TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my HID headlight kit from "Aliexpress" today, $13.00 shipped to the door! Installed in about an hour with cocktail breaks but the light output is far greater than the factory light and retains high and low beam settings. I did have to aim the headlight way down to achieve the proper beam spread but it looks good so far! Here's the link if anyone is interested...

Free shipping Good Germany quality Motor/Motorcycle Bike Hid Lights Kit H6 Hi/Low Xenon Bulbs Headlamp 2600lm 12V 35W 6000K AAA-in Headlights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Took about a month to get here but I guess that's why it's cheap!

Cheers!
Ryan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no electrician either, you just cut the stock headlight plug off (leave room on the old head light plug wire for re-attachment if neccessary) and crimp or solder three wires. Black is ground, White is high beam and Blue is low beam if you can't read Chinese :p

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wow that is very cheap. Does not seem possible with shipping. I wonder how it will last?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edit!!!

I didn't have to re-aim the light, I just missed the bottom mounting tab on re-installing the headlight last night nearing the end of my project in a dimly lit garage 3 cocktails deep! Took it to work today throws good light on HI and LOW just questioning the longevity of the ballast and bulb but hell for $13.00 I'll be the guinee pig!

Reactions: retmotor

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice! Let us know how it works out. Where did you put the ballast at? Shoot - for $13 I may not wait for the long term report :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my experience, the bulbs are usually fine quality (thought different temperatures on car kits, one headlight doesn't matter), the cost savings is in the ballast. I have a website that has been reviewed very high and is VERY cheap for getting new ballasts if yours ever quits. I will try to to find it and post it up! Let's see some pics from behind the dash!! On a road if possible :)

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Happy Hiker I mounted the ballast on the back of my opaque black Jimbo shield with 3M 2-sided tape, its about the same size as the indicator light box and flat black in color so it blends in well, Kdick here are some pics I took from my driveway, it drops off across the road so some light is lost but you can get the hint!

Low Beam

High Beam

And my work in progress, $20.00 Led Tail Lamp

Cheers
Ryan

Reactions: 66roadkill66

·
Registered
312 Posts
hey thanks for the post I'm gonna get one for myself cause I rode my 87 last night and the stock light was not so good, so what the heck for 13 bucks!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Wonder how that worked out for him on that 87...

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Good question, did the $13 dollar H4 survive in a '87.
This light purchased in 2013 might flicker under alternating current or simply blow its diode when fed current of opposite polarity.
Most modern LED lamps in 120 v AC applications use a bridge rectifier which immediately turns the AC into DC, which the power converter then turns into the current supply that the LEDs use. So yes, they will run on DC of the proper voltage (not 12 volts). Some lamps use a capacitor ballast instead of a converter circuit for what we see in our homes.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I saw some while i was driver shopping that were run on 12v with no transformers. But it couldn't handle fluctuating voltages. Had to remain constant 12 volt. They were kinda neat but the output wasn't worth experimenting with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts