TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a dead 1984 XT250 parts bike. It has front drum brakes. Does anyone know if i can use the forks on he TW? I need a little more height to compensate for my rear shock and rake. Obviously a triple bore will be necessary but has anyone tried this? Just wondering if ill be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Just picked up a dead 1984 XT250 parts bike. It has front drum brakes. Does anyone know if i can use the forks on he TW? I need a little more height to compensate for my rear shock and rake. Obviously a triple bore will be necessary but has anyone tried this? Just wondering if ill be the guinea pig.
Do your homework and see if you can either locate the wheel travel specs on that old XT or (better) pull the springs and measure it yourself. Most bikes of that vintage didn't have any more travel to speak of than the TW, including the 500's. Yamaha lies.

May or may not be any worthwhile gain but at minimum you're looking at boring the triples and making spacers. Things to look out for to make things go smoother are to make sure that the brake stay cast into the inside of the left fork leg will engage the TW brake backing plate, that the axle hole diameters are the same, etc.

Another possibility would be to use the entire front end and 21, as-is. Should be a near bolt-on but the triples may bang your tank or limit future tank options.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill get a few measuring devices out and see what i come up with. At a minimum i all i want is extra length. Any more travel is only a plus. I got my back end jacked way up and the rake is kinda scary. Anyone got an extra set of triples?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The XT forks may have something to offer. Look into it.

If all you want is extra length YZ tubes can be mated to TW lowers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good. Now im certain it can be done, and it shall be done! Ill post some pics of the install once i get it going. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
You can probably make use of the XT's longer speedo and brake cables as well. With longer legs and tall bars the TW stuff is stretched to the limit. I used XT350 stuff on mine.

I saw Rodrey's bike in the flesh but it was several years ago. Can't recall how he handled the details such as spacers.

He also took a shot at installing the 250 motor in a TW frame. The results were not pretty. They're pretty massive relative to our motors and he eventually abandoned the project.

·
Registered
62 Posts
flyhunter,

Good luck with the swap. I'm in the process of swapping 1983 XT200 forks myself. I'll post up some pictures when done. Clymer has a good service manual that may help out. Here is some data that may help you and others considering the swap.

Search old posts here and on Advrider too. Lizrdbrth has contributed much on this topic.

wa_medic

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lizrdbrth, I thought about doing the XT350 swap from my other parts bike but i would have had to swap hubs. I did feel much like doing that. I would assume the stock spacer off the TW would work fine. Unless the profile of the new forks is different. Did you have to use spacers? I think the 250/350 forks are the same aside from the caliper/drum mounts.

I considered putting the 250 motor in there but after reading that, i wont bother. It would be sweet to have a 4-valve sleeper though.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Just to be clear, my front end isn't an XT, it's a TW/YZ hybrid. I was just suggesting that you'll probably need a longer speedo and brake cables as I did and that you rob those parts from the donor bike. I happened to get mine from an XT350. In fact I've robbed a lot of parts from various Yamahas including longer brake arms, hoses, shifters, cables, kickstands etc. Most bolted right up.

Trying not to get TOO far off topic but since you have a couple of great donor bikes at your disposal, Yamaha interchangeability is sometimes your pal. For example all the kickstand mounting plates on the frames are the same and the longer/shorter kickstands from one model bolt up to almost any other model and you'll need a longer kickstand. If you wanted to swap the complete front end most of the steering heads are the same height and diameter so you could do it with stock bearings and races, etc.

I was just giving you some examples of things to check regarding front end swaps in general. The reason I suggested that you check the actual travel yourself is because the published figures are usually pure fiction. IIRC Yamaha lists the TW at 6.2" when in fact it's 5 inches, even. My TT500 is listed at 8 but in reality it's just north of 6. It seems like a worthwhile swap but if there's not much to be gained in terms of travel from your swap a pair of YZ tubes will get you the height with no machine work whatsoever. Despite having the donor bike a pair of YZ tubes will probably cost less than boring the triples for your swap alone.

Make sure you're gaining something, then if you are, go for it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohhh i got it. I saw that you said you "used the XT350 stuff" on yours. I mistook that as the forks and everything. My bad. But that is a great idea using the XT cables. The main gain im looking for is the rake. Ive got a few contacts with machine shops that can get my boring done free/cheap and a lathe at work i can use if spacers are needed. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It appears simply swapping tripples isnt an option. The steering stem is about a quarter inch short and the steering stops are off so it steers waaaaay to sharp and would end up bashing the tank. I could swap stems and weld on tabs for the stops but just boring the tripples seems to be the best option. More to come!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am for now i guess. I did want to use the 21" front that i had but ill have to modify a few things before that happens.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Xt250L forks are far too long for a TW, you'd have to have an 6-8" extended swingarm and lift to even things out...It would raise seat height almost 6 inch. XT200 forks would work better, but I think even those are 2-3" longer than stock TW and they are 35mm...RT180 forks like bikerjosh uses are the best for easy disk plus length increase. You still have to bore triples.

I have xt250L(1984), RT180, xt225, xt200, and stock TW forks all off bikes....I could show pics of side x side for comparison (need battery for camera) if you'd like. 004.jpg
1997 rt180 on the left, tw200 on the right.
XT200 similar to RT180 forks in L and D (but use drums )

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure about the XT250, but the XT200 triples are a direct swap with the TW steering stem. This will give you a 21 inch wheel with a drum brake and your speedo cluster should fit fine.

an XT225 front end works too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes, those two are direct 21" front end swaps, but I'm also talking about fork tubes that would work in the TW triples(by boring) in order to retain stock wide front rim. While not changing the stock front caster, trail, and rear geometry too drastically. Xt250L(XT350) forks are 36mm like XT225 forks, yet they are several inches longer than xt225 and even longer than 41mm xt600 forks by quite a bit. Xt225 are in turn an inch or two longer than XT200/ RT180 forks as well as being 36mm vs 35mm, as well as being disk only. Hope that clarifies a bit LOL.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
what's the advantage of a 21" wheel?

·
Registered
567 Posts
The 21" wheel will give a lighter more dirtbike feel on the road, they are probably an advantage if you ride a lot of heavily rutted trails...they may be a disadvantage in other loose dirt/rocky conditions. IMO if you want a DB feel, the xt225 is a superior choice to a TW as a Dualsport, so 21" kind of defeats the uniqueness of the TW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts