TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after waiting more than a month for my sprockets to arrive from Riders Discount in Michigan USA to me over here in South Africa I was able to do my conversion today. I only did not make it with the last final step - broke the clip of the master link on the new x-ring chain!

I will take it to the bike shop tomorrow for them to put it on.

I'm going 15/42 from 14/50 because I use the bike to commute in the city and every time go through an intersection I'm already in third gear and now my 5th gear can also be used to cruise at 55-60 mph without the engine having to overwork itself.

If it wasn't for the advice and tutorials that I found on this forum I never would have been able to do this conversion in such a short time, thanks guys!!!

23062015074.jpg 23062015075.jpg

I put the bike over on her side so that I don't have to drain the oil, according to advice from littletommy

23062015076.jpg

Yes count them, 7 broken teeth on the old sprocket!

23062015082.jpg

New 15 tooth front sprocket and new DID x-ring chain installed.

I'm going to do some testing and then let you guys know how this conversion worked out for me.

Registered
I don't remember the brand, but I had the clip break on the master link in about a hundred miles of easy riding. It was made from thin gauge metal, and I am guessing you did everything right with the bad 'keeper.' I am thinking about changing sprocket sizes soon because I moved to paved roads, so I also would like to hear how the change is for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, I will be interested to see how this new gearing works out for you.

Hopefully there aren't any hills on your commute :).
If the hill is to steep I'll just down shift a gear, not a problem for me :cool:

I'll see how it works out, I actually do have a long steep hill on my way back from work.

Registered
I ran 15 and 42with a 235lb rider and atv tires front and rear for quite a while and was really happy with it. The only time it ever presented a problem was on slow trails. There it is worthless and dangerous, but on more casual trails its fine and on the road it is a big plus. Nice to have the bike quiet down a little bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was only able to test acceleration from standstill today - very impressive, because the first and second gear is a bit longer they are also much more usable and practical.

I'm going for a 30 mile round trip tomorrow, riding in the suburbs, a bit of free-way and a 2-mile steep uphill as I ride out of the city into the suburbs.

I will let you guys know how it worked out

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I ran 15 and 42with a 235lb rider and atv tires front and rear for quite a while and was really happy with it. The only time it ever presented a problem was on slow trails. There it is worthless and dangerous, but on more casual trails its fine and on the road it is a big plus. Nice to have the bike quiet down a little bit.
235lb and you were happy with it?

If you were happy with acceleration and general performance this means that there is no problem with the power output of this sprocket combo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Report after first test ride

Just returned from my first proper test run and I am grinning from ear to ear, it feels like I have a brand new bike! :D

I'm going to take this one point at a time to explain everything to you guys

Acceleration

I did not experience any problems with it at all. Every time I pulled away from a traffic light I was up to speed in no time, maybe it is a fraction of a second slower than the 15/50 combo but it is negligible.

General Performance

There is a lot less gear changes in general when I'm riding around the city and urban roads, which makes riding easier and more enjoyable.The gear ratio of my old 5th gear is more or less the same as my new 4th gear which means I don't use the 5th gear much when I commute in the city but once I get onto the open road it is time for the fun to begin!

Open Road Cruising

As soon as I go to 5th gear everything changes, NO howling noise and vibrations of the engine being revved in the red, just SMOOTH and QUIET cruising and enjoying the scenery.

She goes up to 65 mph very easy but because of the traffic I couldn't push her to 70 mph but that will definitely be the limit on a flat road which is more than adequate for me because I want to cruise at 60-65 mph and I don't want to go faster than that.

Please remember that the engine is revving at a low 6500 rpm at 60 mph which also means there is a significant drop in fuel consumption.(around 20% less if my calculations are correct)

When I go uphill it is necessary for me to down shift to 4th every now and then but it is not a problem for me to do that at all.

Final Conclusion

This is absolutely a win-win situation because it feels to me that I've gained an extra gear to ride around with, this gearing set-up is highly recommended by me for those who use their bikes mostly for the road!

Please feel free to ask me any questions you want and I also want to give another report in a week or two from now after I've done more than a 100 miles with this ratio :cool:

Super Moderator
Hey Brother Corn....littletommy here.

Bro, that was an excellent post, very well written also brother.

I'm excited for you and it has been a pleasure watching your progress. I'm really glad you are a part of the forum here my dear friend. It's cool having a friend way way over there in South Africa too!

Thanks again bro!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Tommy

I just want to add that I ride with the brilliant Bridgestone dual purpose TW203/204 tyre combination which makes the bike run very smooth and sure footed at all times, if you have knobbies on your bike it will not work out the same for you

Registered
I only ride my TW to work a handful of times as it's a 80+ mile round trip commute. I rode my new TW yesterday with the stock 14/50 gearing. 55 mph was nice an easy, 60 mph started to stress, and when I could get up to near 65 mph, really buzzing.

So, with you're successful test, you've inspired me to at least try a 47T rear tooth. Few weeks ago on my old TW I changed from a 55T to 50T for the road, and was surprised at how much lower the RPM's were. I suppose I might be just as surprised by changing to a 47T. Few weeks from now I might just try it. Not the same as your's, but you've inspired me to at least try it.

Thanks for posting your follow up. Good stuff!

Registered
This thread makes me realize that I want to paint my TW in Rhodesian baby poop camo! :headbang:

What, you ask, does this have to do with 15:42 gearing?
Nothing. Only where Cornelis is from! :biggrin:

Registered
Cornelis I also run the Bridgestone dual purpose TW203/204 and I think alot of people would also be surprised how nice they are and how well they work both on and off road. The front is definately better than that stock knobby and honestly the rear is not much different even in mud. I run 14/45 but also wouldn't mind a little higher gearing other than for some of the tricky spots off-road. Thanks for sharing with us.

Super Moderator
So, with you're successful test, you've inspired me to at least try a 47T rear tooth.QUOTE]

Admiral; I just rode past your place up to Cambridge yesterday. I could have dropped off the 45 tooth and chain for you to try out. The 65 tooth too. Too busy now getting ready for weekend guests to drive out to you - but - you pass my way going to and from work. Call me and set up a time. If I can't be here; I can leave them by the front door. joe
Another fine example of the willingness of members here to help one another. +1 Joe !!:D

Registered
I was running a 47T for a while and changed back for the Moab trip, glad for that as I needed that low gear for the deep sand. Also when we did a bit of hill climbing in San Margarita, I think that the 47 would have been a stall on one hill. For all around I do believe stock is the winner. I only speak for me at 270lbs. You lightweights can do with some taller gears than me.

Registered
I weigh 220 lbs and recently changed my TW as follows to gain a few more MPH to safely travel at the speed required on roads around my house: Bridgestone 203 & 204 tires, 14 - 47 sprokets, and O-ring chain. I have traveled 200 miles of blacktop roads on this combination and it really helped with quieting the engine and a smoother ride at 40 - 55 MPH which I can now cruise at. Before the change I felt 40 - 45 MPH was the best speed to cruise at and 50 - 55 MPH was red line. I hope to get to ride and test my TW soon on mountain roads and gravel forest trails, from sea level to 3500 feet elevation. I will post my results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts