TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some input from people who run a 15 tooth front and 50 tooth rear sprocket set up. I rarely ride off road, I'm a dirt road explorer that has to use two lane blacktop on occasion. How much lower end grunt is lost by going to a 15 tooth front? will it do 55mph comfortably? I'm not looking for a big change, just a little on the pavement. I live in the Arkansas hills, some of them are pretty steep.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put a 15/50 on mine. Cruises comfortably at 55 and you really dont lose any significant amount of low end grunt. 1st gear is still pretty low.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's, I've had a 15 tooth sprocket on my shelf for two years, still trying to decide if I want to put it on. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Do it you will like it especially if your not doing serious hill climbing. I run a 15/50 and like it. I ran a 15/47 on my last trip which was all pavement and a little bit of dirt roading and it was fine even at 5,000-6,000'. I could tell a difference off road with that gearing but i still got around just fine. To me a 15/50 at 55mph feels like the stock gearing around 50mph. Im guessing 4-5mph difference at the same rpm. Im sure there is a chart somewhere were you can figure all that out.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I have looked at the chart, but it much better to hear from someone who has done it. So far I have three positive answers, any one else running 15/50?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am currently running 15/47. This is great for city streets as second gear is all I really need. But there is not enough top speed power for my occasional highway trips.

So I have a 49 tooth rear waiting to install when the snow melts. I think (*desperately hope) 15/49 will be perfect.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I ran 14/44, 14/45 and 14/47 on my TW. 14/45 and 14/44 were OK until you try to use 5th gear.....there's NO power and I think such tall gearing is actually doing more harm than good to the engine since it just doesn't have the power to pull.

14/47 was much better. 5th gear actually has some power to tackle moderate hills, wheras with 14/44 even the slightest incline will have you downshifting, especially at 45 or below.

15/50 or 14/47 is definitely the way to go. If you're just exploring dirt roads and not really tight trails 15/50 would be perfect for you - the biggest advantage being a more comfortable cruise on the highway.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, After a a day of playing with the sprocket-RPM calculator, and a hard objective look at where and how I ride. I've decided the factory got it right and the stock gearing is perfect for me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the 15-50 as it sounds better around town. You don't gain anything in 5th and you don't lose anything in 1st, it just sounds quieter with less revs thru the gears. The top speed test is questionable / hills & wind, and if your stuck in some mud are a couple of t going to save you ? People find combo's they like. Try a few. reds

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Buy a 126 , you can dock 2 off if it's too long

I asked because I just put new x-ring chains on each of my bikes that currently have 14/50 sprockets. I was thinking that if I didn't have to get a longer chain I might try a 15T front.

Edit: I found the sprocket calculator and it says with 15/49 I can still use my 122 link chain. Sprockets are pretty cheap. I think I'll try it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
15/47 fits mine with the snails on 4. I also hope 15/49 will fit with 122 links!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I am thinking about the 15 front too and wonder if I need to get a 126 to make it work. I have to go see where my "snails are set now."

·
Registered
267 Posts
i thought i read on here it is hard to change front sprocket ? so i ordered a set of 14/47 sprockets and oring chain set.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
i thought i read on here it is hard to change front sprocket ? so i ordered a set of 14/47 sprockets and oring chain set.

n202diver did a great pictorial in the tech section. http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/4152-chain-and-sprockets-replacement-pictorial/

It's not hard to change the front sprocket, but if you don't want to take off the left side cover, most folks just change the rear.

I've replaced my front sprocket due to wear (stayed stock & didn't change tooth count), and the main things to watch for, or be aware of: be careful not to tear the side cover gasket if you want to try and re-use it. I replaced mine just to be safe. Also, you have to be careful not to pinch the wires when putting the side cover back on. If you've not already removed the side cover, my advice is to pay real close attention to where the wires are located when you take it apart. If not, you may end up staring at it for 15-20 minutes saying to yourself "I should have payed more attention". This is what I did ha ha.

You may also check the inner and outer seals for leakage with the side cover off. I checked mine, but didn't replace them as they weren't showing any signs of leaking.

After replacing both front and rear sprockets on my TW, I would find it much quicker to just change the rear sprocket, but hey, it's fun to tinker!

Admiral

P.S. you'll like the o-ring type chain.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was set to change the front but after reading about it I am going to do the rear for now. I think a 47 will be about right

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not ready to breech the left side of my engine just yet, and have also ordered a 47 tooth sprocket for the rear. I JUST put the 50 tooth one on last week, but the bike is geared all wrong for street use. I'm wringing out the engine at 50mph. I can practically take off in 2nd gear with no clutch chatter.

My bike came with a 44 tooth rear sprocket (and a nice O-Ring chain!) but it is too wussy to haul my 160lb body into -any- wind and maintain 55mph.

So, I'm splitting the difference and trying the 47 tooth sprocket which I think will work with my 122 link chain given that I'm on #1 on the adjusters with the 50 tooth rear sprocket.

I'll be sure to report back since I'm both picky and opinionated

The bike honestly feels like it'd be fine with 14:50 but needs a tall over driven 6th gear to shift into for road use. I shift into 5th gear at 32mph in my city driving habits.

·
Registered
310 Posts
14:47 is where it's at. At least for me with my weight and how I prefer to ride the bike.

Still enough ooomph out of 1st gear to ride offroad and still enough ooomph in 5th gear to pull me up over 60mph. Like I said above, I'm 160 pounds and with 47 teeth on the back I am already seeing the bike unable to overcome the coefficient of drag in 5th gear. The engine is able to wind out higher with a 50 tooth rear sprocket back there (and perhaps attain a higher top speed.) But for my use around town, the 14:47 makes much more sense because it makes the bike feel more like I'm on some of my other street bikes or my 2 stroke enduros from the 70s.

I am able to use my 122 link chain with both the 50 tooth and 47 tooth sprockets. I paid 25 bucks on ebay for the JT sprocket, so I think changing out the rear is the cheapest way to go on the TW200 because you don't need to buy a new paper gasket for the left side engine cover. It's also just quicker and easier.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts