TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I took a look around but most posts are older.
Bought a 87 TW fixer upper and guessing needs carb love. Prev. owner installed cheap car. and prob why runs bad. Would like to take a stab at rebuilding but Bike Bandit says its bad due to that carb and they dont have kits or carbs.

Any advice to where to buy a kit or carb with links please?

FYI - Never rebuilt a carb

thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
A new 1987-2000 carb from Yamaha will cost over $400. Many have switched to the new style carb and used a clone from Amazon or Ebay. Search this site for the process.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you know the carb make/model? Might be able to find a rebuild kit if we knew what kind of clone it is.
If you're looking for a stock carb I have one off an 87 that was running last year laying around.... Rebuild kits tend to run around $30 from what I've seen.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Post a picture of the carb, if you can.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you already have a Chinese carb and it's giving you problems, you may want to just buy a replacement. They're cheap, and it may not be worth the struggle to resurrect the one you have. There are a lot of success stories on this forum from those who have used them. Full disclosure: I'm not one of them. I bought a new OEM carb for my '87.

·
Registered
923 Posts
'87 are famous for CDI problems and those problems often mimic carb. problems.
I agree. The CDI ended up being the main cause of problems on my '87.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys but what does "CDI" stand for? Also when I do get Carb sorted can I install one of those Wire Style Air Filter and remove the Plastic Air Filter Box?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I bought a new, original/OEM carb, which I think was in the neighborhood of $3hundy. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go with the Chinese carb to save some $.

Keep in mind, your problem may be the CDI and/or the carb. With the '87, this is often the case.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sorry guys but what does "CDI" stand for? Also when I do get Carb sorted can I install one of those Wire Style Air Filter and remove the Plastic Air Filter Box?

Considering your lack of experience with the mechanics of a motorcycle, my advice is to leave the modifications to someone who has knowledge of this stuff. Changing components, such as an air box, can result in the need to also modify the jetting in the carburetor. I'd go with the stock bike, if I was you.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Considering your lack of experience with the mechanics of a motorcycle, my advice is to leave the modifications to someone who has knowledge of this stuff. Changing components, such as an air box, can result in the need to also modify the jetting in the carburetor. I'd go with the stock bike, if I was you.
Yes, the bike will be going to my local great mechanic in a couple weeks since he is 2 weeks booked. I still like to ask questions to try to learn and attempt to do some things on my own. Never rebuilt a Carb and would like to learn. thanks for the info

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know the carb make/model? Might be able to find a rebuild kit if we knew what kind of clone it is.
If you're looking for a stock carb I have one off an 87 that was running last year laying around.... Rebuild kits tend to run around $30 from what I've seen.
pics added

·
Registered
923 Posts
That doesn't look like OEM carb, and for sure isn't the original carb that was equipped on an '87. I have pictures of the original carb I can post, if you need to see it.
The carb you have looks like it was just installed. It's good that he used a secondary inline fuel filter.
Can you describe the symptoms? Does it run at all?
Does it run better for a couple minutes when you first start it up (when the engine is cold), and then dies after it gets warmed up?

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That doesn't look like OEM carb, and for sure isn't the original carb that was equipped on an '87. I have pictures of the original carb I can post, if you need to see it.
The carb you have looks like it was just installed. It's good that he used a secondary inline fuel filter.
Can you describe the symptoms? Does it run at all?
Does it run better for a couple minutes when you first start it up (when the engine is cold), and then dies after it gets warmed up?
It starts but needs throttle or choke to stay running with some pop/backfiring if I remember correctly. Prev. owner said it ran better when Carb. was first installed but then sat around. Looked into the Foam filter and could squeeze come gas out of it. Maybe too Rich??
Would love to give it a go to try and improve it before the Mechanic gets to it. Should I remove and clean up? I dont know how to adjust.
thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts