TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Weekly afternoon ride not too far away from port where I encounter day after the downpour trail conditions and a deadly vicious pack of Coyotes!

What a great afternoon for riding. And by afternoon I mean after work...on the record :icon_pirat:

People just can't help themselves. Spend more time (and hopefully gas) running out to the BLM to dump their junk than it would be to go to the dump

Sad and angry :(:mad:

So you suppose this was a government agency like the BLM dumping off their old library?

Here is that pack of deadly vicious coyotes. I feared for my life...ok, maybe I'm exaggerating

Didn't take a photo but it's in the video, I rode a short distance up an old railroad grade. Scoob, the little TW that could.

Carry on!

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My one overwhelming question in midst of all that beauty, is ... Did the coyotes have bullet wounds?;)
Couldnt resist. Sorry. Awesome vid. Thanks for bringing us along.

I suffer from "odorous resistis" when it comes to animals who appear to have been deceased for more than an hour (depending on ambient temperature). In short, I didn't get off the TW to look. Lots of people practice coyote calling but I would think these were "located" in separate spots and "placed" at this location. This was at one of the main entry points to this BLM area so for the life of me I do not know why they would put them here. Laziness I suppose!

Admiral hunting factoid. I once harvested or shot an Elk if you will. After the initial shot, we tracked the fallen elk to a brushy hell-hole spot a short distance away but it was still alive. A second shot put him out of his misery.

So while we were field dressing and skinning the elk we looked but could not find any bullets holes entry or exit. Not one! Not even the final shot. Our theory is I scared it to death and all my shots missed! :p

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a book lover, I hate to see someone dumping them... :(

How does someone nab half a dozen coyotes??? :confused:
Even nice people dump their trash. Just look in any roadside ditch! It really does suck people do this.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Here we have trash pickup in your property taxes sooo no need for that, as you put it out they come get it EASY. But idiots still..... dump everywhere. Bet someone shot the coyotes and dumped them their. Maybe same person dumping the other stuff too. People are so lazy for throwing stuff out their car window, they are more then likely passing a trash can several times a day. I keep old plastic grocery bags for trash in my truck.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The mattress burn pretty good and if the have inner springs, they can make a good drag with some weight for smoothing trails �� great video!

A few years back, a buddy shot two deer within a few minutes. While we were dressing the first, coyotes ate a third of the second deer and it was 100 yards away. Thier population wasn't as pronounced this year, but they got so used to eating our deer, they would howl when a gun went off to call others in for dinner in years past.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Darn you Kris; getting in all that practice for Moab. My bike is on the trailer. I could actually leave on about an hours notice - with a week to go before departure.
I'm always ready too. I could be headed to Moab easy within 10 days. Oh wait, it's less than 10 days now. Chit, crap, I better get ready!

My getting prepared to go thus far is making mental notes of where I think I left stuff I need to take! Yikes, I better get with it. Son #2 is coming out Sunday to tune up his bike and I'll presume loadup! I was gonna back up the trailer to the shop and start thinking about loading some today. ...and I'm putting my Moab sprocket on too. Been running around here with 13/50 which actually has been pretty good but I want a little more grunt for the sand. Was trying to decide on the 54 or 60 sprockets. I think I should try the 60 before Sunday so I know exactly how it feels. Had the 54 on before the failed 13/44 sea trial. Where did I put my tooth brush again!!!:D

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The mattress burn pretty good and if the have inner springs, they can make a good drag with some weight for smoothing trails �� great video!

A few years back, a buddy shot two deer within a few minutes. While we were dressing the first, coyotes ate a third of the second deer and it was 100 yards away. Thier population wasn't as pronounced this year, but they got so used to eating our deer, they would howl when a gun went off to call others in for dinner in years past.
I've always worried about bear, mtn. lion, and wolves on a kill but not Wiley E. Coyote! Luckily, never had an animal on any kill...except birds! Doh!

Quick Coyote howling story. Many years ago I was on a hike in the Snake River Canyon when a couple Air Force A-10 Warthogs flew over the canyon at just above canyon rim altitude. I'm guess the slightly weird sound of the A-10's engines set off a pack of coyote's howling for several minutes afterward. Even though the coyotes were across the river, I had no idea they were so close. It was a neat experience.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh wait, it's less than 10 days now. Chit, crap, I better get ready!
Was trying to decide on the 54 or 60 sprockets.
You should go with the 60 tooth. --- Your 13-50 equaled 14-54 (higher than what you ran with the 14 front). --- 13-54 equals 14-58 (only 3 teeth on the rear lower geared than you ran).

13-60 equals 14-65 (what I've been running with stock tires - and you have the atv tire on now). Only drawback would be if we run faster then 45 on pavement sections (where my 'mental' rev limiter will kick in).

Also I may not be done packing. Just ran downtown on the Grom. Thinking of loading it on the trailer too. If the TW breaks; I can still go cruise the beautiful scenery from the pavement (vacation backup plan).

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
I would try the 13/60 combo as it will be good for Poison Spider's Golden Crash. If it is too top speed limiting on the pavement then the 13/54 certainly is a proven combination. I'll still have the 13/55/ [email protected] combination for Moab.

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have seen an occasional coyote near the area we live but not close. We have seen many fox every year. One year when Georgie was young she and a fox played out in the pasture together a couple times. Oh, and badgers too but they don't play well with others!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts