TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched threads for 18 inch rear wheel. Didn't find anything.

Has anyone laced one up or other wise installed? Might be interesting how they'd perform with a MT43 on the back. It has very very good traction off road and is DOT.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Searched threads for 18 inch rear wheel. Didn't find anything.

Has anyone laced one up or other wise installed? Might be interesting how they'd perform with a MT43 on the back. It has very very good traction off road and is DOT.
The rear hss a different spoke count from the front. 32 vs. 36. Not a lot of stock rims have the 32 spoke setup but they can be had.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ain't Google great!!?? If Google was a girl I'd ask her to marry me:rolleyes:

This is OEM 18 inch'er for a 1989 CR500.

For some reason the link just comes up with a red rim. Choose color, (silver of course) then you get to choose between a 19 and 18 inch rim.

Warp 9 Rear 32 Hole Rim - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore
I have one for the LSR TW. Just haven't laced it up yet. I think the CR's were the widest takeoff stocker I could find.

The SCTA won't let us run a 14 incher. Lemme know what you come up with for spokes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, maybe I won't propose to Google after all. So what is a LSR TW and SCTA in your usage?

What I come up with for spokes? I posted the link to the rim so others could try it. I'll be waiting also. Unless I get my other projects finished which will be a while.

Search Results

SCTA - Home Page

www.[B]scta[/B]-bni.org/‎
Sanctioning Body for the land speed racing meets at Bonneville Salt Flats, El Mirage, and Muroc.

SCTA - California Teachers Association

Southern California Timing Association - Wikipedia, the free ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California_Timing_Association‎
Southern California Timing Association (SCTA) is a competition sanctioning body that maintains rules and record for Land Speed Racing events held at El ...

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yep, that SCTA. Another member and I are gunna take a couple of TWs to El Mirage. His bike is about done. Mine will prolly be done 5 minutes before race time if I know me.

Anyway we can't run a 14 even if the bike came stock with it. So I will be doing one as well.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, that SCTA. Another member and I are gunna take a couple of TWs to El Mirage. His bike is about done. Mine will prolly be done 5 minutes before race time if I know me.

Anyway we can't run a 14 even if the bike came stock with it. So I will be doing one as well.
That'd be cool at Speed Week. Worlds Fastest TW.

Now about the LSR TW? Larry Stroker Roesler?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure what width of rim you want to go with, but I now have a 2.15 x 18 Warp 9 rim laced to my TW's rear hub. Totally changes the ride.
This is good! LB and I are anxiously awaiting the spoke selection details. I've been riding with trials tires on various dirt bikes for maybe 7-8 years now. I'd like to put one on the back of the TW and see what happens. There's a lot of places I go that I think, "Gee, a trials tire wouldn't have spun there". Especially on large grey flat rock surfaces.

It'd cost about $200 plus spokes to try but I'd like to. If a failed experiment I could always use the tire on one of my dirt bikes.

It would be nice to get a 2.5 rim like the front but a 2.15 should be ok too.

The trials tires are very tall in profile. The measuring I've done indicate they might fit without stretching the swingarm and they might not.

Is your swingarm stretched or stock?

Thanks a heap for the post and pics!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure what width of rim you want to go with, but I now have a 2.15 x 18 Warp 9 rim laced to my TW's rear hub. Totally changes the ride.
This is good! LB and I are anxiously awaiting the spoke selection details. I've been riding with trials tires on various dirt bikes for maybe 7-8 years now. I'd like to put one on the back of the TW and see what happens. There's a lot of places I go that I think, "Gee, a trials tire wouldn't have spun there". Especially on large grey flat rock surfaces.

It'd cost about $200 plus spokes to try but I'd like to. If a failed experiment I could always use the tire on one of my dirt bikes.

It would be nice to get a 2.5 rim like the front but a 2.15 should be ok too.

The trials tires are very tall in profile. The measuring I've done indicate they might fit without stretching the swingarm and they might not.

Is your swingarm stretched or stock?

Thanks a heap for the post and pics!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The swingarm is stock. Tire is a Kenda 760 Trakmaster (110/100 x 18). I have over 1000 miles on it and really enjoy the change.

oh, and the spokes were custom made by Buchanan's. they have the specs one needs to do the mod, but will need which rim you have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
trailscout,

I do have a 21 inch rim on the front. It is a Warp 9, 1.60 x 21 rim. It's laced to the stock hub as well.

With regard to wheel changes, Spudrider has been quite helpful: Zongshen 200GY-2: Custom, 18-inch Rear Wheel - ChinaRiders Forums.

One problem that I've had with a 21 inch wheel up front is that I will occasionally get the front fender to rub the wheel. To solve this, I'm working on swapping front ends with an XT200. Steering stems on the XT and TW are the same.

Take care,

wa_medic

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. Another option for the wheel rubbing might be to use a spacer to raise the fork brace and fender. I think I've read where some do this anyhow.

I have a couple of dirt bikes with 21 inch front wheels. The wide front tire on the TW does handle the deep loose sand a little better than the narrower 21. Far as that goes, so does the ATV on the back but in other places I'm not sure they'd measure up to a trials tire. But I'm not sure they won't either.

Fun to play tinker toy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.