TW200 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Is it gas in the air filter, or could it have been oil?
If it's gas, the float of the carburetor may be stuck and flooding. If that's the case, I'd just buy a new one. As you can see, they're super cheap!

Popping/backfiring is an indication that unburned gas is getting past the engine and in to the exhaust, where it ignites and explodes. This can be due to a timing issue, or also a bad spark plug, or also weak spark due to a bad coil or CDI, and maybe even other things. Replace the spark plug, if you haven't already.

It's my advice that you not try to fix a bunch of prospective problems at once - This makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem. One thing at a time, in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is it gas in the air filter, or could it have been oil?
If it's gas, the float of the carburetor may be stuck and flooding. If that's the case, I'd just buy a new one. As you can see, they're super cheap!

Popping/backfiring is an indication that unburned gas is getting past the engine and in to the exhaust, where it ignites and explodes. This can be due to a timing issue, or also a bad spark plug, or also weak spark due to a bad coil or CDI, and maybe even other things. Replace the spark plug, if you haven't already.

It's my advice that you not try to fix a bunch of prospective problems at once - This makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem. One thing at a time, in my opinion.
Sure Smelled like gas but could be oil. I can buy a plug and try that. Buying a carb is cheaper than a kit LOL

Was having starter issues and played around testing and bought a Starter relay but wasn't the issue. Starter worked out of case but not in. Having a battery delivered today and hoping thats the issue.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
921 Posts
The reason I'm asking, is that you typically lightly oil the air filter after cleaning. If it's saturated, you'll want to wring-out some of that oil. If it's gas, then it's a carb issue.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The angle of your throttle assembly on the carb needs to be changed. Search this forum for clone carb installs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The reason I'm asking, is that you typically lightly oil the air filter after cleaning. If it's saturated, you'll want to wring-out some of that oil. If it's gas, then it's a carb issue.

Where are you located?
Yes, totally and Im all for the questions :)

Im in Laguna Beach CA

·
Registered
921 Posts
Resolve that stuff and let us know. There are lots of really knowledgeable people here, and many of them have worked with the Chinese carbs. Keep asking questions and someone will answer.

You need to determine if it's a fuel problem, first. When that's eliminated as the culprit, then you can move on to more expensive items, such as the CDI.
If you're getting consistent backfiring, then it's likely it's, 1. getting too much fuel, or 2. the ignition is inconsistent.

Reactions: GrichG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The angle of your throttle assembly on the carb needs to be changed. Search this forum for clone carb installs.
Be great to hear more about the angle, thanks. Yes I know the Search you mentioned it :)

·
Super Moderator
5,644 Posts
I dont know how to adjust.
The point is, that with a Chinese carb, no-one knows how to adjust – they’re all different – different jet sizes – different jet fittings – it’s one big unholy mess

My advice is to let the mech deal with it, or buy the same thing again – rinse and repeat

All you will ever learn from buying a Chinese carb, is that when it doesn’t work, buy another one because they’re cheap and easy

As you may have surmised by now, from a personal view point, I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole. They have their uses if you’re on a budget, but with the OEM, we know what’s inside, and can fix it with a simple 30 buck re-fit kit. With the Chinese versions, all you can do is buy another one, because no-one is going to be bothered (even if they could) tell you what’s wrong with it. Maybe your mech, carb in hand, can sort it, but from here – no chance

Given the cost of the OEM carb, I would also (personally) suggest a reduction in re-sale price of 300 bucks, simply to reflect what you have on there (or what you are buying into)

I fully realise that this is one mans opinion, but I stand by it. How can you price a TW with a Chinese carb against one with an OEM carb. To those of you that are successfully running the Chinese version, good luck to you, and I mean that, but it’s not for me

One of the main reasons we buy into the whole TW thing, is because of the reliability, and how easy they are to work on. The Chinese carb is so “off plot” it makes a mockery of the whole thing. If the OEM carb was “indecipherable”, prone to failure, we’d be up in arms over the issue

What am I missing here – “I saved 250 bucks in exchange for a potential nightmare, but if it all goes tits up, I can always do it again”

Prefer riding them myself ……

21 - 32 of 32 Posts