TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm busy working up to blowing up my second Duro Powergrip I ordered a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. Does anyone else have one of these or is it even a good idea?
My bike already came with a 54 tooth rear sprocket so I can't see spending money on a 55 tooth. Will it be ok with a 13 and a 54?

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
While I'm busy working up to blowing up my second Duro Powergrip I ordered a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. Does anyone else have one of these or is it even a good idea?
My bike already came with a 54 tooth rear sprocket so I can't see spending money on a 55 tooth. Will it be ok with a 13 and a 54?
should be able to pull up tree roots with that tire and gearing!;)

Tom

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
ShaggyAnt, that is the set-up I have with my Duro, 13 in front, 55 in the rear. Due to Duro's significantly larger diameter this is not really ridiculously under geared. As Tom hints, it does give the Power to Grip darn near everything. I max out at about 63 mph but it is much happier at 55 or less. I consider the gearing correct for the intended use...trail riding in challenging terrain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ShaggyAnt, that is the set-up I have with my Duro, 13 in front, 55 in the rear. Due to Duro's significantly larger diameter this is not really ridiculously under geared. As Tom hints, it does give the Power to Grip darn near everything. I max out at about 63 mph but it is much happier at 55 or less. I consider the gearing correct for the intended use...trail riding in challenging terrain.
I'm not really too interested in top speed. I wouldn't have bought a TW200 if I was :). If I can hold 45 mph I will be fine with that. My biggest concern is climbing the steep terrain we have around here. I like to ride the fire roads but single track and hill climbs are really where it's at for me.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
You should be happy with the 13/55 combo then; enough torque in second gear to take advantage of the traction afforded by the ATV tire yet with a low first gear to fall back on for the truly nasties. Where do you hail from Shaggyant? Last Duro fan I met rode primarily in muddy conditions with much taller gearing but I prefer your intended set-up despite the reduced service life of the tiny 13 tooth front sprocket.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been running 13 tooth s since mid 90's on 2 of the 3 TW's I've had. On my 99 13/54 with Bighorn 35 sounds happy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be happy with the 13/55 combo then; enough torque in second gear to take advantage of the traction afforded by the ATV tire yet with a low first gear to fall back on for the truly nasties. Where do you hail from Shaggyant? Last Duro fan I met rode primarily in muddy conditions with much taller gearing but I prefer your intended set-up despite the reduced service life of the tiny 13 tooth front sprocket.
I updated my location. Ever heard of the Ruby Ridge standoff from back in 1992? I'm just an bit south of there in North Idaho.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Well, you certainly live in Duro country then.:p
Hope that rascal pops on soon so you can enjoy it and the fun that comes with 13/55 in steep terrain. Must be getting prime riding conditions with trails melting out and winter deadfalls to be negotiated. Once upon a time I worked and rode a bit NW of Upper Priest Lake in the mtns. where the Air Force ran one of it's Escape and Evasion survival courses. ( now called SERE, Survival Evasion, Resistance and Escape). Nice country.
Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
SERE is over at Fairchild still. A guy I know teaches some of the classes. Were you ever out at the research center on Ponderay in Bayview? Know a couple of guys up there too.

Edit: Woo Hooo!!!!!! I just let the air out, re-lubed with KY and 90% isopropyl alcohol. Then I put the chuck back on and sent her up to 95psi and she popped right on like it was nothing. Awesome!!!!! I'm going to try and get ahold of the other guys who left three hours ago :( and get up on that mountian to try this beast out.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I once briefly made mention of SERE school in a post and Fred picked up on it...I now know why, it was among the places he use to romp around in. Run by the 336 TRG. Got a bit of press recently when the Senate released their torture report. Two of the CIA contractors who developed some of the torture techniques were SERE psycologists back in the '80's at Fairchild AFB.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
One summer I ran a mining claim staking project that overlaid the school's area of operations for a basic survival course. ( If they also ran evasion course too then they certainly managed to evade me.;)) Those snake-eating instructors really gave the hard working air crews some serious and potentially valuable training. Came across a group once in driving rain butchering a steer with the crudest of implements, later came across meat drying racks; I think they ate everything cold and raw. Grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
What is this SERE school of which you speak???? TELL ME NOW!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
312 Posts
Fred is great rider. I personally would put a 60 on the rear with the larger ATV tire. I prefer sitting on a powered seat when the going gets extreme....I ran a 14/70 in Moab which is my Hunting bike but I love the gears for high elevation 9,500'+ technical mountain single track.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fred is great rider. I personally would put a 60 on the rear with the larger ATV tire. I prefer sitting on a powered seat when the going gets extreme....I ran a 14/70 in Moab which is my Hunting bike but I love the gears for high elevation 9,500'+ technical mountain single track.
I thought about a 60 on the rear but it's more $ and I'm not too sure about that big sprocket hanging out there and being made of aluminum. Why are all the big ones aluminum anyway?

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get a test spin on Bodi's 14/70 set-up on a rocky section. It sure was a torque multiplier with the stock tire but Bodi said it unfortunately topped out around 35mph. I think I also rode one of TW-Brian's bikes with the same sprockets driving a larger diameter Duro tire last summer, which would be roughly comparable to running 13/65 tooth sprockets. Both were the proverbial stump-pullers, perhaps excessively so for the average riding terrain. However a sixty tooth rear might be perfect for a northern Idaho trail bike. Those big sprockets do tend to find the edges of ruts at times. To reduce damage I made a larger chain guard from cutting board material and it frequently gets pushed into the chain without adverse effects so far. I have yet to bend a sprocket, the foot pegs tend to receive the major impacts.

Gee Tom, I don't think those SERE graduates are superior to you or I, they just have been trained up to a greater degree. Shucks, they would probably hold you in reverence for your combat jump experience.. Those crewdogs like to stay in their air-chines as long as possible, no getting out until the trays are stowed in the full and up-right position.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get a test spin on Bodi's 14/70 set-up on a rocky section. It sure was a torque multiplier with the stock tire but Bodi said it unfortunately topped out around 35mph. I think I also rode one of TW-Brian's bikes with the same sprockets driving a larger diameter Duro tire last summer, which would be roughly comparable to running 13/65 tooth sprockets. Both were the proverbial stump-pullers, perhaps excessively so for the average riding terrain. However a sixty tooth rear might be perfect for a northern Idaho trail bike. Those big sprockets do tend to find the edges of ruts at times. To reduce damage I made a larger chain guard from cutting board material and it frequently gets pushed into the chain without adverse effects so far. I have yet to bend a sprocket, the foot pegs tend to receive the major impacts.

Gee Tom, I don't think those SERE graduates are superior to you or I, they just have been trained up to a greater degree. Shucks, they would probably hold you in reverence for your combat jump experience.. Those crewdogs like to stay in their air-chines as long as possible, no getting out until the trays are stowed in the full and up-right position.
Yeah Fred it is also taught at Camp Mackall near Ft Bragg. The Air force version is probably much tougher than the special forces qualification course version. It is commonly referred to as paid hazing in the Army;)

Tom

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The Saturday before Easter I spent 5 hours on my bike (13/55) riding from 500' to about 5200 with a stock rear. I always carry extra gear so likely just the bike/gear weighs over 300 lb's. Off pavement, I like it. Most 'general' dirt is done with 3ed/4th. 2ed gear starts on pavement. Will be going to 13/50 as with the 13/55 I am at 7,000rpm doing 42mph on pavement. I don't like pavement, but that is a bit to limiting. Gerry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts