TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever ran a 16 tooth front sprocket? I'm taking a trip in two weeks so I will need to be on the highway for quite a few miles and I just don't want to have the bike screaming. This is not an off road trip this is a 95% paved road Ride. I have changed Front sprockets before so that's not a problem I just never tried a 16 tooth before. I did get one from PJs sprockets. What do you all think ? thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I ran the PBI 16 for about a thousand miles.

With 47 rear it was great for my city riding. I’m rarely off road.

45 rear was constant downshifting.

42 rear was unusable.

Never tried it with the 50.

Sold that bike this summer.

I’m 170 lbs. Moderately hilly here. Close enough to Lake Michigan to have frequent windy conditions.

I’ve done enough experimenting that I’ve determined I can meet my riding needs without touching the front sprocket. 14/42 is my go to choice now. Street tires (TW203 and 204) make road riding 100 times better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help. I'm gonna try the 16 / 50 and see how it goes. Hope to get the swap done this weekend. Will let you know how it works out. I also have a 47 rear laying around if I need more top end. Will only keep this configuration for this trip then switch it back.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 2006 was 15/47 and that was ideal for highway riding. I could get 75 mph on flat roads without winding the bike out. 4th gear was like the old 5th gear. I didn't really feel like I lost much off the bottom end either, though the top gear didn't have much acceleration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts