TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests I'll be installing 15 front, 54 rear sprockets. Going with a D.I.D. 428 Pro-Street VX Series X-Ring Motorcycle Chain, D.I.D. 428 Pro-Street VX Series X-Ring Motorcycle Chain - BikeBandit.com . Stock is 122 and I have about an inch and a quarter space between the front of the wheel and the swing arm.

Should I get the 126 or the 122?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oilhed I have new (used) rear wheel coming and I'm putting a Duro Power Grip on that. I'm going to put the 54 tooth on that and with the 15 in front of it it should be pretty close to stock, which I think is just fine for trail riding, stump jumping and such. I'm going to leave the the 50 on the stock rim/tire and with the 15 in front of that it should be adequate for road use. Then I can just switch back and forth and not wear out my Duro on the roads.

·
Registered
486 Posts
oilhed I have new (used) rear wheel coming and I'm putting a Duro Power Grip on that. I'm going to put the 54 tooth on that and with the 15 in front of it it should be pretty close to stock, which I think is just fine for trail riding, stump jumping and such. I'm going to leave the the 50 on the stock rim/tire and with the 15 in front of that it should be adequate for road use. Then I can just switch back and forth and not wear out my Duro on the roads.
Great idea. Hows that work with the drum brake, do you have two setups or just move the pads from one drum to the other?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheel is coming with it's own brake shoe plate. I'll assess those shoes and drum when I actually have it in hand. Should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I don't understand, why do you want to use that gearing.
Stock is 14/50 -> 3,571
15/54 -> 3,600
This is 0,8% longer as stock.
-->> There no sense to change to 15/54

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
DA, I kinda see Mac's point. Everyone i've seen put on a duro seems to be going 14/55 because of the tires weight and size to get closer to stock gearing and maybe a little better dirt performance. Been watching the duro threads for a long time. I f I had an extra wheel like you I would be doing the same thing. One for a duro and one stock, but my duro would be setup for more dirt/trail riding 14/55 or 60. Good luck on the mounting and let us know how it goes. On the chain, I would get a 130 and cut it down so you can have the max amount of room for that duro and still use it for your stock setup.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
DA, I kinda see Mac's point. Everyone i've seen put on a duro seems to be going 14/55 because of the tires weight and size to get closer to stock gearing and maybe a little better dirt performance. Been watching the duro threads for a long time. I f I had an extra wheel like you I would be doing the same thing. One for a duro and one stock, but my duro would be setup for more dirt/trail riding 14/55 or 60. Good luck on the mounting and let us know how it goes. On the chain, I would get a 130 and cut it down so you can have the max amount of room for that duro and still use it for your stock setup.
That would be Golden.:icon_thumright: Riding a TW with a 14/60 and a Big Gnarly Tire. (Gnarly) is when you've gone beyond radical, beyond extreme, it's balls out danger. I'm with you Golden I want one too. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want the 15 front so I can switch to the 50 stock rear tire an get a little more top end on the highway. Do you think the 15/54 is not low enough? The calcs put it at pretty close to the stock ratio, a tad lower if any thing. Is the Duro tire bigger that much bigger in diameter?

As for mounting it I am going to have a pro do it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sounds like you need a second bike. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a second, and a third, and a fourth. They are all classics and way above my riding abilities to wreak out what they were made to do, now. I love this little TW. I can twist the throttle wide open, go through the woods where there are no trails, run down to the grocery store far a gallon of milk or a six pack of beer, ....

....I guess you're right. I should just get another one.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a side by side comparison. Duro 26x8x14 on the left, stock TW in the middle.

View attachment 17659
So how much longer in diameter is that? What rear are you running? I have the un-mounted Duro here and it looks like it's smaller in diameter.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks Brian. What chain length do you have? What front sprocket? I just ordered a 126 link. Too short? I want to run a 15/50 for road with the stock rear end and was thinking 15/54 for the Duro for trails. I don't want to run the Duro on the road for a couple of reasons, one being wear, the other it's not DOT.

Does look like one chain will work though.

Check that. I see you have two master links with four links between them. I always thought, and was told, that's not good.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I am running the stock 14 tooth front sprocket.

The last couple of chains that I bought were 132 links. Here is the one that I use.

KMC O-Ring Chain 428UO

I am not sure what length that you will need, but there should be enough range in your snail adjusters to adjust between the 50 and 54 rear sprockets. It will just depend on how things fit together. You will want to have the Duro mounted as far back in the axle slots as possible to allow maximum clearance with the front of the swingarm.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
I have about 3,000 miles on my Duro, with about 80% of that on the road. I wouldn't worry too much about wearing one out by riding it on the road.

I also wouldn't worry too much about using two master links. It is unlikely that the TW's 12 horsepower (ok, maybe 13) will come close to overloading these chains.

Regarding DOT, for some unexplained reason, here is what mine says:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts