?
1157 incandescent uses 2.2 amps for stop.
For household use, a 60 watt equivelent CFL is 13 watts and a LED ~8 watts...for a rule of thumb, the same illumination of an LED is roughly 1/8 of the current draw of an incandescent.

Do you have a link for "the above bulb"?

For a visibility comparison, check candlepower or lumen output.

1157 low filament for tail and license is 8.26 watts, 38 lumens, 3 candlepower

The high filament is 26.8 watts, 402 lumens, 32 candlepower.

Check this web https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/tail-brake-turn/1157/

I got the TW flasher for LEDs from them and many other items.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
If you can't find the lumen output at least go for the largest chip set. For example it took me about 15 seconds to readily find a 54 SMD with projector lens vs. the 27 SMD originally mentioned.[Sponsored]ENDPAGE 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D LED Bulb 2-pack, Amber Yellow, Extremely Bright, 54-SMD with Projector Lens, 10-30V, Work as Turn Signal Blinker Lights.
Not saying to buy these but pointing out that superbright and precycle have very limited offerings compared to the vast options one can find with just a bit of research, often superior newer designs at significantly better prices too.
However most any of the LEDs will seem appreciably brighter than the OEM incandescent 1157 bulbs. I suggest getting LED replacements for all your bikes bulbs as well as all your other vehicles bulbs.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Also best to use white, rather than red:
1. They are usually brighter
2. White will properly illuminate the lucense plate

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 volt or 1 amp or 1 watt for stop?
1157 incandescent uses 2.2 amps for stop.
For household use, a 60 watt equivelent CFL is 13 watts and a LED ~8 watts...for a rule of thumb, the same illumination of an LED is roughly 1/8 of the current draw of an incandescent.

Do you have a link for "the above bulb"?

For a visibility comparison, check candlepower or lumen output.

1157 low filament for tail and license is 8.26 watts, 38 lumens, 3 candlepower

The high filament is 26.8 watts, 402 lumens, 32 candlepower.

Check this web https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/tail-brake-turn/1157/

I got the TW flasher for LEDs from them and many other items.

Thank you, the link is the same one you sent me.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Also best to use white, rather than red:
1. They are usually brighter
2. White will properly illuminate the lucense plate
It will also make your taillight pink and washed out. From a distance it looks virtually white.

Several companies make LED 1157's with a built in strobe effect. I have one by "Alla Lighting" in my Valkyrie. I think a 2 pack was $20 on fleabay. Red LEDs and easily twice the brightness of the original bulb. Plus when you first apply the brake it strobes 3 or 4 times before lighting steady. Very attention grabbing.

Take claimed lumens with a grain of salt. They're often hugely exaggerated, and have little relevance to perceived brightness. The lower the quality, the more BS the claims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts