TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While Stationed at both Nha Trang and then Tan Son Nhut{Saigon} in the late 60s into 1970 I was amazed daily with how the Vietnam people got around and how much and how many people they could carry...

My old Vietnam Air Force Sky Cop buddy lives in Vietnam today and travels the country on his scooters, provided by his daughter who owns a shop in Cam Rahn Bay...Bill post photos and videos of his travels....he found this little rig in a museum yesterday:

Honda 67.jpg

and I've seen them loaded up much heavier than this one: Here are some photos from my collection at Nha Trang in 1969 and from the photos Bill has posted, travel at least, has not changed much since the war ended...:rolleyes:

Nha Trang AB 196939.jpg Nha Trang AB 196942.jpg Nha Trang AB 196941.jpg

·
Registered
742 Posts
I really like those little Hondas. They are simple, reliable, fuel efficient, and inexpensive. It's no wonder the Vietnamese like them so much.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wish I could have brought one home...:rolleyes: I have had a couple of Wranglers, but nothing like those I drove as a Sky Cop at Nha Trang{1969} and Tan Son Nhut{Saigon} in 1970....

Nha Trang Jeep Patrol 1969.jpg

Hoot at Gate Shack as it entered the Green Beret Camp McDermott{Nha Trang} compound....those guys didn't have a lot of use for us Fly Boys...but what the Hell? We just laughed it off...:p

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's a "Air Force Sky Cop"? USAF MP?
Yep, we were Air Police, then in 68 became Security Police, and now they call them Security Forces...freaking AF can't figure out what the Hell we were...but back in the day we worked either Base Police>>>> Nha Trang Civilian Gate.jpg

Or Security>>>> V100.jpg

I worked mostly Security, except for about 7 months at Nha Trang in the "Summer of 69";)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
While Stationed at both Nha Trang and then Tan Son Nhut{Saigon} in the late 60s into 1970 I was amazed daily with how the Vietnam people got around and how much and how many people they could carry...

My old Vietnam Air Force Sky Cop buddy lives in Vietnam today and travels the country on his scooters, provided by his daughter who owns a shop in Cam Rahn Bay...Bill post photos and videos of his travels....he found this little rig in a museum yesterday:

View attachment 18981

and I've seen them loaded up much heavier than this one: Here are some photos from my collection at Nha Trang in 1969 and from the photos Bill has posted, travel at least, has not changed much since the war ended...:rolleyes:

View attachment 18982 View attachment 18983 View attachment 18984

I want to get one of the Helmand motorcycles that are everywhere in Afghanistan. I believe they are honda clones.

I could only find this picture with six, but I once saw one of these bike with seven human persons aboard

apparently the prince of englandland likes them too...

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how did you like that S&W M15? I have one of those, along with the Bucheimer holster the AF used.
Still have my holster from the AF Days...but back in the 1968-72 time frame, SPs carried mostly M-2s stateside, along with the S&W .38 police special...in Nam we carried the M-16 and the .38...usually our jeeps were equipped with an M-60 or M-50 as well, if we were riding dual and doing SAT Patrol...

Nha Trang AB 196962.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
The first bike I owned way back when I was around 12 was one of those.....68 model 90cc's. You couldn’t kill that thing with a sledge hammer. Speaking of hammers I was given another one by a fella in the neighbourhood for "parts". It was one of the step through,automatic scooter models. He couldn't get it running right. Within a day I had it purring like a kitten. It had a bent pushrod that I straightened with a hammer, then reassembled with gaskets made from cardboard and then proceeded to beat the hell out of that one also. I have always had a soft spot for the Trail CT90 and would buy one in a heartbeat just because. The pictures are just random ones copied off the net.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts